Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leia1912

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Greetings, all,

I have been reading the many, many storage questions on MR (spent all yesterday doing research) and I'm still pretty confused. Could you please give me some thoughts on my set-up?

My set-up: I have a 500 gig MBP that I use on a WiFi network (w/Airport, fourth generation), and back up via Time Machine to a 2 TB LaCie external hard drive.

Problem: MBP is running out of room, thanks in part to my iTunes library (80 gig) and my developing photography habit (150 gig). For the record, I'm not rich, so I need to be careful about my expenditures.

Goal: I need to expand my storage, make it easily accessible when I'm in my house (I don't want to be locked to my desk), and have a back-up plan for it in place--and do it at the most reasonable cost.

Proposed solutions:

1.) Upgrade HD of MBP, upgrade back-up drive to make sure it has room for new Time Machine back-ups, carry on as usual. Issue: I'm a bit nervous about this and it would look like two costs--the HD, and making sure the new back-up drive can fit the new HD's size.

2.) External USB on AirPort, back-up to online storage system. (This may be insanely time consuming, though. I tried CrashPlan once and after a month, it had about 15% of the drive. My WiFi speed *shouldn't* be slow--Airport signals my connections to the base station and my Airport Express are both good, but it's just an FYI. The Airport looks like it has a USB 2.0 on it, as best I can tell from my online research.)

3.) A Firewire drive I attach to my computer periodically. Still have to go digging it out whenever necessary, which would either discourage use of it or root me at my desk. :(

4.) I see the NAS system described here as well, and I'm not sure about those--it seems like you aren't treating them as a separate drive, but as a unique OS system on your network.

Can anybody chime in and give me a few thoughts? I'd really appreciate it.

Leia1912

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Greetings, all,

I have been reading the many, many storage questions on MR (spent all yesterday doing research) and I'm still pretty confused. Could you please give me some thoughts on my set-up?

My set-up: I have a 500 gig MBP that I use on a WiFi network (w/Airport, fourth generation), and back up via Time Machine to a 2 TB LaCie external hard drive.

Problem: MBP is running out of room, thanks in part to my iTunes library (80 gig) and my developing photography habit (150 gig). For the record, I'm not rich, so I need to be careful about my expenditures.

Goal: I need to expand my storage, make it easily accessible when I'm in my house (I don't want to be locked to my desk), and have a back-up plan for it in place--and do it at the most reasonable cost.

Proposed solutions:

1.) Upgrade HD of MBP, upgrade back-up drive to make sure it has room for new Time Machine back-ups, carry on as usual. Issue: I'm a bit nervous about this and it would look like two costs--the HD, and making sure the new back-up drive can fit the new HD's size.

2.) External USB on AirPort, back-up to online storage system. (This may be insanely time consuming, though. I tried CrashPlan once and after a month, it had about 15% of the drive. My WiFi speed *shouldn't* be slow--Airport signals my connections to the base station and my Airport Express are both good, but it's just an FYI. The Airport looks like it has a USB 2.0 on it, as best I can tell from my online research.)

3.) A Firewire drive I attach to my computer periodically. Still have to go digging it out whenever necessary, which would either discourage use of it or root me at my desk. :(

4.) I see the NAS system described here as well, and I'm not sure about those--it seems like you aren't treating them as a separate drive, but as a unique OS system on your network.

Can anybody chime in and give me a few thoughts? I'd really appreciate it.

Leia1912

The NAS that many people talk about an seem like that but there are other network drives that are easier to set up. Western Digital has a MyBook Live external drive connected via ethernet to the router that you can share your info with any device on your network. You could also get a second one of those and use that as a backup of the first and they would both plug into the router(of course this is assuming you have enough free ports available.

They can run up to $180 for a 3TB drive though and not knowing your budget makes my recommendations limited.

Leia1912

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
The NAS that many people talk about an seem like that but there are other network drives that are easier to set up. Western Digital has a MyBook Live external drive connected via ethernet to the router that you can share your info with any device on your network. You could also get a second one of those and use that as a backup of the first and they would both plug into the router(of course this is assuming you have enough free ports available.

They can run up to $180 for a 3TB drive though and not knowing your budget makes my recommendations limited.

Thank you for your feedback! My budget goes up to $500, so this is definitely a strong possibility!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Is this the 13 or 15 inch model with the SD card or a 17 inch with the wider Express/34 slot on the left side? If its the later, you can get Express34 cards that give you eSATA ports. That will let you connect an external hard drive that runs at about the same speed as the internal. Faster than FireWire. I have an '08 with this setup and the Express card hooks up to a two drive dock holding a server backup drive and my Aperture backup. The whole thing cost under $300. But you have to have that Express34 slot and only the 17 had it.

Note: I went pretty much hog wild on this drive upgrade issue and put an ssd in the old hd bay and replaced the DVD drive with a 750 gig hd. With the apps on the ssd and the data storage on the hd it's like I bought a new computer.
Dale

Leia1912

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Is this the 13 or 15 inch model with the SD card or a 17 inch with the wider Express/34 slot on the left side? If its the later, you can get Express34 cards that give you eSATA ports. That will let you connect an external hard drive that runs at about the same speed as the internal. Faster than FireWire. I have an '08 with this setup and the Express card hooks up to a two drive dock holding a server backup drive and my Aperture backup. The whole thing cost under $300. But you have to have that Express34 slot and only the 17 had it.

Note: I went pretty much hog wild on this drive upgrade issue and put an ssd in the old hd bay and replaced the DVD drive with a 750 gig hd. With the apps on the ssd and the data storage on the hd it's like I bought a new computer.
Dale

That's an intriguing set-up! Mine is a 15 inch with the SD card port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.