Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I really don't like Google products but if it keeps Apple motivated and moving forward I am all for it.

I'm not really sure how these mobile games would translate to TV however.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Well you can be sure of one thing: Not Google or Samsung or any A list tech company will dare bring out a game device or watch before Apple.

Apple has to lead so the rest can have a benchmark to copy and improve upon, if they go first they will most likely be trumped and they know it......

Right...because other companies (like Sony) never released a smartwatch or a gaming device and Google is just copying Apple with Glass and there were also no smartphones, of course, before the iPhone came out... :rolleyes:

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Don't compare console games to handheld games. If we were to compare the hardcore games on the AppStore to handheld, iOS is there. Apple TV would tackle home consoles, so...

Apple TV will not be able to handle what PS4/Xbox One, or even the Razer Edge can do (http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro). Take a good LONG look at the Razer specs. It's got an SSD built-in which is one reason why it's expensive, even though making it more FUNCTIONAL.

If A-TV needs to compete, it will need to have a storage drive built-in and it will NOT be $99 bucks but at a much higher price point. It will need to have a huge RAM increase to handle the streaming. So don't go on about hardcore games that iOS has because Infinity Blade, while it's a graphical wonder, the game is NOT even deep at all and is nothing but a "rail" based game.

Want to guess why they went the "rail" route? Because letting players roam about the area freely without choosing a path would require a lot of processing and storage, including RAM to pull this off to render the sequences. That was their limit in using iOS.

What ever happened to that Infinity Blade: Dungeons? It got shut down because of EPIC Games closing down the division that developed it.

Oh, while I'm at it, check this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2013/jun/25/microsoft-xbox-games-ios-android

It means that some PC games will go the iOS route but not all of them. Anything licensed with the X-BOX such as HALO ain't going there. And before you go off saying how other iOS games compare to HALO, they do look good on surface but they're not as deep as the famous game itself. Games like Shadowgun are nice to look at but are short.

So games such as HALO, Gears of War, and so on and on will require a massive hard or flash drive to install. But you need to understand that all the games on iOS are touch-based. Strategy games, card/board games or anything of a casual note work well in that area. But anything to do with fighting games or "hardcore" nature requires a physical controller.

Touch screen controllers are not ideal at all. That's why arcade cabinets have physical controls for this reason to withstand punishment in a competitive setting. That's like trying to make military pilots use touch screens to fly their planes without a flight stick. Who in their right mind would want to do that? Or even more bizarre, have all the cars be controlled with touchscreens and remove the steering wheel.

How would you drive without going analog? This exactly my point. Touchscreens are not the end all, be all solution to gaming and is not a Sony/Microsoft killer.

So if you think the App Store in an Apple TV is going to make them eat up Sony/Microsoft's market, think again. Think a thousand times. Most of the iOS apps are NOT appropriate for Apple TV because they were designed to be TOUCH BASED on a tablet or phone, not a tv screen.

Even Sony's PSN (online store) is pretty good and offers almost the same thing that the iTunes Store has in relation to tv shows, movies, rentals via Netflix, live presentations, etc. Even I'm sure X-Box LIVE has that as well. Even the PSN has independent games that players can buy from (similar to STEAM) and the games you see in the stores can be downloaded (such as Assassins Creed) without making a trip there. And they do take a while, not because of internet bandwidth but due to the sheer size of the game's requirement for storage, one in which Apple's gaming console would have to have.

And price point wise, the games coming from other console, if they were ported, will NOT be under $10 bucks for your consumer-ish 'el cheapo' mentality. The reason Final Fantasy Tactics is expensive to buy on the App Store is due to the licensing and to pay for the people who re-engineered the game. After all, the game belongs to Epix-Square, not Apple. But Final Fantasy Tactics, as an example, does'nt make iOS any more "hardcore" than other consoles because I already have the original CD in my hands which is one of the greatest games of all time. That game has been around since the 1990s, so that makes Apple LATE to the game.

Did you think game developers make games for FREE? These professionals who work for such companies are worth more than that.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
If they do launch a console (Pippen, anyone?) they're going to need major backing from all the game production companies well before hand. At any rate I don't think they'll go into the console market. It'd be nice if future releases of OS X had a "Gaming Mode." Minimum OS capability so you could dedicate more to the game or something.

Or...just try to get the game companies to do more Mac ports at Day One release of a game.

Consoles are probably entering their last generation. Something like the Ouya would be what apple would do, and should have done ages ago.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Apple a gaming threat? What a bloody joke, gamers would never play on an apple and game devs (not mobile) would develop for it, it is to closed, under specced and expensive for devs, aditionally gamers don't like apple. I am in the world of gaming, and macs are a joke there, you play on a Mac, you are critisize. And don't cry over this comment, it is true. Apple have games on iOS only because of people who play on phones. They would not by a console. If apple do make a """""""gaming""""""""" console. Well, that would be a stupid move. Android is a heading into console space, it is open, cheap to develop for and fast, and customisable, with things like gamestick and ouya, apple would fail in the market of actual video games, and people would not buy it for dragonvale, please. Google can do this apple can't. They are not a threat.
All gamers of console/pc/Mac(as a friend of mine had to wait 3 months after PC release to get sims city on Mac).
PS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH APPLE A GAMING THREAT, CLASSIC!

----------

Consoles are probably entering their last generation. Something like the Ouya would be what apple would do, and should have done ages ago.
People said that last generation, yes, Microsoft and Sony will fall in the market, but it will not be phone games to take its spot, even android consoles (apple could never achieve a gaming console, they are laughed at in gaming) might have trouble.

----------

Right...because other companies (like Sony) never released a smartwatch or a gaming device and Google is just copying Apple with Glass and there were also no smartphones, of course, before the iPhone came out... :rolleyes:

I know you were being sarcastic but was the post you replied to sarcasm? Where you carrying on a joke, sorry I'm tired.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
If they do launch a console (Pippen, anyone?) they're going to need major backing from all the game production companies well before hand. At any rate I don't think they'll go into the console market. It'd be nice if future releases of OS X had a "Gaming Mode." Minimum OS capability so you could dedicate more to the game or something.

Or...just try to get the game companies to do more Mac ports at Day One release of a game.

this, why the hell would i want to play iOS games on TV

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I could see them come out swinging mid-next Gen and pull a Sony circa PS1 and MS circa Xbox...

If history repeats itself...Apple would then replace MS/Sony on top, with Nintendo going the way of Sega / Atari depending on the gen in question (ie software only or sw and handheld).

This is a really interesting analysis of the state of the gaming industry. :confused:

1. How did MS "come out swinging" with Xbox? The PS2 sold about a 155 million units (highest selling console of all time) and gamecube sales were considered to be an abysmal failure at 22 million units. MS put billions into marketing and Xbox only sold ~ 25 Million units.

Sony did actually "come out swinging" with 100 million PS1 sales Vs. 35 million N64 sales.

2. How are Sony and MS "on top". What metric are you using? If we consider data from the latest generation of consoles for which all three players have released a console (7th gen) the units sold are as follows:

Playstation 3: 78 million
Xbox 360: 78 million
Wii: 100 million (and featured a controller which heavily influenced the direction of both MS and Sony).

Perhaps you were talking about handhelds? Ok, lets look at the last two generations:

Nintendo DS: 153 million (2 million units off being the highest selling console of all time).
PSP: 76 million units.

Playstation Vita: ~5 million
Nintendo 3DS: ~ 32 million

Given the historical success of the PS1 and PS2 I could see an argument for claiming Sony was on top of the non-handheld console market but MS? No way - that's just fantasy.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth

There were smartphones before the iPhone came out. They just didn't all look and act like the iPhone like they do now. And if you are seriously considering Google glass as some sort of game changing technology that everyone is rushing to copy, you are sadly mistaken. And while smartwatches weren't invented by Apple, how much would you care to bet that after Apple's is released, they will dominate the segment within months. People that never thought they'd ever need a smartwatch will suddenly own one.

While I'm sure Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Google et. al. will still be around if Apple releases a gaming platform for the TV (which I don't think they will, at least not one that directly competes with a typical platform), you better bet those companies would lose some marketshare.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
thank god, these PS and XBOX consoles are really boring. google will surely roll out a great console.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Anyway Google releasing a game console has probably a lot to do with the Ouya Android based console (which does not use the Google services and app market and is a moderate success).

Bingo. A Google-branded console would not compete with any "Apple game console". Rather, it would go directly against existing (or upcoming) game consoles like PS4, Xbone, and Ouya. A crowded field getting more crowded.

LOL, Xbone. Catchy name.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Nintendo is almost a category by itself. Playstation owns XBox, and always has. As you get deeper into a generation, XBox appears to make gains, but that's people backfilling with cheap second systems.

The pattern is about to repeat - PS4 is burying XB1 at launch and for the first couple of years, at least.

The biggest issue with alternate systems like Ouya is that gaming has very heavily moved to multiplayer, and it takes a LOT of backend investment to support a CoD type multiplayer world. At this point, Ouya type boxes appear limited to emulators (which is awesome, but limited) and "not very good" low budget games.

StormyParis

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
Already there, mostly

Android already supports not only a "desktop" usage model, but also a "media center" and a "gaming console" usage. The OS supports the hardware needed (gamepads, keyboards, mice, webcams, network shares, display mirroring, dlna...) and offers standard APIs to access those. I've got a handful of $50 Android USB sticks installed at friends' and family's, they work OK for Internet stuff, mail, RSS, SKype, and gaming.

The biggest issue is developer support: many games (other software is almost all OK) are thrown off by the devices they're running on not having touch, gyroscope, GPS... handling a landscape mode, high-rez but low-dpi screen also wreaks havoc with a lot of games, as does the keyboard/mouse/pad input.

I'd say about only a third of the games run OK. Some suck to start with so I discount them, the rest have issue with inputs or screen, or even, dumbly, require a specific sensor they don't even use, or use a whitelist to allow installation. Once the wheat has been separated from the chaff, the Android desktop/HTPC/console experience is surprisingly pleasant, and extremely cost-effective.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok

Right....There is no mainstream Sony or any other smart watch, gaming is stuck with the incumbents there was no mainstream smart phone before the iPhone, if their was Apple would be selling them like they do and everyone else wouldn't be producing clones. Glass is a very cool experiment, but unfortunately will never be mainstream.

To be a product worthy of the discussion it should be used by more than a few tech geeks and hobbyist. The only smart watch that will matter will be one that works with IOS or Android. My position stands, more specifically, no way Samsung or Google goes to market before Apple with a watch or gaming device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.