Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
I consider the newest MBA 13", 128GB

My usage:
- Website development (FileZilla, text editor)
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- website browsing
- Spotify, YouTube (1080p?), internet radio

I consider of 4GB RAM Memory. Is that enough for doing several of tasks above simultaneously? Thanks for helping, this would be my first MBA.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
8GB for sure. Especially if you plan to keep it a few years. It's only $100 and you get good bang for your buck with it

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
But I mean, when would I benefit from the extra 4GB ? I think I maybe should first try with 4GB,and if it seems to be too low, then return and buy another (30 days return guarantee)

enisala

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
I am similar user to you. I have 4 gb on new MBA and yes I have some page outs but I cant see any lags or something like that. On Mavericks maybe I won't have any page outs

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Ok, thanks for your comments. Currently I'm on Win8 and I have 2 GB of 4 GB in use (Chrome, Spotify, Skype, Filezilla, Dropbox etc.) So will Mac use more memory than Windows?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I am similar user to you. I have 4 gb on new MBA and yes I have some page outs but I cant see any lags or something like that. On Mavericks maybe I won't have any page outs

You're having page outs on a new 2013 MBA? What exactly are you running?

----------

Ok, thanks for your comments. Currently I'm on Win8 and I have 2 GB of 4 GB in use (Chrome, Spotify, Skype, Filezilla, Dropbox etc.) So will Mac use more memory than Windows?

I don't think Mac uses as much as windows.

mkeisu

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
It doesn't sound like you need more memory than 4GB if a text editor is all your using for development. But if you are using a fully fledged IDE, you might want to upgrade. Other applications sound pretty lightweight.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This topic had been argued ad nausea. Apple like most other companies is notoriously cheap when it comes to the amount of ram they equip their computers with. Signal the Apple faithful and they'll provide one zillion and two reasons why only a minuscule amount of ram is needed in a Mac.

Yet the bottom line truth never changes. If you plan on _using_your Mac for all that you think you will, it's likely that once you take delivery and experience how nice it is, you'll likely be using it for more than you anticipated.

Buy the most ram you can afford. You'll be glad you did. In addition by the time you're ready to sell it, suddenly that won't seem like an excessive amount compared to new machines of the moment.

enisala

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
You're having page outs on a new 2013 MBA? What exactly are you running?

----------

I don't think Mac uses as much as windows.

Safari, mail, messages, iTunes, reeder sometimes iPhoto, 1password, dropbox, istat menu, flux, dropbox, activity monitor, libre office (rarely)
Of course I use one app at once. Reeder and safari are often full-screened.
Imho the most problematic is safari but i hate chrome

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
If I plug external display (21") to MBA via HDMI, will it use more RAM?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just to share. I have 8gb in my MBA 13" 2012. And most of the time, the free memory was for my virtual disk. I am light user of safari, office and video player.
4gb could be less important especially small difference in performance when system swap to ssd storage.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Yes, that is what I mean. If I connect my screen via adapter to my Macbook air, will it consume more RAM than just MBA's own screen?

I don't think its the RAM, I believe it's the Air's video memory.

I was taking a look at the BookArc, and they claim this:

There’s one additional benefit of using your MacBook Air closed in a BookArc vs using it in dual-screen mode with an external monitor. It actually speeds up your MacBook Air! Dedicating 100% of your MacBook Air’s video memory to the external monitor decreases redraw time in everything from iPhoto to Photoshop.

Can anyone confirm this?

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks.But, you can close Air's cover without BookArc, too :) So BookArc actually does not speed up Air.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Thanks.But, you can close Air's cover without BookArc, too :) So BookArc actually does not speed up Air.

I get that--should have explained myself a bit more..

My point was, if you connect a ext monitor and have the MBA in Closed Clamshell Mode, it shouldn't use the MBA virtual memory--according to their site.

I also understand that wasn't your original question but I thought I'd share what I read.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
I don't think its the RAM, I believe it's the Air's video memory.

I was taking a look at the BookArc, and they claim this:

Can anyone confirm this?

Isn't the video memory shared with the RAM for the integrated graphics?
Also if you have the laptop closed while driving an external monitor, it makes sense that it would be faster - it's driving far fewer pixels in that scenario.

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
You need it now

I consider the newest MBA 13", 128GB

My usage:
- Website development (FileZilla, text editor)
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- website browsing
- Spotify, YouTube (1080p?), internet radio

I consider of 4GB RAM Memory. Is that enough for doing several of tasks above simultaneously? Thanks for helping, this would be my first MBA.

If you do all the above tasks at the same time, also how many browsers tabs open and which browser do you use. You can't add the memory later.

Besides if if need the ask, you need the 8GB

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
I usually don't do all those tasks at the time. I usually have ~5 browser tabs open (Chrome), Spotify, Skype, and Filezilla. And currently memory usage:2,3Gb/4Gb, on Win8 64-bit. So what you think, if the memory is enough now, would it be enoguh with MBA? Does laptop consume more memory than normal computer? I actually don't have much experience on laptops, I'm sorry for that.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
A laptop doesn't use more or less memory than a desktop

I build and fix computers for a living. Ill just be blunt. Getting 4GB on a notebook in 2013 is shooting yourself in the foot. Even if you "might only be using 2.5-3GB" now, why cut it so close? The more memory the better. Memory requirements for operating systems and programs are only going to be growing. Don't sell yourself short with 4GB, give yourself a bit of breathing room. The difference is only $100, what a small price to pay for peace of mind if anything. Nobody wants to see page outs when you've spent over $1000, I'm actually quite saddened to see 4GB as stock for that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.