Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlosribas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Hello,

We have an old Access Point that we want to replace. AirPort Extreme is a good solution to connect about 10 users on the internet or should I use cisco/tp-link/whatever for better connection?

Thanks.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Hello,

We have an old Access Point that we want to replace. AirPort Extreme is a good solution to connect about 10 users on the internet or should I use cisco/tp-link/whatever for better connection?

Thanks.

I would recommend AirPort Extreme if you don't typically used advanced features that other routers have. The Airport is very easy to setup and works great.

carlosribas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I would recommend AirPort Extreme if you don't typically used advanced features that other routers have. The Airport is very easy to setup and works great.

I dont use advanced features. My only doubt is about the performance. Maybe I can find better devices with similar prices?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Our Airport Extreme has been working find for 3 years now with 8 "clients" plus occasional guests. 2400 sq ft house on a single floor and signal accessible anywhere on our 1/4 acre property. Never required rebooting.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I dont use advanced features. My only doubt is about the performance. Maybe I can find better devices with similar prices?

I don't think performance is an issue. If anything, I find performance with the airport extreme better than it's competitors.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006

An Airport Extreme would be a great option for you. They're perfect if what you want is an access point you don't need to manage, which I would argue is pretty much everyone.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hello, We have an old Access Point that we want to replace. AirPort Extreme is a good solution to connect about 10 users on the internet or should I use cisco/tp-link/whatever for better connection? Thanks.

Can't comment on the Cisco, but APPLE's AE is a pretty reliable piece of equipment, and a breeze to set-up, although not the least expensive of routers out there. I'd say read some reviews and customer feedback, and then decide.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
AE is fine as a basic access point, and if you have a cable modem it works ok. I have run into problems setting DHCP/DNS on Mac Servers that are running as mail and file servers, as the AE is not configurable enough in these circumstances, leading me to have to setup DNS in a less than ideal fashion.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
For a reliable setup with minimum hassles, the AirPort Extreme is a great option, while also delivering highly competitive performance ang great reliability. I prefer other models for more advanced features, but the AE is a great option for most users.

carlosribas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Our Airport Extreme has been working find for 3 years now with 8 "clients" plus occasional guests. 2400 sq ft house on a single floor and signal accessible anywhere on our 1/4 acre property. Never required rebooting.

So, I think I can use it. Thanks for all the replies.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I use to use 2 or 3 D-Link routers, a Netgear, and a Linksys at various times over the years before I got an Apple Airport Extreme 2.5 years ago, and the online times that I have had to reboot the AEBS was when I swapped cable modems when I had Comcast, switched from Comcast to AT&T U-verse, and then moved the cable modem from my old office room into the laundry room. The D-Link that I used last before swapping would require a reboot about once every 1-2 months regularly. The others have various range, reliability, and performance issues. The AEBS doesn't have as many advanced features as some of the others out in the market and won't win many head-to-head benchmarks, but it is definitely a reliable and well-performing solution to most people's needs at home.

carlosribas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I use to use 2 or 3 D-Link routers, a Netgear, and a Linksys at various times over the years before I got an Apple Airport Extreme 2.5 years ago, and the online times that I have had to reboot the AEBS was when I swapped cable modems when I had Comcast, switched from Comcast to AT&T U-verse, and then moved the cable modem from my old office room into the laundry room. The D-Link that I used last before swapping would require a reboot about once every 1-2 months regularly. The others have various range, reliability, and performance issues. The AEBS doesn't have as many advanced features as some of the others out in the market and won't win many head-to-head benchmarks, but it is definitely a reliable and well-performing solution to most people's needs at home.

You are right. I am sure it is a good solution to use at home, since few people will be connect, but I did not let clear that I will use the AE in a university. I am estimating from 10 to 15 users per AE. That's why I am asking for people's opinion.

I also had problems with D-Link and Netgear, so no way to use this kind of AP.

Thanks!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Of all the brands I have setup I have found the AE to consistently be the most reliable router on the market. Once they are configured they just keep working. Unless you are going to go the full Cisco route the AE is the best consumer grade equipment out there.

By full Cisco route. I don't mean the rebranded Linksys or Cisco small business junk. I'm talking about the $1,000+ enterprise grade equipment.

As for these Airport Extremes I assume you will simply be using them in bridge mode as access points. With a much higher end router actually managing network traffic. As that router would be dealing with the sum of users connecting to the Airport Extremes. Unless each will just be it's own network with it's own internet connection.

Djtrackie

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Hello,

Thanks.

I don't own one, and I'm a big apple fan. However let me tell u why I don't own one, the apple AirPort Extreme doesn't support qos functions which I need for my VoIP/ooma, to ensure quality connections for priority devices. Something u might think about of u decide to go VoIP in the future

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have used various wifi routers over the years including two incarnations of the Airport Extreme. I have one stored in a box for testing purposes only and the other I gave to a friend to get started with wifi.

It would be wise to check out a site like smallnetbuilder which covers plenty of routes, NAS, and more. They have ratings, tests with results and conclusions on various routers that might be ideal for your needs.

As for me, I found that a middle of the line router with 7 Ethernet ports actually did far better than the AE in general. I can say that using two AE in bridge mode works reasonably well.

There are various tweaks that can be used with most routers and the AE is no exception. Then again, there are some obvious blunders and blocks with many makers and their firmwares that prevent truly optimizing your system for max in/out-put.

So in short, hope over to smallnetbuilder and if anything, it might give you some things to look out for and some how to fix information.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
but I did not let clear that I will use the AE in a university. I am estimating from 10 to 15 users per AE. That's why I am asking for people's opinion.

What's the scenario, exactly?

My university (~22k students, 5k fac) uses Cisco Aironet APs throughout all residence halls and in campus buildings. These are wired to switches in each building, and are centrally managed through software. We recently got the residence halls professionally surveyed to optimize wireless coverage.

I just bought an Apple Extreme for home use and really like it, but I absolutely would not recommend a consumer-grade access point for an enterprise use.

afferennen

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Airport Extreme

The Airport Extreme is the best router I have come across. We use it at our church building where 30-50 devices will join it without a hiccup. It's an incredibly stable piece of engineering, minimal setup.

The new Extreme extends the range farther than I even anticipated.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm still using a 2nd generation AEBS and it's been rock solid since day one. Even with the new AC version that was recently released, I have no need to upgrade as of yet.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
It is possible to set up some sort of wireless "mesh" using Airport Extremes, but if you are installing more than a couple in a university or business setting, you want to go with something else, such as Cisco or something else with software to manage all of the AP's. I'm starting to like Motorola, since they seem to offer better products for the money than Cisco these days. If only corporate would let us get the Motorola "keg" for the test track and car yard...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Hello,

Thanks.

Depending on the Cisco model, you might get better range, but the Airport Extreme is a solid choice in my book. I've used three in a rather bizarre house built with steel studs, and some other exotic materials, and they just work. I had a few of the Airport Express blow a capacitor, usually just out of warranty. I don't think they were meant to run 24x7x365.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
It was better than the Linksys I had and has a friendlier UI. I did wish it had another ethernet port at first, now almost everything on my network is wireless. Nevertheless, I sold it for the cleaner setup and OTA backup capability of the Time Capsule.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I definitely recommend the Airport Routers.

At my office I have a 4th gen AEBS handling the main routing duties, connected to a 24 port gigabit switch with a 2nd AEBS on the opposite side of the office to help with the WiFi signal.

I have all 24 ports of the gigabit switch being used as well as 6 iPad Mini's, 4 iPads, 5 iPhones, 6 WiFi Macs and my connections and speed have been just great.
Also I have yet to do a forced restart on the router, only times I've restarted were after configuration or software updates since 2009 when I installed the AEBS's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.