Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I'm sorry to say that I think I have a dead pixel in the center of my 12" PB screen. I got it in January right after they came out, and I see tonight that it is sticking out in front of me. Now I have seen these before, or stuck ones on other computers, but is it normal for one to just poop out?

Also, would Apple do anything for me on this? I know the machine is under warranty but I'm in Grand Forks, ND (4 hours from nearest Apple store). I'm disappointed because my perfect screen now has an obvious flaw in it. One bonus is the small pixel size. On a 15" at 1024x768 (what I use at work) the stuck red pixel is much more noticable.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Superdrive said:
I'm sorry to say that I think I have a dead pixel in the center of my 12" PB screen. I got it in January right after they came out, and I see tonight that it is sticking out in front of me. Now I have seen these before, or stuck ones on other computers, but is it normal for one to just poop out?

Also, would Apple do anything for me on this? I know the machine is under warranty but I'm in Grand Forks, ND (4 hours from nearest Apple store). I'm disappointed because my perfect screen now has an obvious flaw in it. One bonus is the small pixel size. On a 15" at 1024x768 (what I use at work) the stuck red pixel is much more noticable.

If you have a dead pixel, try and take a eraser to it and gently massage it.
I've heard of Itasor's pixel murder. I can't find it right now though. But a lot of people say it works. I'll get back to you if I find it.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
lilstewart92 said:
If you have a dead pixel, try and take a eraser to it and gently massage it.
I've heard of Itasor's pixel murder. I can't find it right now though. But a lot of people say it works. I'll get back to you if I find it.

DO NOT USE AN ERASER. It leaves this hard to notice smear stuff that you will spend years trying to get off.

http://itasor.com/pixelmurder.MP4 <-Right/Control Click and save as. Shrink to about 1.5" and run it in loop (in Quick Time) over night under the pixel which has the problem.

Make sure your screen is not set to sleep. And I don't take any blame if anything bad happens, consider that a disclaimer.

And it's not my pixelmurder, it for PSP's, I named it pixelmurder, resaved it, recommended it, and because famous all over the place for it. :eek:

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Thanks, got the file and I'm running it. Any reason this works? and is called pixelMURDER? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone dealt with Apple on this end before?

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Superdrive said:
Thanks, got the file and I'm running it. Any reason this works? and is called pixelMURDER? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone dealt with Apple on this end before?

Just to clarify, that won't do anything for a dead pixel (one that is black and not doing anything), it will only work for stuck pixels; and even them it only works sometimes.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Superdrive said:
Well hopefully Apple can do something if this utility doesnt.

Apple doesn't have a zero dead pixel policy, so your chances of having them fix it are pretty much zero. Thats unless the manager is really nice at your local store; as they can replace the display with any faults at their own discretion... with that said, they do NOT have to replace it as theres no policy in place forcing them to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.