Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adiofm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I purchased AppleCare when I bought my Macbook Retina, but decided that I don't actually want to activate it until I get to the end of the first year. I was trying to sell it for a significant discount (normally $349). No one seems interested. I mean I've had it up for a week. Am I wrong in assuming that it's worth over $200?

To clarify, I have it up for $210

[Removed the URL since that may not be allowed]

Last edited:

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
If you buy it from apple directly I think its still $349, but other places such as ebay and B&H do have them for cheaper than apple

Misread the OP =P yeah some people are just skeptical about purchasing it second-hand. Wasnt there a way you could sell it back to apple?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're mostly competing against counterfeit applecare sellers. Those people who sell just the code (no box) at a steep discount.

If you can get your money back on the purchase that might be better then trying to sell it on ebay.

adiofm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
You're mostly competing against counterfeit applecare sellers. Those people who sell just the code (no box) at a steep discount.

If you can get your money back on the purchase that might be better then trying to sell it on ebay.

That makes sense, but mine is factory sealed... And I have it on there for $210!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That makes sense, but mine is factory sealed...

Money talks, many people are unaware of this little cottage industry, and for the most part it probably won't come back to haunt them either. Its only there's two registrations with the same serial number will apple contact the person asking for the box.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
I purchased AppleCare when I bought my Macbook Retina, but decided that I don't actually want to activate it until I get to the end of the first year. I was trying to sell it for a significant discount (normally $349). No one seems interested. I mean I've had it up for a week. Am I wrong in assuming that it's worth over $200?

To clarify, I have it up for $210

[Removed the URL since that may not be allowed]

I'm pretty sure you can return AppleCare at a pro rated return rate up until the 3rd year of expiration. So I'd assume you could also return and unopened unused AppleCare if you still have your receipt - I figure the worst case would be they just give you store credit which is still better than a 40% loss trying to sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.