Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millypede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
UK
Silly question but I want to plug my elecro-accustic in to create a real sounding Banjo via the Real instrument section.
I have looked at the jam packs and inside the program and have yet to find one, any help would be great.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Unclear on the concept....

If you plug your guitar in through and audio input, you cannot control software instuments from it. Real Instuments will simply record the sound of your guitar.

You would either need a guitar with a hex pickup and a MIDI interface, or you would be looking for some kind of physical-modelling effects box that would take the audio from the guitar and severely modify it to resemble a banjo.

You might, just maybe, sorta get something that sounds a bit like a banjo by using and envelope follower effect with some major filtering, but that would be for single note lines only.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
millypede said:
Silly question but I want to plug my elecro-accustic in to create a real sounding Banjo via the Real instrument section.
I have looked at the jam packs and inside the program and have yet to find one, any help would be great.

You'll need some kind of Midi guitar device. Do they even make those? I know they make midi keyboards, and my friend used to have a midi sax..

Good luck

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I imagine doing this would be quite complicated, expensive, and produce less than satisfactory results. Frankly you're best bet is an actual banjo, which if you havent tried before, is pretty difficult to play IMO (comming from guitar player).

Ringo

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
Quebec
The least coastly way is to buy a Banjo and put a pickup on it. But youll actually have to learn to play banjo witch is quite different than guitar...

Or The only things that could sound as close as possible as a banjo would be :

first choice : Line6 Variax acoustic 700 ( linkey ) or Second choice : A midi equiped guitar (it need to be a solid body thought) and a device like a GR-33 (link ) (dont buy actually... it's good but soon to be replace in 2006) or VG-88 (link ) either way is will be costly to have somthin that sound good

Btw Godin make good guitar that got Synth acess built-in and that is non-aparent on the guitar ( link )

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Jay42 said:
Frankly you're best bet is an actual banjo, which if you havent tried before, is pretty difficult to play IMO (comming from guitar player).

You must have a listen to Harry Manx and what he does with a six string banjo. The Gist Of Madhuvanti/The Thrill Is Gone from his 'Road Ragas' Album.

millypede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
UK
dogbone said:
You must have a listen to Harry Manx and what he does with a six string banjo. The Gist Of Madhuvanti/The Thrill Is Gone from his 'Road Ragas' Album.

Sorry I dont think I made myself very clear.

I want to expand the Real Instruments panel to include a Banjo sound amp. So I can play my guitar into my mac and it sounds like a Banjo.
Make sense?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.