Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
I've searched threw few forums, but without definite answer,

Please list some of WORKING usb BT dongles. I need to extend my range i will connect the dongle to usb>ethernet>usb extension and run it threw different room like 15 meters far. On one end mac mini on the another end USB BT DONGLE.

Any ideas ? I've heard that D-Link DBT-120 is good, any other suggestions ? anything more powerful ? it will be used for mac bt keyboard and mouse.

setup : Macmini 6.2, Intel Core i7 (2.30GHz), Mac OS X version 10.8.2 - 64-bit

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I cannot confirm it works but the ORICO BTA-402 that is common on ebay is for a Mac. I was looking to get it when I had BT troubles but I fixed it so I never got the adapter.

It's BT4.0 with 20m distance and USB2.0.

All the pics you see of it it is plugged into a MacBook.

It is fairly cheap so the risk of it not working would not be too costly.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
seems that the dongle is connected to an mac computer but original manufacturer states its windows only.

i might give it a try anyway.
Thanks for the tip.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
seems that the dongle is connected to an mac computer but original manufacturer states its windows only.

i might give it a try anyway.
Thanks for the tip.

Manufacturers often say things like that to cover their bases. They may have only made drivers for windows but OSX may recognize a piece of hardware and run it perfectly fine.

geeji

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
You should aim at USB 2.0 Bluetooth dongles using Broadcom BCM2045/2046/2046B1 chips, since they were the ones directly supported by Apple OS X drivers.
The problem is that it is not always specified what chip is used within a dongle, and that those chips have been superseded by more recent versions.
This Trust 15542 dongle used to work fine on Macs, but unfortunately it is not sold anymore. Don't know if newer versions are compatible too.
Once connected to the Mac, using System Informations / Hardware / USB will give you the chip inside the dongle.
Dongles with other chips may or may not work properly, especially regarding sleep/waking up.
This URL may be useful too.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
F8T017 Bluetooth Adapter works on Mac's.

I used one on my efi-x rig and was able to hook the Apple Trackpad up no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.