Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its investor relations page today to note that it will announce its earnings for the third fiscal quarter (second calendar quarter) of 2013 on Tuesday, July 23. The earnings release typically occurs just after 4:30 PM Eastern Time following the close of regular stock trading, and the conference call is scheduled to follow at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific.

investornews.jpg
MacRumors will provide running coverage of the earnings release and conference call.

The release will provide a look into the strength of iPhone 5 and iPad mini sales into their third quarter of availability, and perhaps updates on the new products announced at WWDC. Apple's stock price is down some 23 percent year-to-date and roughly 300 points off its highs of last year. Analysts have continuing concerns about Apple's ability to innovate without Steve Jobs, though the current price is up slightly from the previous earnings call.

In the past two July earnings calls, Apple has announced the imminent launch of OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, though there is no indication yet that Mavericks will launch the day after the call.

Apple reported strong results three months ago when it announced a dramatic increase in its share repurchase authorization and a larger dividend payment. Apple should update investors on the progress of its share repurchase program.

Apple provided guidance for the third quarter of fiscal 2013 for revenue of between $33.5 and $35.5 billion and gross margin between 36% and 37%.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q3 2013 Earnings on July 23

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
Oh is it one those events where journalists will ask Tim Cook about future products and he will not answer? Nice..

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
With virtually no new products in the entire first half of 2013, don't hold your breath for amazing results. Wall Street will cause the stock to tank again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This means no new products until July 24th at the earliest.

Waiting for the new rMBP.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
So here we go. Last quarter: quarterly revenue of $43.6 billion... Profit Margin 37.5%. I guess this quarter is slow quarter... That's makes sense, there really isn't any new product other than MacBook Air and people are waiting for iPhone 5S and new iPad mini。。。 Next quarter would be important... with launch of iOS 7, OS X Mavericks and bunch of new Macs, also most importantly, iPhone 5S and new iPad/ iPad Mini...

I bet stock will go down follow that.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Those lucky shareholders...

You mean those who purchased the stock before 2012... right?

Really sorry for the stockholders that bought it later, while it bubbled to 500, 600, 700, thinking it could go up forever, and got screwed.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

Really sorry for the stockholders that bought it later, while it bubbled to 500, 600, 700, thinking it could go up forever, and got screwed.

When someone else gets rich, someone else gets poor. That's the game of stocks. Wonderful world.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Those lucky shareholders...

I bought in at $14.00 a share. I would have been very lucky except I sold at $28.00. :rolleyes: It's okay though because I bought back in at $80.00. Almost sold at $700.00, but didn't want to make the same mistake twice. :eek: Still in all I'm feeling pretty lucky. :)

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I bought in at $14.00 a share. I would have been very lucky except I sold at $28.00. :rolleyes: It's okay though because I bought back in at $80.00. Almost sold at $700.00, but didn't want to make the same mistake twice. :eek: Still in all I'm feeling pretty lucky. :)

keep holding on to it! at least when the mac pro, and new iPhones are out!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
With virtually no new products in the entire first half of 2013, don't hold your breath for amazing results. Wall Street will cause the stock to tank again. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the market looks towards the long range future, and not the past, but it will be interesting to see how this market reacts now, post WWDC and with the various products expected to make an appearance within the next six months.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
lol one question tho. When you saw the stock tumbling down to 600, why not sell then? I don't want to come off as being mean, legitimate question.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
lol one question tho. When you saw the stock tumbling down to 600, why not sell then? I don't want to come off as being mean, legitimate question.

I can't answer for him. It's a logical question now, but no-one then was privileged to what was to happen next. The stock market is unpredictable for even the most knowledgeable of experts. Too many uncontrollable variables. A nuclear disaster, recurring tornadoes, tsunamis with massive flooding, gas plant explosions, civil uprising in the third world (some of whom control part of our energy supply), all could send the market in a tailspin faster than you can yell "SELL OFF". Of course no need to point out that the first three of the above scenarios have actually played out in the last few years.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So here we go. Last quarter: quarterly revenue of $43.6 billion... Profit Margin 37.5%. I guess this quarter is slow quarter... That's makes sense, there really isn't any new product other than MacBook Air and people are waiting for iPhone 5S and new iPad mini。。。 Next quarter would be important... with launch of iOS 7, OS X Mavericks and bunch of new Macs, also most importantly, iPhone 5S and new iPad/ iPad Mini...

I bet stock will go down follow that.

The stock will go down no matter what the results are.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Ok.....

let start the dance of Apple will flop or Apple will no flop.....Enough money reserves and people needing techno, so my guess is.....Apple will no flop....no in near future....:D

:):apple:

Romeosc

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012

I have continued buying Apple since it was $19 per share... And hold some at cost basis of over $700......

As long as I don't sell ..... I haven't lost anything..... Just a chance to reinvest the dividends at a lower price!:D

----------

The stock will go down no matter what the results are.

"Buy on the rumor... Sell on the news":D

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
It going to go down. Stock market and everybody else expects too much from them. No way their sales are better than the last quarter, especially when they didnt introduce not one single new product this whole time.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
When someone else gets rich, someone else gets poor. That's the game of stocks. Wonderful world.

That's not true in all or even most cases. After prosperous times, wealth was generated. During the 2008 crash, wealth actually disappeared. Gone. It didn't go to anyone. Sure some people got rich in 2008, but that's separate.

An example is if you bought Tesla at the start (you shrewd investor) and watched it go up because they made profits. I don't know what the "real" price is, but it's not all artificial inflation.

Last edited:

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I can't answer for him. It's a logical question now, but no-one then was privileged to what was to happen next. The stock market is unpredictable for even the most knowledgeable of experts. Too many uncontrollable variables. A nuclear disaster, recurring tornadoes, tsunamis with massive flooding, gas plant explosions, civil uprising in the third world (some of whom control part of our energy supply), all could send the market in a tailspin faster than you can yell "SELL OFF". Of course no need to point out that the first three of the above scenarios have actually played out in the last few years.

Or AP News gets hacked and reports that the White House has been bombed or (worse) a computer malfunction causes the Dow to drop 1000 points, and people lose money.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

Yes, it's a legit question. It's something I considered for sure. I am thinking very long term with this investment though, and there is always the chance it will head back up in the future. Yes, it could go down too. Also, I receive a decent dividend every three months. So why sell? Do you have any idea how much tax I'd have to pay if I sold? I live in California. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.