Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to filing for a trademark on the term "iWatch" in Russia and Japan on June 3, we have discovered that Apple filed for a trademark in Taiwan, which follows a report from 9to5Mac that Apple filed in Mexico as well, bringing the total number of trademark filings to four.

iwatchtaiwan.png
Apple's Taiwan Filing
In both iWatch trademark filings discovered today, Apple Inc. is listed as the company behind the requests and the company's Infinite Loop address in Cupertino, California is included on the applications. The filing in Mexico was submitted via Mexico-based law firm Arochi, Marroquín, & Linder, S.C, which has worked with Apple on other product trademarks.

News of the iWatch, which is one possible name for Apple's rumored smart watch, first surfaced in late 2012 and was followed by a patent application for a wraparound-style "wearable video device" in February.

According to reports, Apple has a team of 100 product designers working on the watch, which may include a 1.5-2.0 inch OLED display along with biometrics, iPod nano touch technology, and the ability to interact with existing iOS devices.

While it has been suggested that Apple's smart watch could launch later this year, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has instead targeted a late 2014 release date for the iWatch, suggesting that Apple is not quite ready to ramp up production for a 2013 debut.

Update: Apple also appears to have filed for an iWatch trademark in Turkey through Pinar Arikan, an attorney who has worked with the company in the past. While the filing does not list Apple as the applicant, it was filed on the same June 3 date as the other applications.

iwatchturkey.jpg
Update 2: Apple has also filed for the mark in Colombia and Chile.

Update 3: A tipster has also pointed us to a filing in India, bringing the total number of international filings discovered so far to nine, including the original December 2012 application in Jamaica that Apple is using to establish priority.

Article Link: Apple's 'iWatch' Trademarking Spree Also Includes Taiwan and Mexico [Updated]

frisken

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
I think these tech companies are going to get a huge shock when they enter the wearable accessories market ... I kind of wish Apple wouldn't be the first in on this one, let the competition make the mistakes and bring out a brilliant product further down the track.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
If Apple does a good job at releasing this they'll be fine!

Last edited:

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
What's the big deal with an iWatch, it's nothing more than the previous iPod Nano that you could buy straps and make it a watch.

Just another device to get notifications.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I think these tech companies are going to get a huge shock when they enter the wearable accessories market ... I kind of wish Apple wouldn't be the first in on this one, let the competition make the mistakes and bring out a brilliant product further down the track.

Evolution-of-the-smart-watch-Part-2-macworld-australia-5.jpg
meta-watch.jpeg

39395-metawatch_teaser.jpg
pebble_watch-100020692-large.jpeg

inwatch-verge-013_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg
Motorola_MOTOACTV_35163040_35163042_01_1_610x458.jpg

vitashotsdsc00207mat600.jpg
lg-watch.jpg

article_img.jpg
agent-smart-watch.png

There has been a variety of unsuccessful smartwatches in the past. Nothing major but the situation is similar to the iPad and the pre-iPad "tablet PCs".

If the past repeats itself again, competitors following Apple in the smartwatch trend should still make mistakes in their first iterations and take like 2-3 years to catch up. That's enough for Apple to make some $ and secure itself the advantages associated with a good marketshare for the future (large app selection, third party accessories, content deals)...

Last edited:

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
What's the big deal with an iWatch, it's nothing more than the previous iPod Nano that you could buy straps and make it a watch.

Just another device to get notifications.

I dont think you could get notifications on the ipod nano, so thats already something extra right there in your message.

If you are not impressed by the promise of a smart watch, then maybe its not for you - just as a tablet, or a smartphone, or an ipod etc are not for some! I can think of some really convenient uses for it - but agree its probably not going to be as big a change as the iphone (if it comes at all).

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Innovation. I hope Apple has something interesting up their sleeves for this one.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I still believe in kuo prediction for 2014 launch. For 2013 I think apple has a lot on their plate with ios 7, rumored low cost iphone, etc.

I'm guessing early 2014 though, like 1st quarter the same when apple introduce the ipad in 2010.

Bring on the iwatch apple :D

frisken

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
Nope. iPod...no one dethroned it. iPhone...no one dethroned it (yet). iPad...no one dethroned it.

There's already little tech companies doing this (Pebble) and Nike doing tracker bracelets...if Apple doesn't get in first someone else will beat them to the punch and it'll be lights out.

As long as the roll out is pretty awesome like the products I listed they should be fine.

These products weren't the first of their kind. There were many, many mp3 players out before iPod came into the marketplace. The iPod was so amazing because Apple improved on (removed) all of the flaws the other devices had and bought simplicity and brilliant UX to the front.

Same with the iPhone and the iPad. Smartphones and tablets existed before the iPhone and iPad, but they were making huge mistakes and fundamentally wrong UI/UX decisions (styluses being one). Apple took these ideas (products) and improved them tenfold.

And don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying Apple didn't invent anything. I think what they done with the iPod, iPhone and iPad (whilst not 100% original) was brilliantly innovative.

I feel there hasn't been a large enough stir in the market of wearable accessories for Apple to really figure out what to improve on and give customers what they want like they have done with their past products. I also think devices are very, very different from wearable accessories and I think they're in for one hell of a shock when people don't jump at the chance to wear an iWatch over a Rolex.

And yes, people who wear a Rolex are a part of Apple's current target market.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I dont think you could get notifications on the ipod nano, so thats already something extra right there in your message.

If you are not impressed by the promise of a smart watch, then maybe its not for you - just as a tablet, or a smartphone, or an ipod etc are not for some! I can think of some really convenient uses for it - but agree its probably not going to be as big a change as the iphone (if it comes at all).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind to say, "if I don't like no else can" this will be a great accessory for some people, it will sell well, but I don't see lines as big in the Apple store like for an iPhone.

The iPhone changed the world of cell phones as we know it.
The iPad created a whole new market.

I see trouble with some people like me letting go of my regular watch, love my Nixon 51-30, people with Rolex, Tag, Bell and Ross, Patek Philippe watches it could be hard.

And to sync your run or cardio or stuff like that there are some other good alternatives available right now.

On the other hand, Apple has a unique way to market their products and they don't solve a necessity, Apple creates one, that's way people can't live without their iPads.

Last edited:

cuda12

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Miami, FL
These products weren't the first of their kind. There were many, many mp3 players out before iPod came into the marketplace. The iPod was so amazing because Apple improved on (removed) all of the flaws the other devices had and bought simplicity and brilliant UX to the front.

Same with the iPhone and the iPad. Smartphones and tablets existed before the iPhone and iPad, but they were making huge mistakes and fundamentally wrong UI/UX decisions (styluses being one). Apple took these ideas (products) and improved them tenfold.

And don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying Apple didn't invent anything. I think what they done with the iPod, iPhone and iPad (whilst not 100% original) was brilliantly innovative.

I feel there hasn't been a large enough stir in the market of wearable accessories for Apple to really figure out what to improve on and give customers what they want like they have done with their past products. I also think devices are very, very different from wearable accessories and I think they're in for one hell of a shock when people don't jump at the chance to wear an iWatch over a Rolex.

Smartwatches already exist, they're just not that great. I think the biggest selling point for an iWatch will be the ability for full integration with your iPhone. Other companies can't support such functionality.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
If the past repeats itself again, competitors following Apple in the smartwatch trend should still make mistakes in their first iterations and take like 2-3 years to catch up. That's enough for Apple to make some $ and secure itself the advantages associated with a good marketshare for the future (large app selection, third party accessories, content deals)...

Basically, this could be the beginning of a new boom for Apple. I was thinking the same thing.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I'd be interested in a smart watch but depending on how long the battery lasts I wouldn't buy the first gen model. Hopefully it will alert me if I've moved a certain distance away from my phone.

frisken

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
Obviously watches have been around for a while. These Nike Fuelbands, Fitbits, Up, etc. have been around for over a year. Pebble as been around.

I guess what I'm saying is Apple needs to be the first BIG company in the industry. If Google or Samsung release something first Apple could be in big trouble since those companies normally ride Apple's coat tails.

You could be right, it will be interesting. I honestly think if Google or Samsung entered the market first, the entire market for smartwatches will flop, which may or may not benefit Apple. It could go one of two ways; the Samsung/Google devices give smartwatches a bad reputation and no one wants to give the iWatch a chance, or Apple differentiate themselves enough and improve on the other devices to entice new (more) customers.

I seriously believe Apple are the only company who even remotely have a chance at creating a successful wearable device. Google and Samsung don't have the design or build quality to create a classy device people will want to wear as an accessory.

Remember, you don't wear a watch simply to tell the time. People already pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a watch that has the same functionality as a $20 watch. This time functionality is not going to bring in the sales ...

Last edited:

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
I hope it'll be a standalone smart watch, as in not required to be paired with a smartphone to use the 'smart' features.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
These products weren't the first of their kind. There were many, many mp3 players out before iPod came into the marketplace. The iPod was so amazing because Apple improved on (removed) all of the flaws the other devices had and bought simplicity and brilliant UX to the front. Same with the iPhone and the iPad. Smartphones and tablets existed before the iPhone and iPad, but they were making huge mistakes and fundamentally wrong UI/UX decisions (styluses being one). Apple took these ideas (products) and improved them tenfold.....

.....if Apple doesn't get in first someone else will beat them to the punch and it'll be lights out.....

I disagree. They don't have to be (and won't be) the first to come out with such a product, to 'rule' or be a major player. Usability, among many other things, will determine that.

As frisken above has pointed out, there were music players out, well before the iPod, and there were tablets by MICROSOFT and HP, out long before the iPad.

Apothe0sis

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind to say, "if I don't like no else can" this will be a great accessory for some people, it will sell well, but I don't see lines as big in the Apple store like for an iPhone.

The iPhone changed the world of cell phones as we know it.
The iPad created a whole new market.

I see trouble with some people like me letting go of my regular watch, love my Nixon 51-30, people with Rolex, Tag, Bell and Ross, Patek Philippe watches it could be hard.

And to sync your run or cardio or stuff like that there are some other good alternatives available right now.

On the other hand, Apple has a unique way to market their products and they don't solve a necessity, Apple creates one, that's way people can't live without their iPads.

One of the things Apple does really well is combine devices that previously stood alone. So while they won't reinvent the fitness watch, or the wearable ipod, or the wrist notification center, they may successfully combine these things into one device in a way others haven't yet.

Also to your point about replacing Tags or Rolex or Nixons... I don't think an iWatch will target the people who buy/wear $2k status symbols. I would expect it to target practical users, people who wear $100 watches to tell the time (and be a little stylish.) I have a really nice Skagen that I can't wait to ditch for an iwatch. In fact, I've been holding off buying a bulky gps running watch in hopes that apple will release something cool that will fill that purpose. (the same way I rarely ever pull out my point & shoot camera anymore, thanks to the iphone.)

----------

I agree with you 100% on the UI part of this but the stylus point may be a little unfair. The tech of the time didn't allow for such nice detection of touch back then and a stylus was pretty much essential. Granted they could have moved away from them as Apple did, but for a time they were not optional.

Apple was the first to use capacitive touch screens, but they were out there for anyone to use first.
Part of what made it work was the programming behind it that made smart guesses - that if your finger is touching 3 things, it figures out what you meant to tap. As opposed to a pressure sensitive screen that needed the precision of a stylus.
I agree that there was a timing issue for apple getting this right, but if apple did it, clearly the tech was available for anyone to do it. Apple just thought of it first, and did it right.

In fact, even after the iphone came out, many companies were still coming out with pressure sensitive touch screen phones, they just didn't 'get' it. (my GF had a really ****** samsung "smartphone" that just wasn't up to snuff.)

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Well...looks like...(puts on sunglasses)...we'll have to watch what happens.
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.