Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last year, we reported on a Dutch proposal to launch so-called "Steve Jobs schools" for children, offering a peek at of Jobs' vision of how the iPad could help remake the educational experience.

Spiegel now follows up (via AppleInsider) with a new report discussing the country's plans to open 11 such schools this August.
Some 1,000 children aged four to 12 will attend the schools, without notebooks, books or backpacks. Each of them, however, will have his or her own iPad.

There will be no blackboards, chalk or classrooms, homeroom teachers, formal classes, lesson plans, seating charts, pens, teachers teaching from the front of the room, schedules, parent-teacher meetings, grades, recess bells, fixed school days and school vacations. If a child would rather play on his or her iPad instead of learning, it'll be okay. And the children will choose what they wish to learn based on what they happen to be curious about.
The article highlights the flexible nature of the schools with a look at an upcoming school being prepared in the city of Breda. The school building itself will be open from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM every day of the year except Christmas and New Year's Day, with children free to come and go as they please as long as they are present during the core school day that runs from 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM.

children_ipad_iphone.jpg
Under the model of individualized instruction, students will learn through iPad apps at their own pace, with teachers serving as coaches to help them reach goals and advance to subsequent levels.
As such, the school day never really ends. Pupils are welcome to keep working on their iPads at home, on weekends or on vacation. But as much as the program offers freedom and continuity, it also comes with a substantial monitoring component. The iPad keeps teachers and parents constantly informed about what children are doing, what they have learned and how they are progressing.
Teachers, children, and parents meet to discuss goals for each six-week period, setting up standards to help students gain the knowledge and skills to move on to the next level.

Dutch researcher Maurice de Hond, the man behind the initiative, believes that the number of schools should grow to at least forty next year, with the schools being publicly funded and open to all children and subsidies available to families unable to afford an iPad.

Article Link: Dutch Officials Set to Open 11 iPad-Only 'Steve Jobs Schools' for Children

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Well, why even bother? Just go all out and let the kids grade themselves. This WOULD NOT work over hear BTW. Just saying.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well, why even bother? Just go all out and let the kids grade themselves. This WOULD NOT work over hear BTW. Just saying.

From my experience "go at your own pace" schools just make people slack off and fall below average.

could not agree more. There is a point where trying to be "too forward" thinking is actually backtracking....and this is it.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
I wouldn't send my kids there. They get enough electronics time at home. I want a strong teacher presence to guide and help them learn not apps and games.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I was going to post some snarky comment, but then I saw the kid on the right.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains

Don't believe everything you read, the initiative is from private people, Dutch authorities are strongly against this.

Last edited:

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
And they will never be able to write legibly on paper or do math, likewise?

Great. This will be the generation in charge of my life when I'm old and fall and break my hip....

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I worry about humanity

we have a generation that can't write a letter (but they text like crazy), and now this...

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

You really think it wouldn't work?
It's already happening in the U.S. it's call homeschooling using computers instead of iPads, but that's gradually changing.
And no, students don't grade themselves. If they don't do it right, they will get bad grades. Actually, as soon as the tutor sees a student lacking, parents get notified.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
That's bold. Really curious to see how this turns out.

So am I as well. My guess is a few students will literally thrive in this environment but the majority will be greatly hindered as most children do need structure and direction. For those few with drive toward self starting or those with an inquisitive nature, I would expect the children to excel.

I hope they screen the children well to get the right ones in the program.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
The good....speeds mental development. The bad...the "world" becomes an lcd device....AND...they discover Facebook for Kids.

MacDaddy15

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
21st century learning

This is an early attempt at 21st century learning. Replace the teacher from his/her traditional role to that of a facilitator. There are many problems with this. This technology(idea) comes from college & industry. No one else is there, yet. For those with the drive(& money), it is great. However, not everyone is going to buy into this type of learning. People(children) still need to be lead. There is a need and reason for structure. 99% of current teachers in the US are not ready to teach in this format. Administrators are in the dark as well. There is no training as such, unless that individual goes out and pursues it himself/herself. Money is tight in schools. The current plan for most districts is BYOD. Yes, LAUSD recently purchased $30 million in Ipads for their schools. However, that is not the norm. Teacher grad schools are not teaching this to any great degree, either. Private schools can do what they want and they are the ones who are pushing forward. Many parents, students, and the public think that a smartphone is 21st century learning but that is not the case. Social media does not help in the learning process. 21st century, blended, and online learning came out of colleges & universities where these institutions have already been paid. So, it is up to the student to push themselves to get the grade. That is where is will stay, for the most part. IMHO.

roasted

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
could not agree more. There is a point where trying to be "too forward" thinking is actually backtracking....and this is it.

As somebody who works in the technology side of school districts, I can say with absolute certainty that this comment quoted above nailed it 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.