Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I know it must be something simple but its mildly annoying. When I right click on the desktop to create a new folder, the name box is not automatically highlighted all ready for me to rename the folder from the default 'untitled folder'.

Yet every so once in a while it will be highlighted. So I don't now if I'm unconsciously performing some stray extra mouse click or something when I create a folder that immediately un-hightlights the text box or what. :confused:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I know it must be something simple but its mildly annoying. When I right click on the desktop to create a new folder, the name box is not automatically highlighted all ready for me to rename the folder from the default 'untitled folder'.

Yet every so once in a while it will be highlighted. So I don't now if I'm unconsciously performing some stray extra mouse click or something when I create a folder that immediately un-hightlights the text box or what. :confused:

I used to do the same thing!

Instead, go to the menu bar and click on File, then "New Folder". You will get a folder with the box highlighted...just type in your title.:D

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I used to do the same thing!

Instead, go to the menu bar and click on File, then "New Folder". You will get a folder with the box highlighted...just type in your title.:D

Thanks. So basically its a matter of what method you use when creating a new folder then.

If I right click on desktop, no its not highlighted (well, maybe one in ten times), but if I create new folder from the finder menu, it always will... or likewise if I make new folder within a folder it'll do it.

This must be one of them bugs, erm, feature. ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thanks. So basically its a matter of what method you use when creating a new folder then.

If I right click on desktop, no its not highlighted (well, maybe one in ten times), but if I create new folder from the finder menu, it always will... or likewise if I make new folder within a folder it'll do it.

This must be one of them bugs, erm, feature. ;)

I used to try to right click on desktop, and sometimes the new folder is highlighted and sometimes not. It drove me nuts, and I tried every which way to get the highlighting. Then I checked the Apple instructions, and using the Menu Bar worked 100% of the time.

That's just how it is, apparently, intended to work. I don't find it to be a big problem...:D

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
It sounds like what is happening is you will occasionally right click on the desktop and choose Create New Folder while inadvertently in an application other than Finder.

For instance, while reading this in Safari I right clicked on my desktop and created a new folder, immediately the name is set as untitled folder.

If you switch to Finder (click on the desktop first to be sure, also check that Finder is shown as the application next to the Apple menu) before right clicking and choosing create new folder then you will always have the option to change the folder name, unless of course you accidentally add a stray click.

This is also why using the menu appears to work 100% of the time, because doing so ensures that Finder is the active application/process.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks guys. Figured it was something simple. Your right there Mr Rabbit. Since I normally have applications open then I right click on the desktop and create a folder its not highlighted, but if I move from an application, then click the desktop to go to the finder, THEN create a folder, it works properly. Doh!
:)

Its why I'm wondering, how come maybe once out of ten times its working, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.