Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I'm at the point where I need a new iPod, but am thinking of upgrading to a 32GB iPhone and using that as my iPod, and am wondering how many of you guys have basically done away with the need for an iPod?

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
Yep. Been using my phone for music since the first iPhone. Nowadays, I use Spotify for all my music so could not use a dedicated iPod anymore...

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I have a 6th gen nano that I use for running sometimes and an old iPod video that sits in my glovebox and is connected to my car stereo. Unless Apple really comes out with something revolutionary for the iPod I'll probably never buy another one again.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Been using my phone for music since the first iPhone. Nowadays, I use Spotify for all my music...

Doesn't this use a large amount of data?

I like the iPod's clicky wheel so I can raise and lower volume and rewind without looking at the device.

Trvlngrs

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Got rid of my iPod touch after I bought my first iPhone 3G. It's been my primary music source in my car and at work. I have iTunes Match as well.

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
I still use my iPod Classic from late 2007 in my car. I like to click wheel so I can skip songs without looking away from the road. For everything else, including gym, I use my iPhone. I have iTunes Match so it's nice to have my entire music library readily available. And I use the Nike app to track my running progress so using the iPhone as an iPod is ideal.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Haven't owned an iPod since I bought my very first iPhone, which was the 3GS. Music barely dents the battery, so it works out really well.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I worry about data usage with spotify and pandora, so I have a few playlists on my iPhone but keep everything on my iPod classic. It's good for road trips since my car doesn't have Bluetooth.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
ow many of you guys have basically done away with the need for an iPod?

Unless ur iTunes library > 64g, I don't see why would any1 want to carry 2 separate devices.

There are exceptions of course as others mentioned.

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
Doesn't this use a large amount of data?

I like the iPod's clicky wheel so I can raise and lower volume and rewind without looking at the device.

Trvlngrs

Do you mean Network data or actual storage on the device? If the former, because I use Spotify premium, most of my music that I listen to is within offline playlists. I mostly search for new music when using wi-fi.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
I use Spotify for streaming music in my car and anywhere I go. Although I do have a verizon unlimited data plan, you can just sync your most used playlists to your phone and it doesn't use any data when playing them.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Yep. Been using my phone for music since the first iPhone. Nowadays, I use Spotify for all my music so could not use a dedicated iPod anymore...

Do you stream or sync, or both?

I tend to stream, I have over gone over my 1GB usage, but then again I don't listen to music all the time when i'm out, just when i'm on my own.

I have a 16Gb, and its certainly saved me a lot of space!

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The main reason why I switched to a Smartphone is because I was sick of having two devices.

A dumbphone and an MP3 player.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Mine os mostly an iPod/internet device. I only make a handful of calls a month and love having the internet on it so I have the T-Mobile $30 plan on it.

As for music, I use iTunes Match. I have any of my 13,000 songs ready to be played anywhere I am.

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
Do you stream or sync, or both?

I tend to stream, I have over gone over my 1GB usage, but then again I don't listen to music all the time when i'm out, just when i'm on my own.

I have a 16Gb, and its certainly saved me a lot of space!

I mainly listen to music that I have synced into playlists. If I'm at work or anywhere with my laptop, I'll be listening to new stuff and then syncing that to my phone.

If I want to find a song that I don't have, I'll stream.

Even though I wasn't using iTunes, I still chose a 64GB as I knew spotify would take a lot of space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.