Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b738

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Hello. I am from spain and I have a friend that is coming to my country so I asked him if he could bring me a cMBP because in the US is much cheaper compared to the spanish price.

When i am @ the apple website, I click on the educational price, it asks me to put a city and I type boston, I click on any uni and i am in the apple's educational site.

My plan is to get the 13" cMBP (999$) with 8GB so it adds 90$ to the final price.

And after taxes the final price is 1157$.

I need to know if I can just pay it with my spanish credit card and type his adress so he can recieve the cMBP, because I thought that some proof of uni was required to buy with that discount. (my friend studies in a boston's uni, but I dont know which).

Another doubt that I have is if the upgrades are cheaper when the BTS promo starts.

So if you have any recommendation, they will be greatly welcome.

Thank you very much.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
Hello. I am from spain and I have a friend that is coming to my country so I asked him if he could bring me a cMBP because in the US is much cheaper compared to the spanish price.

When i am @ the apple website, I click on the educational price, it asks me to put a city and I type boston, I click on any uni and i am in the apple's educational site.

My plan is to get the 13" cMBP (999$) with 8GB so it adds 90$ to the final price.

I need to know if I can just pay it with my spanish credit card and type his adress so he can recieve the cMBP, because I thought that some proof of uni was required to buy with that discount. (my friend studies in a boston's uni, but I dont know which).

Another doubt that I have is if the upgrades are cheaper when the BTS promo starts.

Thank you very much.

They will check ID so he won't be able to use your card. If you trust him you could give him money to put on his credit card and he could buy it on his for you.

I just re-read yours and realized I mis-understood. I don't know what their deal is but suspect they have policies / ways for dealing with people purchasing across borders. You could try talking to an on-line apple sales rep to get more.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Thank you very much.

Just a note to improve your English (and it is a very peculiar mistake for someone from Spain): You don't have a "doubt", you have a "question".

Remember that your friend will have to pay import taxes when entering Spain with your computer. That will destroy most of the cost benefit. And you are not protected by EU consumer laws, because the seller is not in the EU. You will get a US keyboard. The charger will not fit in Spain. Of course your friend may try to smuggle the Mac into Spain, but that gets very expensive if he is caught, and if that happens I'm sure he won't be your friend anymore.

b738

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Thanks for the english advice.

The way of gettting the macbook into spain is easy if he doesnt bring it with the original box and he brings it as if it was his personal laptop this wont be a problem.

The keyboard, when you buy the laptop you can choose spanish keyboard so thats ok. I would only need to get a different plug converter which they are very cheap.

I still dont understand how apple checks id. Because i believe that the card's name doesnt have to be the student.

So anyone that knows how they check the student status? Thank you ;)

LoMonkey

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks for the english advice.

The way of gettting the macbook into spain is easy if he doesnt bring it with the original box and he brings it as if it was his personal laptop this wont be a problem.

The keyboard, when you buy the laptop you can choose spanish keyboard so thats ok. I would only need to get a different plug converter which they are very cheap.

I still dont understand how apple checks id. Because i believe that the card's name doesnt have to be the student.

So anyone that knows how they check the student status? Thank you ;)

You will need to find out what University he goes to first. I'm pretty sure you have to use a edu email when purchasing. (at least I did in 2008) Also, the card doesn't have to match, but I'm pretty sure buying with a Spanish card will incur some exchange fees, so keep that in mind. You shouldn't really have a problem otherwise.

I just hope you trust this friend enough to actually give you the laptop. He/she can easily just keep it, and you would have no way of getting it.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have purchased a macbook via education last year, using my credit card, but delivered to my neice's address (who is the student).

No checks whatsoever - went through as smooth as always.

b738

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Thank you very much :)

Ill try to pay it from here and bring it to his home directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.