Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It's July on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies:

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Photography forum tutorials:

If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here **

----------

I'll start off with a Vivid Sydney:

Reactions: christytaylor64

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Walkers on the Coast-to-Coast long-distance walk. The stone walls were designed to 'funnel' sheep off the fell, to make it easier for a man and a dog to round them up into a pen...

zw29.jpg

Reactions: christytaylor64

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Went bird-banding again yesterday and was pretty chuffed to see my first Chough! A juvenile White Winged Chough got snared in a net. They are an amazing bird building nests out of grass, coated in mud and they have a communal arrangement in regard of rearing their young.

IMG_5607_zps75eedf46.jpg

Canon 60D, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Last week I visited MI's upper peninsula, went north around Lake Michigan and down into WI. This first image is the lighthouse in Mackinaw City with the Mackinac Bridge in the background.

MI%202013-175-XL.jpg

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Nice one. SOG. But what about the one of Uncle Vinny? ;) :) Looks like you're on a tour of the Southwestern US. Stay cool, my friend with all of this record breaking hot weather.

Thanks .... Yeah , I was in N. Arizona/lower Utah 2 weeks ago . Was visiting some friends from H.S. who , for some reason unknown to me , retired to Phoenix , and decided to head north to where it's cooler and there's a lot of places I'd always wanted to see . I beat the heat wave , it was only 108 in Phoenix when I left .

Thought twice about Vinny , not the best pic and he's , well , excitable .;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
After picking up my first DSLR I went out for my first proper shoot after work today. I took about 150 photos and this was probably my favourite.
I shoot in RAW and am having a little trouble uploading images due to the file size. I basically use Perfect resize and reduce the pixel count and convert to Jpeg. The trouble with this method is it doesnt tell me the file size so I have to keep trying untill it is small enough. Should I reduce the jpeg quality or something? I don't have Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture (yet). Just iPhoto and OnOne suite.

So I had to make my image tiny to get it to upload. How do I make them nice and big like all of yours?

Attachments

• Bee 5.jpg
    Bee 5.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 224

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
After picking up my first DSLR I went out for my first proper shoot after work today. I took about 150 photos and this was probably my favourite.
I shoot in RAW and am having a little trouble uploading images due to the file size. I basically use Perfect resize and reduce the pixel count and convert to Jpeg. The trouble with this method is it doesnt tell me the file size so I have to keep trying untill it is small enough. Should I reduce the jpeg quality or something? I don't have Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture (yet). Just iPhoto and OnOne suite.

So I had to make my image tiny to get it to upload. How do I make them nice and big like all of yours?

Reduce to 1024px wide and save as JPEG 8. That should give you an acceptable file size.
I upload my pix to imageshack, mainly because it's free and easy.
Designer Dale made some good guides as to how to embed images in this thread, check out the links in the first post of this thread for more information.

(Click for larger)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.