Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon.jpg
Apple is carefully monitoring the way that its retail workers are using iOS 7, reports 9to5Mac. Both retail store managers and Apple's Human Resources team have been contacting employees that are found using iOS 7 to ensure that the beta software was installed through official Developer channels.

Apple's retail workers are only authorized to install iOS 7 if they are members of the iOS Developer Program or part of an internal testing project. Employees are not allowed to sign up for a developer account and share the iOS 7 beta with coworkers, as noted in a warning letter that Apple sent out to some retail employees.
Am I allowed to load and use iOS beta software on my devices? Not unless you are a member of the iOS Developer Program, or have been explicitly authorized by management to participate in the development or testing of internal Apple applications as part of an official Apple project.

You may not load iOS beta software onto any other person's iOS device. Employees are not authorized to receive iOS beta software from any third parties, even if those third parties are iOS Developer Program members.
Employees have also been forbidden from showing the iOS 7 beta to Apple Store customers. According to retail workers who spoke to 9to5Mac, Apple is "super strict" about all iOS 7 usage in store. "We could get fired for showing a customer iOS 7 on our phones because of the Apple Developer NDA agreement," said one employee.

Customers who bring in malfunctioning phones running iOS 7 will not be able to have them serviced in store either, as Apple has implemented guidelines preventing Geniuses from working on phones running the beta software.

Apple routinely uses its retail employees to test and improve software. Last year, Apple relied on its workers to help improve its Maps app, and this year, certain employees have been given access to OS X Mavericks for beta testing purposes.

iOS 7, which offers a radical design overhaul along with a number of performance enhancements, is currently only available to developers. The final version of the software is expected to be released this fall alongside the next generation iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Retail Closely Monitoring Employee Usage of iOS 7, Forbids In-Store Demos for Customers

Last edited:

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Totally understandable. Otherwise they'd probably have a jailbreak bar, too..

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
While a little draconian in the approach, it makes sense. It's software that is not yet ready for primetime, and you don't want too much of the influential mindshare to prematurely write off any bugs or unfinished features for the final release. (Then and only then can you start flinging your stones. ^_^)

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The employees can get fired for showing off iOS 7 yet there are thousands of people running the beta unauthorized and not following the NDA.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
And yet Apple has iOS 7 emblazoned all over the front page of its web site. It's kind of tempting and a mixed message.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Apple should clearly state before installing the software that you won't be able to receive genius bar service. Better hope your lightning connector isn't the first thing to malfunction.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The employees can get fired for showing off iOS 7 yet there are thousands of people running the beta unauthorized and not following the NDA.

So? They're not Apple employees and they aren't showing off the incomplete software as representative of things to come.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Well none of this is a surprise obviously. lol NDA agreement?

I'd say that the following point is a surprise (assuming it's true):

Apple should clearly state before installing the software that you won't be able to receive genius bar service. Better hope your lightning connector isn't the first thing to malfunction.

The Apple warranty and developer agreement do not state this. I'd imagine that they'd be on rather dubious ground to actually try and enforce this.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
This seems heavy handed and silly.

What wrong with showing someone a little ios 7. Are they afraid it's so bad that people will run to android? Most people who would be interested in a sneak peek would be fully aware it is beta and will have glitches and may change before the final release.

I think it would bring more traffic to the stores and generate some excitement.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
While a little draconian in the approach, it makes sense. It's software that is not yet ready for primetime, and you don't want too much of the influential mindshare to prematurely write off any bugs or unfinished features for the final release. (Then and only then can you start flinging your stones. ^_^)

What is Draconian? It's a NDA. At my employer you break your NDA and it's Dept of Labor time, because you will have one hell of a time finding a position in your field after breaking one. Decisions have consequences. :apple:

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada

As a developer, why shouldn't Apple cover my device under the same warranty as everyone else's? Just because you're bitter than many non-developers are running iOS 7 beta's, doesn't mean Apple should try to screw everyone over. I'm glad you don't work for Apple.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It can't be that big of a deal to show a customer a preview of things to come.

When that preview is not fully tested and complete, yes there is.

Imagine if, while I was showing you this cool new feature of iOS 7, my phone crashed. Not just the app but the whole phone. And what if it was a huge crash that wouldn't turn back on right away for some reason.

You aren't likely to think "well it's beta software that kind of thing happens" but rather "that is some crappy software. I'm better off going and getting a Samsung".

Not to mention the issues of employees trying to get service on their phones. They generally know enough to do things like DFU to iOS 6 or try to and act like they never put iOS 7 on it to get around the 'no service' rules. That's not fair to customers who might have a legit issue that needs a swap but some rule bending employee lied their way until that unit and it was the last one in store.

----------

And yet Apple has iOS 7 emblazoned all over the front page of its web site. It's kind of tempting and a mixed message.

Apple showing carefully selected images of a software is NOT the same as an active demo.

These rules are not new, nor is the monitoring in all likelihood. MR is just hit whoring with implications that this is something out of the norm.

----------

Guess you aren't a developer, because it is stated in the T&C very clearly

----------

As a developer, why shouldn't Apple cover my device under the same warranty as everyone else's?

Because you loaded preview software that is known to be incomplete and buggy at your own risk.

You agreed to these terms so if you have an issue with it then you should stop loading the software until it is released to the public and take your changes on negative reviews because your update wasn't ready before release.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Smart move. They don't want customers to see the elementary school Fisher Price iOS and go "ohhh, thats the new iOS? I'll, uhh, you can..hmmm....Oh is that a Microsoft Store?"

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Because you loaded preview software that is known to be incomplete and buggy at your own risk.

You agreed to these terms so if you have an issue with it then you should stop loading the software until it is released to the public and take your changes on negative reviews because your update wasn't ready before release.

I actually don't see that anywhere in the terms. The closest thing to it I can find is:

Attempting to install this version of iOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state, which could necessitate an out of warranty repair.

Where do you see it say that running the iOS 7 beta software completely voids all Apple warranties? Either way, its very easy to roll back to iOS 6 before going in for service.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
This is the reason why I haven't installed iOS 7. They do a check of your devices to ensure you aren't running iOS 7 because sometimes employees prefer to pull out their own phone to demo a feature or product and it's against the policy for us to do that. Our managers are cool but strict when it comes down to stuff like this.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
This seems heavy handed and silly.

What wrong with showing someone a little ios 7. Are they afraid it's so bad that people will run to android? Most people who would be interested in a sneak peek would be fully aware it is beta and will have glitches and may change before the final release.

I think it would bring more traffic to the stores and generate some excitement.

Part of the problem is, there are some people who don't know or realize what BETA is. If someone walks in off the street, sees iOS7 on a phone, tries it and finds parts of it buggy, etc...they could think iOS7 is a buggy piece of crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.