Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Looks as though I was beat to the punch...you're wrong. CS6 works well on the MBA, just fine. I use CS6---PS, Premier, Prelude and even play with After Effects and In Design often. Photoshop and Lightroom work excellent on my core i7 2011 MBA. It's a software issue...and most likely on Adobe's end with the new Haswell and/or Intel 5000 GPU.

J

It worked fine on my 2012 macbook air. It did run badly on my 2013. It was one of the reasons I returned it.

toypadlock

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
UK
I had the Photoshop flickering issues (it was my machine and youtube video featured in the MacRumors news post).

Received my replacement from Apple today (took a while because it was a BTO) and I can't replicate the issue anymore, indicating that it's an issue with only some machines.

Also, for what it's worth (and I really don't want to reignite this debate), the defective model had an LG screen and the new one has a Samsung. It might well be nothing to do with that however!

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
so i replaced my macbook
screen is still flickering but battery life is much better then the last one
now im hoping that the upgrade to maverick will fix the flickring issue.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
The only way i could replicate this issue was by creating a 100 inch x 100 inch new white file and painting with a 3000px black brush, quite annoying.

I cannot replicate any flickering in windows 7, this must be a software issue.

Last edited:

Stealth777

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Wrong

A "CS", Creative Suite will always demand much more power than an individual editing software; it is not the same thing to render an image in photoshop and render a video on CS6 and due to the staggering amount of extra tools, you definitely picked the wrong machine.

Still got time to return it and get the rMBP, make sure is the 15in; if you get the 13in rMBP will probably get worse than the MBA, since you are using a graphics intensive program which has a retina display on top of that without a graphics card powering them.

I have 2013 Air and 13" retina. Retina runs CS6 flawlessly. The Air has major screen flickering issues in PS. It's a known issue. Have had two Airs now with this problem. I'm hoping there is a software fix from apple as I believe their graphics driver is buggy.

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
The only way i could replicate this issue was by creating a 100 inch x 100 inch new white file and painting with a 3000px black brush, quite annoying.

I cannot replicate any flickering in windows 7, this must be a software issue.

Nothing happened with the 3000px black brush but there was flickering with a 5000px one. Quite annoying indeed, but I doubt I'll ever use such tremendous canvas/brush sizes. Haven't noticed flickering anywhere else (iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, VLC).

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Nothing happened with the 3000px black brush but there was flickering with a 5000px one. Quite annoying indeed, but I doubt I'll ever use such tremendous canvas/brush sizes. Haven't noticed flickering anywhere else (iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, VLC).

I did too, then did the update from Adobe and no longer have the issue. I believe it is the MacBook issue as the same thing, without the update, worked fine on my 2011 Air with no issues at all.

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
I did too, then did the update from Adobe and no longer have the issue. I believe it is the MacBook issue as the same thing, without the update, worked fine on my 2011 Air with no issues at all.

It still happens to me, even though my software is up-to-date:

ZWhD+

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
Same problem. I'm returning my MBA today.

Are you sure about that? I've read the upcoming 10.8.5 update fixes this, as well as Mavericks.

I've thought about returning it too, but I don't wanna wait another three weeks since it's a custom model.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Are you sure about that? I've read the upcoming 10.8.5 update fixes this, as well as Mavericks.

I've thought about returning it too, but I don't wanna wait another three weeks since it's a custom model.

Mavericks is not out. There is no guarantee there will be a fix with 10.8.5 . And the ultimate configuration is available at my Apple store. If I don't return it now, it will be out of the 14 day return period.

They offered me a swap and I am yet to be able to reproduce the flickering with the new MBA.

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I have bestbuy's 60 days return
Maverick better fix this issue
Or i am returning mine for good

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
I received my replacement today and the issue is still there, despite it's Photoshop's latest version (updates included).

I'm gonna return it and ask for a refund :( as sad as it is, I can't afford to wait until Apple/Adobe decide to fix this. I rely on Photoshop.

I'm so disappointed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.