Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So I have my Mountain Lion partition, and my Mavericks one. I'm trying to make my Mavericks one slightly larger. The problem is Disk Utility in either version of OS X, and the recovery partition won't let me do it.

I can resize my Mountain Lion one, but then not my Mavericks? :confused:

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try a command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util from there to resize.

Make sure you have your data backed up first in case things go sideways.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So I have my Mountain Lion partition, and my Mavericks one. I'm trying to make my Mavericks one slightly larger. The problem is Disk Utility in either version of OS X, and the recovery partition won't let me do it.

I can resize my Mountain Lion one, but then not my Mavericks? :confused:
You can only make a partition larger if there is space after the end of the partition. You cannot change the starting location of the partition without losing the data on it.

There may be third party utilities that can do that, but I'm not sure I would trust those.

And definitely have backups before re-sizing partitions. Actually, just always have current backups.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You can only make a partition larger if there is space after the end of the partition. You cannot change the starting location of the partition without losing the data on it.

There may be third party utilities that can do that, but I'm not sure I would trust those.

And definitely have backups before re-sizing partitions. Actually, just always have current backups.

Really?! Damn. Okay then. If anyone knows of an app that can do it, I'll give it a go. No problem doing that.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Really?! Damn. Okay then. If anyone knows of an app that can do it, I'll give it a go. No problem doing that.

It's not a Mac limitation. It's the nature of how the partition tables are made. The only real way to do what you want would be to make an image of the second partition, put it somewhere safe, then delete the second partition and recreate it so that it includes all the now empty space, and restore the image back to it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's not a Mac limitation. It's the nature of how the partition tables are made. The only real way to do what you want would be to make an image of the second partition, put it somewhere safe, then delete the second partition and recreate it so that it includes all the now empty space, and restore the image back to it.

Good idea. Thanks. So basically,

1. Resize the Macintosh HD
2. Add another partition, size it the way I want
3. Restore Mavericks to that
4. Delete Mavericks
4. Resize it to fill in the remaining space?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Good idea. Thanks. So basically,

1. Resize the Macintosh HD
2. Add another partition, size it the way I want
3. Restore Mavericks to that
4. Delete Mavericks
4. Resize it to fill in the remaining space?

Yep that way could work. Or if you have enough space on the Macintosh HD partition to hold an image you could:

1. Open Disk Utility, click New Image, and point it to Mavericks.
2. Delete Mavericks.
3. Create new partition using all empty space.
4. Restore the image to the new partition.

Whichever way you prefer will work.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh god, that was a nightmare! You'd think you could do this all in the recovery disk utility, but it was a mix of booting into recovery, Mavericks, and Mountain Lion to do each step because my disk wouldn't unmount. Took like two hours, but I finally just finished.

Now I understand why reinstalls/upgrades never worked on my machine. :rolleyes:

And yeah, I did it my way and just resized Mountain Lion, added a new partition, and then restored Mavericks to it, removed the 40GB one, and then resized the new 200GB one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.