Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Obviously a leap motion won't replace your every interaction with your computer, but it'll replace several, especially within visual design and video games. You can't tell Siri how to shape a model in Blender, but you could mold it in your hands like clay.

Waving your hands in the air for 8 hours per day (or even longer if we consider working hours at some software companies) when there are other options like the SpaceNavigator by Connexion available?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
If Leap is not going to be Software dependent I will buy it in no time. I need sometimes (in my work) move my hands in the air to switch from space to space or to zoom out or scroll, If Leap let me do that with any app it will be my next tool. it is amazing!

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
For those of you ordering pay close attention to the hardware requirements....

I 3 or BETTER processor.... no core 2 duo....very small print

zeristor

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Anybody else realise that the leap motion fits nicely above the f keys in the keyboard base of any laptop. Immediate end to actually touching the screen on Win8 (how that idea actually took off is beyond me). Apple can also get some proper gestures on the go.

New feature on new MacBook pros? You heard it here first chaps.

I've been thinking this for a good few months now, could the MBP possibly be released in a few weeks time with LeapMotion?

Since I use my MBP on my lap (its a laptop) trying to keep a LeapMotion sitting on the keyboard under the screen would be too precarious. I've just cancelled my LeapMotion order with the realisation that it probably will be a bit of a pain, a cable, and blue taking it down.

Well I'll see how it goes...

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
Apple missed the bus on this tech... HP on the other hand will have it built into their laptops.

Did HP commit to having leap motion in the laptops? Apple hasn't missed the boat, they have over a dozen patents for something very similar to leap motion long before Leap created a prototype.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Did HP commit to having leap motion in the laptops? Apple hasn't missed the boat, they have over a dozen patents for something very similar to leap motion long before Leap created a prototype.

And you know this how?

Yes HP Comitted to them... They dropped $30 million and Asus also partnered with them...

http://allthingsd.com/20130103/moti...abs-30-million-in-funding-partners-with-asus/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/asus-leap-motion-partnership/

----------

Yeah, because I'm sure they're not developing anything at all to address motion gestures deep in the bowels of Apple headquarters :rolleyes:

Fact is, this is one of those areas of tech where Apple usually pulls off a coup. They let others flounder with all of the gee whiz and cobbled together solutions, then swoop in a couple of years later (or longer in some cases) and bring forward a fully baked and integrated solution. Wouldn't surprise me to see them announce something later this year, in fact...

:rolleyes:

Since Tim Cook's doubling on security "coup", whenever apple is working on something, eventually we would find out. I am pretty sure they are not working on something, because if not, we would know already.

----------

Maybe it will be on the iMac when I get my next new one in 2-3 years ;)

Wishful thinking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.