Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pauldeneve.jpg
According to a tipster who spoke to AppleInsider, Apple may be planning to hire Paul Deneve, who recently left his post as CEO of French luxury label Yves Saint Laurent to "pursue a career in the technology industry."

Deneve, who has worked for a number of luxury labels including Courreges, Nina Ricci, and Lanvin, was previously employed at Apple Europe from 1990 to 1997, where he held several sales and marketing positions.

While no information was given on Deneve's possible role at Apple, his past experience suggests that he could be a potential replacement for former retail head John Browett, who was ousted from Apple in October of 2012.
Apple may want to draw upon Deneve's expertise in the luxury goods sector to help launch new products, including the rumored iWatch. The mere mention of Apple trademarking "iWatch" has driven up the company's stock by 6 percent across the last two days.

Recruiting an established member of the fashion and luxury goods sector could be a move to propel Apple's brand internationally, building upon the success and cachet of the iPhone, which dramatically opened up new demand for the company's products outside the United States.
Both Apple and YSL have declined to comment on the possible hire and no further information is available at this time.

Update: According to Bloomberg reporter Adam Satariano, Apple has confirmed that it has hired Paul Deneve, but not as the SVP of retail. Instead, Deneve will work on "special projects" and will report directly to Tim Cook.
"We're thrilled to welcome Paul Deneve to Apple," the Cupertino, California-based company said in a statement yesterday. "He'll be working on special projects as a vice president reporting directly to Tim Cook."

Article Link: Apple to Hire Former Yves Saint Laurent CEO Paul Deneve? [Update: Confirmed]

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
An iWatch so the US government can spy even more on me? No, thanks.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
An iWatch so the US government can spy even more on me? No, thanks.

I really hope you don't think the US government is "spying" on everyone with an iOS device. Even if they knew every keystroke or website I visited I really wouldn't care. I'm not paranoid enough to think they have enough time to pour though everything millions of people are doing in order to.... in order to do what....? Arrest you for checking out Grumpy Cat on Facebook? If they analyse every email, phone call and text message for terrorist activity and it keeps me safe at sporting events, on airplanes, in hotels, at work and at home, then let them. The government isn't too concerned that I have fetishes or what my 401k looks like or that I like to watch Most Extreme Elimination Challenge.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Don't know this person, but from his background/credentials, he couldn't possibly be worse than Browett. He seems to have the 'je-ne-sais-quoi' and 'cachet' APPLE might be seeking. Even though it was before SJ's return, APPLE had seven years to evaluate him, so hopefully they got it right this time.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hope that works out with our British chief designer. Might cause some "tension" :confused:

1. We don't know what he will be doing (or even if he'll be a SVP).
2. I think Ive is plenty busy in his current role so I doubt there will be tension.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Yep. Watches are fashion items. If they want to sell a fashion item they need expertise at the highest level of the fashion world. That would certainly qualify as a special project reporting to Tim Cook.

No no no no no no. Not all watches are fashion items. Some are more functional. I don't want a fashion led iWatch. I would absolutely not buy one if they went down that route. The iWatch is a portable computer you wear on your wrist and synch with your iPhone. It's NOT a watch. Go buy a fashion watch if that's what you want, but I hope Apple make it wearable tech rather than fashion.

Amer.Dababneh

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
Former Yves Saint Laurent CEO?

Although Apple is already an elegant brand, but it wouldn't hurt to have more class.. #Stylish :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No no no no no no. Not all watches are fashion items. Some are more functional. I don't want a fashion led iWatch. I would absolutely not buy one if they went down that route. The iWatch is a portable computer you wear on your wrist and synch with your iPhone. It's NOT a watch. Go buy a fashion watch if that's what you want, but I hope Apple make it wearable tech rather than fashion.

And who wants to wear a "functional" watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.