Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Me and my wife have a nationwide family plan with two smartphones.
I still have an unlimited data, she has a 2GB data plan.
We both are eligible for device upgrades, but if I use my upgrade, I would lose my unlimited data, rite?
There is no way of keeping it?
My wife wants an iphone 5 or 5S for herself, so I am stuck!!!
Any help??

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Me and my wife have a nationwide family plan with two smartphones.
I still have an unlimited data, she has a 2GB data plan.
We both are eligible for device upgrades, but if I use my upgrade, I would lose my unlimited data, rite?
There is no way of keeping it?
My wife wants an iphone 5 or 5S for herself, so I am stuck!!!
Any help??
Right, you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade. I don't know of a loophole unless you have something up your sleeve. I have one upgrade left using unlimited but I am considering t-mobile myself. Maybe that is an option for you?

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Upgrading a phone on another line and switching the phone to another line is not a "loophole".

But you have a few options in your situation.

• You can of course buy the iPhone 5/5S at full price.
  • You can add an additional line onto your family plan for $9.99 and get the iPhone on that line, then switch it to your unlimited line and remove the data plan off the new line. ($9.99 ~= $239.76 over two years). This can be cheaper over the course of two years rather than buying it at full price depending on which iPhone you get.
  • You can have your wife use her upgrade, then you can transfer your upgrade to her line, and she can upgrade her phone again. This will renew the contract on your unlimited line, but the device subsidy will be recorded on her own line. Once the second device is activated on her line, you can then move it to your unlimited line. This is tricky to do right, and you're best off doing it over the phone with actual customer support rather than a salesman in the store (whom have limited options on their systems compared to actual customer service). But I believe it's possible for stores to do, you just need to make sure they read their manual correctly as some staff at the verizon stores believe the unlimited line would have the subsidy registered with it, when actually it's registered on the line you transfer it to.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Yes. Loophole still works. Have your wife get a new iPhone with her upgrade. Activate the phone on her line. Then have your wife get a 2nd new iPhone with your upgrade and activate that phone on her line. Then the first iPhone she bought will not be on any line. You can put it put on your line and keep your unlimited data.

The trick is: never upgrade the phone that has unlimited data.

hondaivtec2007

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Pa
Yes. Loophole still works. Have your wife get a new iPhone with her upgrade. Activate the phone on her line. Then have your wife get a 2nd new iPhone with your upgrade and activate that phone on her line. Then the first iPhone she bought will not be on any line. You can put it put on your line and keep your unlimited data.

Mactumors is correct have ur wife upgrade her line activate the new phone then have her deactivate it and put her old phone back on that line then u can activate the new phone on ur line and transfer your upgrade to her phone number so she can get a new phone as well. I have done this many times I got the iphone 5 then the s4 then back to another new iphone 5 and still have my unlimited data

risk235

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
I got this from HoFo:

So this. Call and add a 5th line with customer provided equipment. It will be month to month with no contract. Then go to a store and do an alternate upgrade using the upgrade from your original line and putting the S4 on the new line. This will renew the contract on your original line without affecting it's data plan. It will temporarily pit the new phone on the new line. This will not put the new line in a contract or anything. Then leave the store and call to have the basic phone or whatever pit back on the new line and move the new phone where you want it. After that's done cancel the new line that has no contract. If you do this all within 3 days you won't even have an activation fee for the new line.

JRunner01

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
So Am I safe to keep unlimited data in what seems to be the same scenario as above???

Hi All...

The example above seems to be my same scenario except that I only wish to upgrade the phone on line 2 (tiered 2 GB already) which is my wife's line using my upgrade from line 1 with unlimited data.

Here is the post I made on the Verizon Wireless forums where I got conflicting responses. Can someone here review and let me know if I am OK to keep unlimited data on line 1?

Currently I have the new phone in possession and just waiting to actually enable it on line 2. Also currently my line 1 still shows unlimited data and a new 2 yr end date for its contract.

Thanks in advance...

Hi All...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in the previous pages and answered already, but there is a lot of different scenarios going on and I am not sure I have found a similar situation that clearly answers it. I know I heard time after time that if you transfer an upgrade from line 1 to line 2, and line 1 has the unlimited data plan and line 2 has the tiered plan, that you will effectively loose the unlimited plan from line 1 since it was the originator of the transfer \ upgrade and it will be converted to a tiered plan. However I have experienced what appears to be the "loophole" in the online tool for upgrading and wanted to see if I am not going to loose my unlimited data on line 1 based on the experts here or those that may have experienced this same scenario.

What I did is I used the online transfer upgrade tool to first transfer my upgrade from line 1 (unlimited) to line 2 (tiered). I then selected Line 2 as my upgrade device. Selected a new phone (galaxy s4) and kept my existing family share voice plan option. I then left the default selections for my current line 2 plan options for Data (which set to 2gb tiered) and my other normal features. All of these options were indicating "existing plan features" text. After clicking next I was given a pop up that said features added and features removed. The added section contained what I expected as mentioned earlier and the removed had nothing listed. NOW, according to the sales reps who tried doing this with me via the phone while they were logged in to My Verizon account, said when they got this pop up it said the same as my pop up except that theirs also said "unlimited data" as a removed item. I explained my pop up did not but they still insisted it would be removed even though it didn't say it for me for some reason.

I then cancelled the process and the next day spoke to another sales rep via chat and explained all the above and he indicated that if it didn't say it was being dropped then I am good to go and should be fine to keep my unlimited data on line 1. He said that if for some reason it all turns out bad that Customer Service should be able to back it all out for me as if I never did any of it.

So today I took that chance and did it... order submitted. Took screen shots off all the screens as I explained above as hope that I have some recourse if I need to have them back it out or to justify my unlimited data remaining on line 1.

I have no plans of moving the new phone to line 1, it is meant for my line 2 as the phone there is old and tired and needs upgrade sooner that it's line allows.

Can anyone comment if I'm OK to keep line 1 unlimited data?

Last edited:

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Seemingly, some of these solutions involve 'passing an upgrade' from one line to another in order to avoid using an upgrade on a line with unlimited data..

Around Christmas time I wanted to purchase an iPhone 5 for my wife and keep my unlimited - but, was told that I wasn't allowed to pass my upgrade to her line. The VZW rep told me that she would do it for any other phone - but, they couldn't do that if my intention was to purchase an iPhone with the upgrade. A couple of reps told me that.

Anyone else experience this?

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011

Bumping for everyone that's asking the same question over and over again on how to do the Verizon Unlimited Loophole. Here's the other method.

1) My father-in-law and I both have upgrades available.
2) I'll be transferring MY upgrade to a father-in-law's dumb phone.
3) Ordering new iPhone 5s using that upgrade, adding 2gb data plan.
4) Once I get the phone in hand, WITHOUT ACTIVATING IT, call Verizon to activate the iPhone 5s to my unlimited plan, and reactivating the FIL's dumb phone which deletes the 2gb data plan.
5) FIL still has an upgrade available, so he can either get his own iphone or whatever other phone he wants.

This has worked for years for many members regardless of what any Verizon CSR tells you. If the CSR you speak to can't do it, hang up and try again until you get a CSR that knows how to do it.

Some members have figured out how to do it all online and its posted on a thread here, but I can't find that old thread to repeat instructions. JRunner01's post gives a nice summary of the online method of doing this. The pop-up window on the CSR's screens seems to be something new. If so, then we may all have to start doing the transfer upgrade trick online ourselves. Just remember, DOUBLE CHECK features removed to make sure the unlimited data is not being dropped.

Good Luck next week everyone!

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Thanks ^

Another quick questions: I have Verizon. 3 phones due for upgrade: 2 of them are with data plans, 1 is a dummy. Right now we're still on the unlimited data plan.

I plan on upgrading the dumbphone, activating that on my line (5S). The other phone will have to upgrade its line out, which in turn would downgrade it to the 2GB cap, right?

This will only be for THAT line or does this effect all lines? (Per line basis or one data cap for all?)

Thanks everyone.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Curious,

I have two unlimited family plan lines that can be upgraded.

What if I added a third line, bought an iPhone 5s for that third line, after getting the phone, (not activating it) transfer my unlimited upgrade to that third line and rebuy an iPhone 5s. Is that possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.