Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This past weekend, Nowhereelse.fr shared photos of what could be the rear shell of Apple's rumored low-cost plastic iPhone in the colors green, red and yellow. While the site still acknowledges that the shells could be Chinese copies, certain features are still consistent with previous leaks and claims. Now the site shares [Google translation] a new photo that includes a blue rear plastic shell.

In mid-June, Reuters ran a report that stated that the low-cost iPhone would come in multiple bright colors, with Mac Otakara claiming that one of the colors would be blue. And while we have seen the possible shells for the green, red, yellow and white plastic iPhones we had not seen the blue one until now.

iPhone-Plastique-Couleurs-Photo.jpg
While the photo does not show the full exterior of the blue rear shell, it does show enough of the sides and the inside of the rear shell to imagine what a blue plastic iPhone could look like.

The blue shell is pictured alongside red, yellow, and green ones seen over the weekend, with a white shell also included. The white shell appears very similar to one leaked through a different source back in April.

The lower-cost plastic iPhone is likely to launch later this year in either September or October, presumably alongside Apple's flagship iPhone 5S. The plastic iPhone will offer consumers a more affordable iPhone choice, especially in markets where carrier subsidies are rare.

Yesterday, MacRumors published high-resolution mockups based on the previously leaked rear shell photos and other information, offering a look at the complete device's potential size, shape and texture.

Article Link: Possible Photo of Lower-Cost Plastic iPhone Rear Shells Shows New Blue Color

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Hmm...lack of FCC info is interesting. I thought late stage prototypes usually had the FCC info on the shell with a series of xxxxx where the actual IDs should be. The lack of this makes me skeptical of this leak and lead toward Chinese knockoffs.

dankedieter

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Munich, Germany
I really dont know what the big deal is? The first iPhone was plastic!
You're thinking of the 3g. I have the original right here in front of me, polished steel bezel and three quarter aluminum back with the lower part black plastic for antenna transparency.

I'm not especially excited about this since plastic just doesn't have the crafted feel of metal, though the antennas might end up working better/no more antenna-gate.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'd like to see a really nice looking red one. The one depicted here is a bit too bright. Plus I don't think I'd want a red plastic one.

Regardless, it's nice to see the possibility of a variety of colors becoming available.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
What would the naming be then?

Low cost iphone = iphone
Iphone 5s = the new iphone / iphone pro :D

Cause obviously apple would drop the numbering when this one comes out, just like the ipad.

Edit :

It will just all be iPhone, I think. Like the iPod Touch Line. This low-cost iPhone will just be a lower storage capacity probably.

come to think of it, yeah you are probably right.

the low cost colourful iphone only available in 16 GB = the cheap one
and the flagship iphone could start from 32 GB. I'm speculating with the pricing here, so it could be :

16 GB colorful iphone = $499 (no contract)
32 GB flagship iphone = $699 (no contract)
64 GB flagship iphone = $799 (no contract)
128 GB flagship iphone = $899 (no contract)

Last edited:

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
This makes your front page, but you push Apple being sued for anti-competitive practices to the iOS Blog?

Get it together guys.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
these are for 3rd world countries to take on Nokia and Motorola right?

why would americans buy these? Just get an iphone 4s or 5 or 5s and throw a sleek colored case on it if you want color..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.