Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The western U.S. is having a heat wave for the record books.

It was 116 (Fahrenheit) in Phoenix yesterday and expected to go higher. The all-time record there is 122. Even heading up to Sedona won't help much; it's in the 110s there. Flying out of town has its own problems. Hot air reduces lift so planes have more trouble taking off in hot weather, although the major commercial jets can get off the ground in up to 126 degree temperatures.

It's 119 in Palm Springs and not even noon yet.

The hottest place on the planet is Death Valley here in California, where the all-time record was 134 degrees in July 1913. Here we are 100 years later and it's already 129 degrees there today. It could reach or pass 130 before we're done.

This is not a good week for illegal immigrants to cross the border from Mexico and try to make it through the desert. They'll be a lot safer if the border patrol catches them.

Hundreds of people had to be treated after overheating at a Las Vegas concert. The heat is also dangerous for seniors and pets. Don't walk Fido if the sidewalk is too hot to touch!

A lot of people along the coast will head for the beaches. We'll probably go somewhere air-conditioned to keep cool, like a mall or a movie theater.

The heat is expected to continue into next week. Americans in western states might not have to light their firecrackers on Independence Day. Just hold them in directly sunlight and they'll catch on fire!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
A friend and classmate of mine told me that the wind patterns are changing and will have a huge impact on regional climates. The midwest will have mild winters with cooler wetter summers, and the west coast will have much hotter summers. He learned all this in his weather forecasting class so I have no valid source to confirm or deny this. Take with a grain of salt.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
As I understand it, upper-level jet streams that normally travel in more or less of a straight line have begun to oscillate a lot recently, causing weather cells to remain stationary instead of breaking up or moving along.

Scientists don't know exactly what is causing this, but global climate change is the obvious suspect. Nor do they know what this portends for us, particularly whether it will get worse.

It's scary. Those science fiction movies we saw may be coming true.

More here.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
He learned all this in his weather forecasting class so I have no valid source to confirm or deny this. Take with a grain of salt.

and I thought they used a dart board to predict weather :D. Weather forecasting may be an inexact science but they still are unable to correctly forecast the weather even two days from now.

----------

It's 6° (metric, of course) here if anyone wants to visit... :D

I would. I like cold weather.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
It's 6° (metric, of course) here if anyone wants to visit... :D

Man I love the cold. That is why I live in Northern Canada. When it is hot, you can only do so much to get comfortable. At least when it is -20 Celsius you can dress till you are comfortable. Was unfortunately +30 Celsius today here and we are expecting more heat for next week or so.

Might take you up on you offer to visit. As you can probably tell, winter is my friend.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Today's highs:
  • Needles, California: 123 (hottest on record)
  • Phoenix: 119 (4th hottest on record)
  • Las Vegas: 115 (it was 115 yesterday too)
Three cities set records for the hottest June day ever:
  • San Antonio: 108
  • Houston: 107
  • Salt Lake City: 105

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This is another reason why I am glad to be out of California. I always find it funny when people complain about the heat in Georgia. Sure it gets uncomfortable out. But you never get the kind of heat that hits you like a sledgehammer making you immediately want to find shelter and causes you to start pouring sweat. Heat that even a brand new house and A/C can't keep up with.

That was only the wimpy heat of LA and Sacramento. I couldn't imagine Death Valley or Phoenix.

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
I know these are serious hot temperatures for weak lily livered americans but in the real world places like Baghdad have temperatures as high if not higher than these through out the summer. I think americans need to man up!:), BTW Baghdad is currently experiencing a cooler summer than usual but is still hotter than Phoenix!

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Weekend records:
  • Lancaster, California: 115, beating the all-time record from 1948.
  • Las Vegas: 117, tying the all-time record.
  • Death Valley: 119, tying the all-time U.S. record for June.
It was a mere 111 in Baghdad yesterday.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Man I love the cold. That is why I live in Northern Canada. When it is hot, you can only do so much to get comfortable. At least when it is -20 Celsius you can dress till you are comfortable. Was unfortunately +30 Celsius today here and we are expecting more heat for next week or so.

Might take you up on you offer to visit. As you can probably tell, winter is my friend.

Or as some would put it: a lazy fireman. :p ;)

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Lost me? Man been looking and thinking about your quote for past 10 minutes and am totally lost on it. Maybe a little prompt from you might help this old guy. Old Timers Disease.

Firedept -> Fireman // Fireman who doesn't like to work extinguishing wildfires -> Fireman who doesn't like hot weather. Nothing worth losing your sleep over, don't worry. :p

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Firedept -> Fireman // Fireman who doesn't like to work extinguishing wildfires -> Fireman who doesn't like hot weather. Nothing worth losing your sleep over, don't worry. :p

Never took it offensively. Pretty hard to offend this old guy. Just as hard thought fighting a fire in -30 celsius temperature as in the heat. Just with the heat you never get a break from it. Go into the heat then come back out to it.

Like I really feel for FF Jumpers. They work real hard and have to be at the top of their game to do it.

At least when I come out of a fire in the winter, the worst I have to worry about is frozen gear, which in most cases can be fixed. But really difficult to move in when frozen.

Appreciate the response back. Just was lost with brain fart and again no offense taken.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I always find it funny when people complain about the heat in Georgia. Sure it gets uncomfortable out. But you never get the kind of heat that hits you like a sledgehammer making you immediately want to find shelter and causes you to start pouring sweat.

The heat in GA doesn't bother me as much as the humidity. Every time we go back to visit, I remember why I like Seattle weather.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Yesterday (July 1, 2013) where I lived it peaked at miserable 42 °C. outside at 1736 hours PDT--and the air conditioner was NOT working well. It was really bad in the house.

Today (July 2, 2013), thanks to the breezes from the Sacramento River Delta kicking up and the air conditioner getting its refrigerant fully recharged, it's now down to 35.4 °C. outside and is vastly cooler in the house. :)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
This is another reason why I am glad to be out of California. I always find it funny when people complain about the heat in Georgia. Sure it gets uncomfortable out. But you never get the kind of heat that hits you like a sledgehammer making you immediately want to find shelter and causes you to start pouring sweat. Heat that even a brand new house and A/C can't keep up with.

That was only the wimpy heat of LA and Sacramento. I couldn't imagine Death Valley or Phoenix.

106 on Friday
110 on Saturday
104 on Sunday
106 on Monday
103 Today..

All in wimpy Sacramento. ;)

We get the dry heat here as well, especially when the high pressure sits in the Vegas/Phoenix valley. Add to that a wildfire between us and S. Lake Tahoe, and we're catching crappy air quality too. Excessive heat advisories have been in effect here since 6/27/13 and is expected to last until 7/6/13.

But I'm used to it. I moved to here from Las Vegas. :)

In the high desert's defense, compared to humid heat in my hometown of Omaha and where my relatives are in Oklahoma and Texas, at least you aren't going to get bit to death by gnats and mosquitos from 6pm until the following morning! :D

BL.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The city of Lancaster, California set an all-time record of 115 degrees, breaking the previous record by 5 degrees.

A guy named Jon Rice from heatrunning.com tried to set a record by running a mile in Death Valley wearing a Darth Vader costume. It's an annual event and here's the 2011 video:

He runs on the painted highway line. Otherwise his shoes could melt on the asphalt!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
106 on Friday
110 on Saturday
104 on Sunday
106 on Monday
103 Today..

All in wimpy Sacramento. ;)

We get the dry heat here as well, especially when the high pressure sits in the Vegas/Phoenix valley. Add to that a wildfire between us and S. Lake Tahoe, and we're catching crappy air quality too. Excessive heat advisories have been in effect here since 6/27/13 and is expected to last until 7/6/13.

But I'm used to it. I moved to here from Las Vegas. :)

In the high desert's defense, compared to humid heat in my hometown of Omaha and where my relatives are in Oklahoma and Texas, at least you aren't going to get bit to death by gnats and mosquitos from 6pm until the following morning! :D

BL.

That is wimpy compared to temperatures in the 120's or even 130's.:p

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Ha. Chicago has come around.

Days in the 80ies, nights in the 60ies. Absolutely perfect.

-t

Renzatic

Suspended

Not to sound too corny or trite here, but it's not the heat that gets to you in Georgia, it's the godawful humidity. The only thing worse than heat that hits you like a sledgehammer is heat that wraps around you like a sopping wet wool blanket and suffocates you with muggy hotness.

Though this hasn't been the case this year. Barring a couple of days, we've been having a fairly mild summer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.