Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slynger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Long story short, my wife started pressing the delete button and now iTunes is FUBAR.

I have tried to recover iTunes but I haven't been successful. I haven't had to use a backup for my mac before, curious if someone could help and tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

I am just highlighting the iTunes media>music folder and hitting restore, but in the end, it isn't restored. In need of serious help.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Long story short, my wife started pressing the delete button and now iTunes is FUBAR.

I have tried to recover iTunes but I haven't been successful. I haven't had to use a backup for my mac before, curious if someone could help and tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

I am just highlighting the iTunes media>music folder and hitting restore, but in the end, it isn't restored. In need of serious help.

Not meaning to be condescending or obvious... but you do not mention this in your post. When you go into Time Machine, are you "going back in time" using the time scale on the right hand edge (alternately, using the forward/backward arrows on the bottom)? You must choose a time that occurred prior to your wife deleting data from your database.

Also... is all of your media located in the iTunes library folder? This is managed by two settings located in: iTunes > Settings > Advanced: Are both: "keep iTunes Media Oragnized" and "Copy data to the iTunes Library" both selected (see attachment)? If not... your original data could be scattered all over your drive(s).

/Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 8.25.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 8.25.31 AM.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 166

slynger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Yes, I am trying to restore from a previous backup (approx. 1 month ago).

And yes, both boxes are checked.

rc135tx

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
... I am just highlighting the iTunes media>music folder and hitting restore, but in the end, it isn't restored. In need of serious help.

Being basically ignorant of what might get lost/screwed up on a delete, in Time Machine, I'd select Users/<user>/Music/iTunes, then Restore.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, I am trying to restore from a previous backup (approx. 1 month ago).

And yes, both boxes are checked.

You have the option when restoring... to choose the destination. What happens if you choose your entire iTunes folder from a month ago, and then choose to restore it to a new folder (also called iTunes) on your desktop? Do you get an entire library as it existed a month ago?

/Jim

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Being basically ignorant of what might get lost/screwed up on a delete, in Time Machine, I'd select Users/<user>/Music/iTunes, then Restore.
This is the right advice, just restoring "Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" misses a few rather important files.

slynger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
got the problem all sorted out - thanks for the tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.