Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Soon? Haha it already is!
It amazes me sometimes how many bored to tears, Apple device haters there are, with nothing better to do.

I barely keep up with the Apple boards, much less have spare time to go troll all the various droid discussions.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Does hardware matter when an 'outdated' phone like iPhone 5 still browses web and loads games faster than flagship droid devices?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
My mom just bought a brand new iPhone 4.
For her, it's not outdated, it brand new. If you are happy with the phone it's never outdated.
Also, a friend of mine uses a 17" Macbook Pro from 2007. He just bought and SSD (only because the 6 year old original HDD broke) and he plans to keep it another 3 or 4 years. It's his only computer and for him it's still the best.
He took the computer in the desert, he spilled vodka on the keyboard, it has been in a car crash and that thing is still fine for every day use.
He bought it brand new in 2007 for 2,999 $.

Last edited:

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
I went to a store, tried some new phones like xperia z, s4, z10, etc with bigger screen and damn it doesn't feel sluggish at all and oh boy bigger screen does look great, better for reading, inputting, etc. Apple really needs to make an iphone variant with a bigger screen. Period.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
I went to a store, tried some new phones like xperia z, s4, z10, etc with bigger screen and damn it doesn't feel sluggish at all and oh boy bigger screen does look great, better for reading, inputting, etc. Apple really needs to make an iphone variant with a bigger screen. Period.

Completely agree. It's weird to see so many apologists for Apple's one size fits all approach to the iPhone when every other Apple product with a screen comes in different sizes. Just give us a choice between the current screen size and, say, five inches at double the resolution. Bam, everyone's happy.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Outdated only if you opted for the 16GB model.

Depends on user usage though. I have the 16GB model, and it's more than enough because I use only a few apps and keep almost no media on my device (have cheap MP3 player for music).

Soon? Haha it already is!

Other phones have much higher specs, but specifications matter less than usability.

Completely agree. It's weird to see so many apologists for Apple's one size fits all approach to the iPhone when every other Apple product with a screen comes in different sizes. Just give us a choice between the current screen size and, say, five inches at double the resolution. Bam, everyone's happy.

My guess is that Apple will be forced to add a larger iPhone to its portfolio soon. Personally, I prefer the compact dimensions of the 5, but I understand why people want a bigger screen for surfing the web or typing.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Depends on user usage though. I have the 16GB model, and it's more than enough because I use only a few apps and keep almost no media on my device (have cheap MP3 player for music).

I take photos of everything. I love taking photos, but my iPhone has very limited storage (my fault). :(

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Space has never been an issue for me strangely. I only keep the music on my smartphone that I want to listen to and delete it when I'm bored of it, I have dropbox synced to my phone so when I take pictures they automatically get uploaded to my computer so I can delete them off my phone, and I don't play a lot of games. Thus 8 GB has served me well for over 3 years. But the phone itself is just ancient now (Evo 4G) and it's time for it to go :)

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately I'm still not sure which phone to buy so I'll probably just wait it out a bit longer.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
When the 5 launched, it benchmarked faster than any other smartphone at the time.

Obviously since we're coming up on almost a year, the 5 is being surpassed by almost any other modern smartphone out there.

I have no doubt the 5S will re-king the iPhone as a competitive smartphone.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Benchmarks don't really matter. It's how the phone performs in opening apps and browsing that's important. iPhone 5 still easily competes and outperforms all modern phones even though they benchmark higher. I went into a store and tested game loading speed against s4. iPhone 5 comfortably won every time by 1-2 seconds

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Benchmarks don't really matter. It's how the phone performs in opening apps and browsing that's important. iPhone 5 still easily competes and outperforms all modern phones even though they benchmark higher. I went into a store and tested game loading speed against s4. iPhone 5 comfortably won every time by 1-2 seconds
Benchmarks don't matter because Apple isn't really competing against Android - the fact is, Cupertino is already behind everyone else and iOS 7 is too little, too late.

There are certain things you can't do on the S4. And there are certain things you can do on the S4 that you simply cannot do on any iDevice - and it's not about benchmarks either.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
We've reached a point where specs don't really matter regardless of the platform. Everything is fast. My Nexus 4 is just as fast as the day I got it almost 7 months ago. Not once have I wished I had a faster phone. Same with the iPhone 5. Fast is fast. Android is just as smooth as iOS with modern hardware.

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
I wouldn't care if someone told me that inside of my iPhone there lived a troll and two fairies. I was a spec-hoarder on Android OS for years. Until I played with an iPhone 5. It's smoother. I never experience hitching and lag as I did with past Androids, my S3 for example.
Specs do matter in many respects, storage, camera applications, etc. But as others have said, having an OS optimized for the hardware of the device is key, and specs take a backseat to that.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I wouldn't care if someone told me that inside of my iPhone there lived a troll and two fairies. I was a spec-hoarder on Android OS for years. Until I played with an iPhone 5. It's smoother. I never experience hitching and lag as I did with past Androids, my S3 for example.
Specs do matter in many respects, storage, camera applications, etc. But as others have said, having an OS optimized for the hardware of the device is key, and specs take a backseat to that.

I think the optimization thing is true. I dug out my ancient iPod touch (i think it's a 2 gen?) out of my closet (stopped using it long ago) and charged it up. I was amazed at how smooth everything still seemed even in comparison to my newer Android smartphone. I don't know what it is but just stuff like scrolling, opening apps, web browsing, it seems much smoother on iOS.

I'm pretty sure on getting an iPhone now however I'll probably wait for the 5S to come out and see if that's worth getting or just getting the 5 when the price drops

Thanks guys

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Let me save you some trouble: BUY THE HTC ONE

If you are obsessed with "specs" (clearly), then Apple phones will never be bleeding edge and there will likely ALWAYS be something with a faster processor, bigger screen, more RAM, smaller (32GB? I have a 64) storage, etc...

You mention being outdated, yet don't give one example WHY it matters?

Is it too slow running your favorite app? Can it not handle your need for XYZ?

Why do you need the "specs" so badly? The HTC ONE has by and large been a flop (even compared to other Android releases) especially for a phone they once thought would "dominate" the android landscape (HTC's quote, not mine).

There are people in the world that want things just because they're told to, and there are other people that wnat things because they have a need.

If you want "specs" just move along. It's really ok. Apple won't even notice, I promise :D

:apple:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Let me save you some trouble: BUY THE HTC ONE

If you are obsessed with "specs" (clearly), then Apple phones will never be bleeding edge and there will likely ALWAYS be something with a faster processor, bigger screen, more RAM, smaller (32GB? I have a 64) storage, etc...

You mention being outdated, yet don't give one example WHY it matters?

Is it too slow running your favorite app? Can it not handle your need for XYZ?

Why do you need the "specs" so badly? The HTC ONE has by and large been a flop (even compared to other Android releases) especially for a phone they once thought would "dominate" the android landscape (HTC's quote, not mine).

There are people in the world that want things just because they're told to, and there are other people that wnat things because they have a need.

If you want "specs" just move along. It's really ok. Apple won't even notice, I promise :D

:apple:

You seem mad

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I agree with the majority of posters here that specs are a lot less important these days. Smart phones in general are just reaching a level of maturity where you don't have to jump on the latest and greatest. It's the apps that a making smart phones interesting these days, and in that regard you'll have a better experience on iOS since developers have fewer devices they need to target.

But, I will say that we are now in that period of time when you really need to consider waiting for the next iPhone. We're likely only 2-3 months away from an update. Don't spend your money just because it's burning a hole in your pocket. If you really need a device now, then get one. But if you can wait at all then you should.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
When you compare it to the HTC One it gets destroyed so badly it's kind of sad, in terms of processor power, RAM, and drive size (HTC one comes with 32 gb).

However with that said I like the form factor of the iPhone 5 more (a big screen is nice but the HTC One seems a little too big for use with one hand), I like iOS better, and I have a MBA so it would work nicely together.

I ask because I plan to upgrade soon but can't decide which one to get. I don't really want to wait for the 5s/6 since I don't want to pay $200 or wait another 5 months. I'm just a little worried I will regret getting the iPhone 5 a year from now because its specs might be way behind everything else.

Technically most devices are outdatted by the time of their release. Since it takes a good few months for the design alone, when manufacturing and production come to play, it takes longer. And by the time its out to the public, research has developed new technology. So the design team starts over and repeat.

If ou are talking about apple support, I think the iPhone 5 may last through iOS8 or 9, maybe even 10. If the 5S is out, id say get that one, and usually apple has another event in september, so lets hope for that along with an october release.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
It'll be outdated when the iPhone 5S is released.

No it won't....If it works, still handles all iOS apps, functions the way the customers expects it to, makes calls, etc,, its not outdated even when the iPhone 6 or even 7/8 come out. Its only outdated by those that want the latest releases, and that is just stupid talk of the iPhone 5 being outdated by the next release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.