Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After introducing iWork for iCloud during its Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple began sending beta invites for the service to registered developers on June 13.

Since then, Apple has continued to send out beta invites on a rolling basis to both paid and free developer accounts. It appears the company has sent out a large batch of invites today, inviting a number of new people to participate in the beta.

iworkforicloudbeta.jpg
iWork for iCloud offers in-browser versions of Apple's iWork software suite, including Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. The software can be accessed from both PC and Mac computers as well as a number of mobile devices.

Developers with both free and paid accounts that have received an email from Apple can access the beta by visiting beta.icloud.com. iWork for iCloud is expected to be released to the public later this year.

Update: Some reports today indicated that the iWork for iCloud beta had been extended to non-developers. The Next Web contacted Apple, and the company confirmed that reports of beta access for non-developers were inaccurate.

Article Link: Apple Continues Rolling Out iWork for iCloud Beta Invites

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Still not totally getting this for some reason....not quite sure of its success.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Somehow bad timing ;-)

In Europe, any cloud will be a flop. You know: We are very afraid of your NSA organization.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Is iWork for iCloud supposed to actually be an upgrade from iWork 09, or just a new, web-based alternative?

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Screenshots:

NOOOOOO!!!!! I'm stuck at Safari 5 :(
Screen%20shot%202013-07-03%20at%203.29.45%20PM.png

It seems to work anyway. Looks pretty good.
Screen%20shot%202013-07-03%20at%203.30.00%20PM.png

(Edited because I asked why it doesn't work in other browsers, but people replied saying that others are supported.)

Last edited:

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Is iWork for iCloud supposed to actually be an upgrade from iWork 09, or just a new, web-based alternative?

During the keynote, they talked about a new version of iWork later this year AND iWork for iCloud.

So i guess there's a chance we'll see iWork '13 and iWork for iCloud later this year.

On the other hand, they could have meant an upgrade to iWork 09 to make use of iWork for iCloud.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I am an iWork power user, especially pages.

Until the iOS apps have full compatibility, especially with page layout, sections, and landscape modes, I have no real use for this.

A document should be able to open on any device without the need to copy it and then change the formatting.

Also much more excited about an updated Mac app, although I fear the features I stated above will be gutted out of it in order to make all the apps more symmetrical.

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Screenshots:

NOOOOOO!!!!! Not only is this annoying for me, but shouldn't this work on all browsers? I know some people still use Chrome or Firefox, and there's no latest Safari for Windows.

Seems to work fine here on Chrome. I think the officially supported browsers are the latest Chrome, Safari and IE.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Screenshots:

NOOOOOO!!!!! Not only is this annoying for me, but shouldn't this work on all browsers? I know some people still use Chrome or Firefox, and there's no latest Safari for Windows.

Well don't use I.E. or Chrome....or Windows for that matter. Works perfectly here on my Mac. :D

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
While you do have to be a registered developer, you don't have to be on their payed tiers. A free developer account would do! :apple:

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
During the keynote, they talked about a new version of iWork later this year AND iWork for iCloud.

So i guess there's a chance we'll see iWork '13 and iWork for iCloud later this year.

On the other hand, they could have meant an upgrade to iWork 09 to make use of iWork for iCloud.

Only time will tell. I would like to see some updating & upgrading of Numbers with not as much work needing to be done to Pages & KeyNote. For my use Numbers is still a joke. I try to use it for small spreadsheets but it even fails there also.

Like you some of the time Apple seems to talk of new versions, but not info was given on them as the KeyNote address only talked about the all new iCloud/browser part of the update. So which one will we actually see, I am not sure. Apple has been disappointing me more now than they ever have. But I always have hope.

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
Received invite earlier, caught me off guard. Just trying it out now.

I may have signed up for a free developer account a looong time ago. Who knows.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
It's too late. Already made the move to gDrive and gDocs. And unless Apple is going to make this work on non-iOS devices, there's no going back.

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
Anyone have any ideas on how it works when you have your iCloud (me.com) account for backups, email and find my iPhone, and another apple account (outlook.com) for purchases, storing documents ETC?

robertnq

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
San Francisco
Screenshots:

I'm at work and couldn't get it to run on IE but Chrome worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.