Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I'll start by saying that the main primary use for the camera I get will probably be simple local photos for people (prolly not requiring big setups and photo rigs) photo/video event coverage(again not requiring lighting) and personal use/learning. Maybe weddings, which people don't seem to mind flash at, so maybe ill scoop one of those if it ever comes up. Event video coverage will prolly be made into montages like these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEOm_G58NY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy40vqsxiWI

I've researching has narrowed it down to a few options, but still a lil confused on what to get. I should start by saying that i've only done video editing for the last 2 years, but would like to start getting into the hardware side of things now. My end goal is to snag a Canon 5D Mark III, but since im starting out and still learning, i've narrowed my options for a first camera down to the Canon T4I, 7D, 6D, or Mark II.

T4I would obviously just be a great introduction camera. Some nice features for a cheaper entry level, as well as a great 9 point cross AF system from what I hear.

7D is a nice, snappy camera, with a built in flash altho I hear not too reliable. I read the 19 point AF system is really quick and easy as well, but the downside to this would be it's lack of ability to stay clean and not get all grainy with high ISO.

6D seems like a nicer version of a Mark II, and I hear is great except for the AF system which seems to be a pain in low light situations.

5D Mark II just seems like an older, more expensive 6D...is this correct?

I've been learning alot about cameras and features over the past few days, but any help with this would be much appreciated. Except for the price, I think the 6D is prolly the best suited for what I wanna do, with the exception of the annoying AF system that seems to be brought up frequently. Am I putting too much emphasis on auto focusing in my search for the right camera?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Canon 70D, if you're interested in video - it's supposed to have excellent autofocus in live view / video mode.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I think the 6D is prolly the best suited for what I wanna do, with the exception of the annoying AF system that seems to be brought up frequently. Am I putting too much emphasis on auto focusing in my search for the right camera?

I've not had any problems with the 6D A/F it's much better than the 5D MkII (which I sold to fund the 6d). 7D focus is much better than all - but can be complex to setup (though for most situations it's fine).

Are you putting too much emphasis on A/F, probably but that's the problem with internet research - too many people spend time just testing cameras, picking faults etc rather than using them. I'm not too sure if the 6D is a great starter camera, for me it's fine as I have a decent collection to EF lenses and other EOS accessories. As mentioned above the new 70D might be one to consider.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Canon 70D, if you're interested in video - it's supposed to have excellent autofocus in live view / video mode.

I've not had any problems with the 6D A/F it's much better than the 5D MkII (which I sold to fund the 6d). 7D focus is much better than all - but can be complex to setup (though for most situations it's fine).

Are you putting too much emphasis on A/F, probably but that's the problem with internet research - too many people spend time just testing cameras, picking faults etc rather than using them. I'm not too sure if the 6D is a great starter camera, for me it's fine as I have a decent collection to EF lenses and other EOS accessories. As mentioned above the new 70D might be one to consider.

Well like I said im still extremely new to the hardware side of things, so until I purchase one im just going off as many reviews/youtube test videos as I can find.
Don't even really know if AF is the preferred method of doin things or if the camera community would rather do everything manual for most stuff. Kinda like turntables vs midi tho, im sure its all a matter of opinion, generation of people, etc. Some people like to use tech to their advantage, others want total control im sure.
I will definitely look into the 70D as well tho, ty for the recommendation:)

I figured maybe, since the 5DM3 is my end goal, that having a starter camera like the 7D or T4I with more focus points would be a better way to go, but people seem to recommend the 6D since its more in the family tree of the 5D.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
6D seems like a nicer version of a Mark II, and I hear is great except for the AF system which seems to be a pain in low light situations.

Not sure where you heard that from. The center cross-type point on the 6D shines. Additionally the 6D produces better low light than than any other Canon you listed. You seem to be all hung up on focus points when there is a lot more to a DSLR than focus points.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Well like I said im still extremely new to the hardware side of things, so until I purchase one im just going off as many reviews/youtube test videos as I can find.
Don't even really know if AF is the preferred method of doin things or if the camera community would rather do everything manual for most stuff. Kinda like turntables vs midi tho, im sure its all a matter of opinion, generation of people, etc. Some people like to use tech to their advantage, others want total control im sure.
I will definitely look into the 70D as well tho, ty for the recommendation:)

I figured maybe, since the 5DM3 is my end goal, that having a starter camera like the 7D or T4I with more focus points would be a better way to go, but people seem to recommend the 6D since its more in the family tree of the 5D.

I can't think of anything that looks worse than letting autofocus run in video. If the focus changed in video it is called a "special effect" and is likely done manually.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Not sure where you heard that from. The center cross-type point on the 6D shines. Additionally the 6D produces better low light than than any other Canon you listed. You seem to be all hung up on focus points when there is a lot more to a DSLR than focus points.

I've heard a few places that the center point is amazing, but in low light situations the AF is slow and the images aren't focused well, here's one of the vids of someone bringing it up. Basically center is god and anywhere off the center is super sketchy http://youtu.be/0-lRkFQBlsQ?t=10m32s

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've heard a few places that the center point is amazing, but in low light situations the AF is slow and the images aren't focused well, here's one of the vids of someone bringing it up. http://youtu.be/0-lRkFQBlsQ?t=10m32s

It would be best if you lurked on an actual photography site. A good one to start with is Digital Photography Review.

His problem would be easily solved by recomposing and he even said that what he did is not a real life scenario. From the features you are listing on all of the cameras it is apparent that you are considering the focus points to be more important than the other features of a DSLR.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
It would be best if you lurked on an actual photography site. A good one to start with is Digital Photography Review.

His problem would be easily solved by recomposing and he even said that what he did is not a real life scenario. From the features you are listing on all of the cameras it is apparent that you are considering the focus points to be more important than the other features of a DSLR.

Prolly putting so much emphasis on it cuz I'm not to familiar with how that works. Handling high ISO without graining is prolly my top concern, because I will prolly be working lots either in darker places, or at night, and I dont like flash. Might have one but not at first, id rather crank high ISO.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you know you want to do this, then don't waste time and money on a body that you already know you will replace. Get a refurbed 5DIII from Canon USA. Find a used Canon body to trade in for an extra 15% off. I got the wife one and traded in a 30 year old SLR.

Also look at the refurbed L lenses for great bargains. Most of our glass is refurbed L units.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm really surprised to be the first one to state the obvious, but I think you have the whole thing backwards: you focus on a body instead of lenses -- which is what you should be doing. A T4i with a very good lens will always beat a 5D Mark whatever with a mediocre lens. Even among the bodies, the only thing you seem to have decided for reasons that are beyond me that you want a Canon, and that you're fine with almost any camera in their line-up, starting from the amateur-level T4i to a pro body 5D Mark III.

Instead of thinking which body to get and completely forgetting about lenses, you should set yourself a budget and focus your budget on lenses first. Lenses last an eternity, the oldest perfectly working lens in my bag is over 20 years old! Bodies don't nearly last that long. And you can usually sell lenses at a minimal loss (unless you ding them, of course). Get a cheaper body such as the 60D and lots of good glass (I'd definitely get a 17-55 mm f/2.8 lens). And at least one external flash. Learn the ropes and learn what limits you when you use the camera. That'll take at least a year if you start from zero. And honestly, even serious amateur-level camera offer what pro bodies did a few years ago in terms of fps and high ISO capabilities. You also don't need a full frame camera to start with. And you also should not avoid lenses made for APS-C dslrs such as the 17-55 mm f/2.8 or one of the UW zooms, you can always sell them at minimal loss.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I'm really surprised to be the first one to state the obvious, but I think you have the whole thing backwards: you focus on a body instead of lenses -- which is what you should be doing. A T4i with a very good lens will always beat a 5D Mark whatever with a mediocre lens. Even among the bodies, the only thing you seem to have decided for reasons that are beyond me that you want a Canon, and that you're fine with almost any camera in their line-up, starting from the amateur-level T4i to a pro body 5D Mark III.

Instead of thinking which body to get and completely forgetting about lenses, you should set yourself a budget and focus your budget on lenses first. Lenses last an eternity, the oldest perfectly working lens in my bag is over 20 years old! Bodies don't nearly last that long. And you can usually sell lenses at a minimal loss (unless you ding them, of course). Get a cheaper body such as the 60D and lots of good glass (I'd definitely get a 17-55 mm f/2.8 lens). And at least one external flash. Learn the ropes and learn what limits you when you use the camera. That'll take at least a year if you start from zero. And honestly, even serious amateur-level camera offer what pro bodies did a few years ago in terms of fps and high ISO capabilities. You also don't need a full frame camera to start with. And you also should not avoid lenses made for APS-C dslrs such as the 17-55 mm f/2.8 or one of the UW zooms, you can always sell them at minimal loss.

Why does everything I read say that 6D handles extremely high ISOs well, or 7D looks horrible above 4000 ISO. It would explain why every video on that Digital Rev channel uses that on each camera they review tho;) Definitely haven't been studying the lenses as much as the bodies but I will definitely start looking at those as well.

Last edited:

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Canon just introduced the 70D and it uses a dual pixel auto focus. Might want to look at that one as it's the latest and greatest in that part of the Canon line up.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Why does everything I read say that 6D handles extremely high ISOs well, or 7D looks horrible above 4000 ISO. It would explain why every video on that Digital Rev channel uses that on each camera they review tho;) Definitely haven't been studying the lenses as much as the bodies but I will definitely start looking at those as well.
If you use a faster lens on a 7D, you don't have to use ISO 3,200. E. g. you could use Sigma's new 30 mm f/1.4 prime. Incidentally, such a lens would give you a lot more artistic freedom as well, e. g. when balancing your flash against background light. Moreover, the 7D's sensor is a generation old, you should be comparing the 6D to the 70D since they have sensors of the same generation.

You're just a beginner, you should take it slowly. Not only are crop bodies cheaper and lighter, the same holds for decent crop lenses, too. Always keep in mind that full frame bodies like the 6D or 5D Mark 3 need a lot more expensive glass to really shine. The optically excellent 60 mm f/2 macro lens from Tamron (which is also a good portrait lens) costs roughly half of what you have to pay for Canon's 100 mm f/2.8 macro. Also the bread & butter zoom (17-55 mm f/2.8) costs about half of a 24-70 mm f/2.8.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Why does everything I read say that 6D handles extremely high ISOs well, or 7D looks horrible above 4000 ISO.

Honestly, there's such a lot of nonsense written about that stuff. If you're magnifying the images and viewing them at 100% on a monitor then you'll certainly see a lot of graininess, but I don't think anybody actually does that in the real world. Once you've printed the picture, nobody would be able to tell what type of camera you used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.