Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
Hi Point has been rock solid so far, only had it 2 months though.
I personally like the stock but know others who have gone ATI and been very happy.
Thinking about adding a Red Dot and laser/light combo, maybe a Magpul grip.

Seems inventory is tight everywhere, lucked out at a Cabelas one day.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
Hi Point has been rock solid so far, only had it 2 months though.
I personally like the stock but know others who have gone ATI and been very happy.
Thinking about adding a Red Dot and laser/light combo, maybe a Magpul grip.

Seems inventory is tight everywhere, lucked out at a Cabelas one day.

Yeah, that's seems to be the issue. If I can manage to get my hands on one I will probably pull the trigger... no pun intended.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I wish I still had my last pistol. I had to sell it because I was a single Sailor reporting to a ship. It broke my heart.

Attachments

• Colt Python.jpg
    Colt Python.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 292

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Advice wanted.

I'm looking to buy my first handgun and there are so many choices out there. I've narrowed it down to a handful based on what I think I want, but I'd like some pros and cons and some opinions. Maybe you guys can give me some input.

What I want to do

This will be a range gun and home defense weapon (though hopefully it never comes to this).

I will probably never actually carry it on my person, though I don't want to completely rule it out. Unless I am using it, the gun will be locked up in a biometric safe in my house. I can't carry a firearm at work or even on work premises, so it won't remain in my car.

What I've decided so far

I've decided on either 9mm or .40 S&W. Both would have adequate stopping power (if needed). Both are common ammo, so availability shouldn't be a problem. And from what I can tell, cost of ammo is fairly close. Having said, that, I'm leaning slightly towards the .40.

I've decided that I'd probably like a gun with a sub-4" barrel. From the few I've held that I can recall, I prefer a more compact pistol. I also like the way that the shorter, more compact models look.

My Short list

Based on the information I've given, I think I've narrowed it down to a few choices. But I want to know if there's anything I missed or any opinions. In order of most desirable:

H&K P2000
Sig Sauer P229*
H&K USP Compact*
Walther PPQ M2
Springfield XD*

The * means that the local range rents this gun out and I could test these.

Lingering questions

I think I finally understand trigger actions and what DA/SA and DAO mean. But specifically why would I pick one or the other, or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I'm looking to buy my first handgun and there are so many choices out there. I've narrowed it down to a handful based on what I think I want, but I'd like some pros and cons and some opinions. Maybe you guys can give me some input.

What I want to do

This will be a range gun and home defense weapon (though hopefully it never comes to this).

I will probably never actually carry it on my person, though I don't want to completely rule it out. Unless I am using it, the gun will be locked up in a biometric safe in my house. I can't carry a firearm at work or even on work premises, so it won't remain in my car.

What I've decided so far

I've decided on either 9mm or .40 S&W. Both would have adequate stopping power (if needed). Both are common ammo, so availability shouldn't be a problem. And from what I can tell, cost of ammo is fairly close. Having said, that, I'm leaning slightly towards the .40.

I've decided that I'd probably like a gun with a sub-4" barrel. From the few I've held that I can recall, I prefer a more compact pistol. I also like the way that the shorter, more compact models look.

My Short list

Based on the information I've given, I think I've narrowed it down to a few choices. But I want to know if there's anything I missed or any opinions. In order of most desirable:

H&K P2000
Sig Sauer P229*
H&K USP Compact*
Walther PPQ M2
Springfield XD*

Lingering questions

I think I finally understand trigger actions and what DA/SA and DAO mean. But specifically why would I pick one or the other, or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance.

The two on the 5 you listed that I like are the P229 and the XD. The P229 is a very capable compact. The XD is basically a Glock with a grip angle more like a 1911. The trigger on the P229 will be better out of the box than the XD. I can almost guarantee it.

DA/SA, or double-action/single-action guns are pretty much guns that can be fired with the hammer down, meaning the hammer is decocked/uncocked, and when the trigger is pulled (and safeties are released/off), the trigger pull's action cocks the hammer and drops the hammer (fires) when the trigger pull is completed. The hammer is left in a cocked position after the gun is fired (and only decocked when the operator decocks the gun manually).

DAO, or double-action only typically means that the hammer is always in a 'down'/uncocked position after each trigger pull, and that the trigger pull will always cock and drop the hammer for each single pull.

With DA/SA, the first pull (hammer down / uncocked) is always heavier than the SA pull. For example, the DA pull weight might be 12 lbs, whereas the SA pull weight is 4 lbs on that same gun.

DAO will have the same trigger pull every time.

Note: There is a difference between DAO and a striker fired Single Action Only gun, which is what an XD is.

In a striker fired gun, the trigger pull weight is the same every time. But, the gun is not cocked by the trigger pull, only by the operation of the slide. With a DAO gun, the hammer is cocked and dropped everytime the trigger is pulled, even if the gun doesn't fire (no round in chamber). With a striker fired SAO, if you don't have a round in the chamber, but the gun is cocked (striker back), and pull the trigger, you cannot pull the trigger again to drop the striker unless you operate the slide.

As to why you would pick a specific one? Well, it's all personal preference.

From a carry and duty standpoint, I don't ever want to deal with DA/SA. When I draw and fire, I don't want to have to worry about a heavy DA pull on that first pull, and I'm never going to take the time to cock the hammer manually in a stress situation. That's why I prefer a striker fired SAO (I run Glocks).

DetroitNate

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013

Awesome! How do you like your SR9C? I'd love to pick one up when they are more readily available.

----------

What I want to do

What I've decided so far

My Short list

H&K P2000
Sig Sauer P229*
H&K USP Compact*
Walther PPQ M2
Springfield XD*

Lingering questions

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't forget about the Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm, .40SW, .45 ACP [full size only]), which comes in full size, compact and subcompact. It's a very high quality option for a very reasonable price. The rotating barrel from the Stoeger Cougar is a great design that results in low recoil. The PX4 is a pretty underrated option.

As far as DA/SA vs DAO or Striker Fired...Ocabj hit the nail on the head with his explanations. I will just give you my opinion on the two. In my limited experience with firearms, I have realized that most DA/SA triggers tend to be better (to me) than the stock striker fired triggers in the guns I have shot (Glock, FN, SW, etc)...But again, that is just my opinion on the two, and I'm far from an expert. That's why I tend to lean towards DA/SA guns if I plan on keeping the trigger stock.

What you need to do is rent or go shooting with a friend that has both types of action weapons and then decide what you prefer.

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks DetroitNate and ocabj for your input. I really should get to the range and try a few out. Hopefully they have some DA/SA and DAO variants I can try out. In theory, I like the idea that the DAO is a consistent pull weight, but how it feels in reality remains to be seen. As both of you have confirmed, it really just comes down to what I prefer.

I've been to a few gun shows recently so I've held a few of them, but they don't let you fire them there. I'll probably end up hitting Cabela's a time or two since it's easier to find specific guns. I figure I'll be able to hold the gun, get a feel for the slide and possibly a dry fire (I don't know if it's allowed there or not).

I'll let you know what I decide.

airmaxx28

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Florida
Awesome! How do you like your SR9C? I'd love to pick one up when they are more readily available.

----------

I wouldn't forget about the Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm, .40SW, .45 ACP [full size only]), which comes in full size, compact and subcompact. It's a very high quality option for a very reasonable price. The rotating barrel from the Stoeger Cougar is a great design that results in low recoil. The PX4 is a pretty underrated option.

As far as DA/SA vs DAO or Striker Fired...Ocabj hit the nail on the head with his explanations. I will just give you my opinion on the two. In my limited experience with firearms, I have realized that most DA/SA triggers tend to be better (to me) than the stock striker fired triggers in the guns I have shot (Glock, FN, SW, etc)...But again, that is just my opinion on the two, and I'm far from an expert. That's why I tend to lean towards DA/SA guns if I plan on keeping the trigger stock.

What you need to do is rent or go shooting with a friend that has both types of action weapons and then decide what you prefer.

I love it. I do prefer shooting my full sized sr9 but i find my self carrying the sr9c more often because it conceals much easier. I have put about 2000 rounds through it and have yet to have one problem with it. I would highly recommend one if you can find one at a decent price with all this price gouging thats going on these days.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
My AK74
3E3D672A-8D0F-43EF-9ADE-E4DC644016A0-3903-0000015E9E178D2A.jpg

----------

I wish I still had my last pistol. I had to sell it because I was a single Sailor reporting to a ship. It broke my heart.

I'm sure you got a pretty penny for it too.

----------

1DBC21A9-9268-4A59-87F3-8DE03E5F7724-12199-00000481D23307E7.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.