Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guppy51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Ok I just received my 2013 MBA, my first macbook ever. Now what can I do with it? What are some must have programs that I should download? Also I got an IPad2 can I link them to make transfer files easier? I am sure I can find all this information on the internet, or simple googling it but I am just too excited.

Brand new to all this icloud and itune deal. Anyone want to be my messager friend?

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
A few useful apps that I have purchased/downloaded...

Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac (free as I'm MSDN sub through work)
Final Cut Pro X (I got it, opened it once in a year)
Photoshop CS6 (Again got it, opened it once/twice in a year)
iStat Pro - measures all temps/usage/battery etc

Not sure on any others I don't have much installed on my mba as it's a secondary and not primary computer :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can I ask why did you buy it, if you didn't have any intended needs?

Check out the Mac applications forums, for application suggestions.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Depends what you intend to do. If it's just surfing the web or listening to music, that kind of stuff, then there aren't really any necessary programs.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Can I ask why did you buy it, if you didn't have any intended needs?

Check out the Mac applications forums, for application suggestions.

Because I wanted to try it out but then just didn't get around to it ;D

And all the programs to me was free.
MS Office '11 due to MSDN subscription from work.
Then I have a work apple dev account which got Final Cut Pro X so didn't pay for that employee benefits ay.
and well PS I admit is a dodgy copy :p

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Cyberduck (FTP/SSH)
Transmission (torrents)
TextWrangler (good text editor)
Handbrake (video conversion)
Max (audio conversion)
BetterTouchTool (window snapping)
Stuffit Expander (archiver)

That's actually the extent of my third party apps except for Xcode and developers tools, and Gimp.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Because I wanted to try it out but then just didn't get around to it ;D

And all the programs to me was free.
MS Office '11 due to MSDN subscription from work.
Then I have a work apple dev account which got Final Cut Pro X so didn't pay for that employee benefits ay.
and well PS I admit is a dodgy copy :p

I'm sure he was talking to the OP.

Guppy51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for all the quick replies loved the mac community already, I am only using it for general use, web browning, banking, music, video, light gaming and documents. Yes maybe getting a MBA is overkill but since I invested into some Appl, I want to give my investment's product a try, also I heard many great things about mac.

Also all the programs you mentioned do I get it from the app store, in store or just google it and get it from their website? I been living without a actual desktop/laptop for over 9 months, so I feel like I am a bit behind. Long story short I sold my desktop and moved to Asia 9 months ago and I been traveling for the past 5-6 months, I got this laptop so I can work on my resume.

Once again thanks for al the replies.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the quick replies loved the mac community already, I am only using it for general use, web browning, banking, music, video, light gaming and documents. Yes maybe getting a MBA is overkill but since I invested into some Appl, I want to give my investment's product a try, also I heard many great things about mac.

Also all the programs you mentioned do I get it from the app store, in store or just google it and get it from their website? I been living without a actual desktop/laptop for over 9 months, so I feel like I am a bit behind. Long story short I sold my desktop and moved to Asia 9 months ago and I been traveling for the past 5-6 months, I got this laptop so I can work on my resume.

Once again thanks for al the replies.

For the ones I've posted:

MS Office 2011 - Not app store, elsewhere - apple online store physical item.
Final Cut Pro X - Mac App Store
Photoshop CS6 - An online store - Eg. Amazon.

If you want an application a quick search of app store will tell you if it's there or not, if it's not google is your friend :)

Guppy51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
For the ones I've posted:

MS Office 2011 - Not app store, elsewhere - apple online store physical item.
Final Cut Pro X - Mac App Store
Photoshop CS6 - An online store - Eg. Amazon.

If you want an application a quick search of app store will tell you if it's there or not, if it's not google is your friend :)

Thanks a lot I been using my Ipad for the past 10months, so I am use to get everything from the apple app store.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks a lot I been using my Ipad for the past 10months, so I am use to get everything from the apple app store.

No problem, glad the community of mac geeks could help you :)
It's always worth a browse of the app store when you first get your mac you never know what application may catch your eye. But also if you do a google search of like "top mac applications" theres so many websites & youtube videos to go through if that's your thing!

Cheers, AMN.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
For someone new to either Mac or Windows, I usually recommend using whatever comes built-in for a while. That way, you learn the native capabilities of the OS and included apps and utilities (TextEdit, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, etc.). When you come up against specific limitations/un-addressed needs, it's time to start searching for solutions.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
For someone new to either Mac or Windows, I usually recommend using whatever comes built-in for a while. That way, you learn the native capabilities of the OS and included apps and utilities (TextEdit, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, etc.). When you come up against specific limitations/un-addressed needs, it's time to start searching for solutions.

I have to agree here. One of the things I LOVED when I first started using Mac was the fact that unlike Windows, the built in apps don't suck.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Cuddle with it....

On a more serious note, it all depends what you intend to use it for.

Pages is a good option for a word processor...

LJMoloney

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I would get Open Office instead of Microsoft Office you get a full feature program compatiable with powerpoint, excel, and word, the main reason being It is free.

I would also get Seashore for photo editing and Inkspace for vector graphics both are free.

Carbon Copy Cloner for cloning files and folders and drives

Dropbox for cloud storage

Face Time for video chat

Calibre for reading ebooks

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I wasn't really thrilled with Pages at first and wound up purchasing Office for Mac. Quickly discovered that Word for Mac was much more limited than the Windows version and not very stable in an OSX environment. Long story short, Pages is now my first choice.

I needed to prepare a lengthy domcument quickly so I went to my trust iBook and Apple Works as per usual. The iBook went weird, needed a battery. I downloaded Pages. At $20 I had nothing to lose but my time. I bought the MBA one week prior.

I was favorably impressed with the ease of using this new word processor. I expected more of a learning curve. Very intuitive. I was sold as I printed the document in time for my deadline.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Ok I just received my 2013 MBA, my first macbook ever. Now what can I do with it? What are some must have programs that I should download?
What are you looking to do with it? Must have is always highly subjective. I mean, for example, Citrix is a must have for me but probably not for you. Spell out your needs/wants and then find solutions -- not the other way 'round. Don't put the cart before the horse.

If you want a generic must have list there are always prior threads that you can refer to with blind recommendations.

Guppy51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Got some questions since I got so much help here on this thread. Have anyone heard of web freer? Is it a browser? I need it to access FB while I am in China and I can't seem to find it for Mac.

Also what programs do you guys use to watch videos and musics? What are some code pack that I should download for my Mac? and do most people only use ITunes here?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Also what programs do you guys use to watch videos and musics? What are some code pack that I should download for my Mac? and do most people only use ITunes here?

There are several players which come with their own codecs that are worth checking out, namely MPlayerX and VLC.

If you really need a codec pack to work with Quicktime and other applications then there is the discontinued Perian, and similarly there is also Flip4Mac which is used for Windows Media playback.

Personally nowadays I just use VLC and MPlayerX.

I use iTunes for my music as well as for all my ripped and converted DVD's which I can also playback on my AppleTV2.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Ok I just received my 2013 MBA, my first macbook ever. Now what can I do with it?"

Why, just use it a few days.

Then become a "Macintosh consultant"....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.