Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Watchmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Hi All

I have an iPod Touch First Gen lying around. It's served me amazingly for years, but now I just take it with me when I have the odd long-haul flight just in case my main forms of entertainment die on me.

I'm just wondering, is there anything "cool" I can do with it? Can I hack it, put a different OS on it, basically anything other than have it operate as a music and very picky video player?

Thanks for any advice.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I have placed it permanently on its original dock that can charge it and play music and hold in the bedroom to have musing playing before going to sleep at night. Unfortunatelly its battery is so pour that I need to have it on costant charge otherwwise in few minutes will be dead.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I have placed it permanently on its original dock that can charge it and play music and hold in the bedroom to have musing playing before going to sleep at night. Unfortunatelly its battery is so pour that I need to have it on costant charge otherwwise in few minutes will be dead.

exactly the same thing I am doing with mine, and I do Have to keep mine plugged in as well:(

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I was using mine connected to the car stereo until I sold it (money went towards some newer Apple kit). They are still good music and video players, and I didn't update any apps on my computer so that I could still load the old versions that were compatible with my 1st gen.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I jailbroked mines years ago to do more with it, but it became laggy. Currently it's battery life just sucks and it lies asleep next to it's younger brother the current 5th gen. :p

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
I thought I was the only one who kept my old iPod touch hooked up in the room! I keep it with "night stand" app on (best alarm clock I've found, so far). But when I want music, or I'm out for a while, and don't want to run down my iPhone battery playing games, I take it with me.

I would keep the iPod touch 1! That's going to be valuable some day. I don't even upgrade the iOS or apps on mine. I like the retro feeling of playing some apps back in their beginning stages.

It Is James

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
Washington
It's probably not capable of using most modern apps on the App Store, but remember what the iPod was originally designed to do - play music and other media. My old iPod Touch is simply used for a music player now a days, and that's what you could do with yours as well. Remove everything, and you'll have a lot of storage for all your favorite songs! :)

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
I just sold an ipod touch 1st g with a broken charging port, and home button for 40 bucks on eBay...lol more than I thought I could ever get for it...:eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I still use my 16gb for TV shows. Be a shame when this dies and we don't have a 128gb iPhone or iPod.

Xd1521

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
Hi All

yea i have one its a great ipod the 1gen and is their for what i need yes the only thing is i don't like about it is apps but over all good ipod it lasts for 24h or long sometimes ,but yup and thinking about jail braking it so yup :D

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Mine is in a drawer collecting dust. Selling it for me is not an option as I engraved it with my phone number. Why? Oh I don't know. LOL very stupid move indeed. I listen to it every blue moon as it has some of my older music on it. Battery only last about 2 hours and that totally sucks!

lip008

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
I wanted to use it as my podcast device but I can't download the app because it's not at iOS 7. I wish we could upgrade it to 7 and just deal with the trade offs. Lots of the games, specifically 2D games, would probably run. I said I would never buy a Touch again because of this forced retirement, but I bought a 16gb gold touch and love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.