Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Count me in the ipad5 camp. Really hoping it gets the same bezel design as the mini. I'm returning my mini today as its just too small. The ipad5 will be a great upgrade to my ipad2.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I also agree with the iPad 5 purchases. Mini, if one buys one, is normally stuck with the smaller size, and if you have second thoughts with the smaller text/movies/etc, though you will be able to sell it if dissatisfied, but with a bit of time/hassles. With the larger screen with the iPad 5, it is still portable, and one can do, and see things more clearly. Mini has some strong points, but the larger ipads have more in my opinion. ;)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I also agree with the iPad 5 purchases. Mini, if one buys one, is normally stuck with the smaller size, and if you have second thoughts with the smaller text/movies/etc, though you will be able to sell it if dissatisfied, but with a bit of time/hassles. With the larger screen with the iPad 5, it is still portable, and one can do, and see things more clearly. Mini has some strong points, but the larger ipads have more in my opinion. ;)

The price and upgraded display will only cannibalize the larger upcoming ipad even further. The current Mini with its screen and resolution already did. I did not mean to imply the 5 would not sell at all, obviously many bought the 4 for better resolution and bigger screen but the 5 will not have both advantages more or less.

I

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I like the screen size of my iPad 4, and I have never been in a situation where the Mini fitted, but the full size model didn't. I would stick with the full size.

But I have a friend who occasionally works in prisons. The maximum bag size he is allowed to take in will fit an iPad Mini, but not a full size one. Pity he had already bought an Android tablet before the Mini was announced.

People have different needs, and both models have their strengths, but I think price will make the Mini model more popular.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
First off, I have an ipad 4 so how did I decide cheaper is better when I returned the Mini? Same for anyone else doing that BUT retina drove the decision more so for most than the larger size. That never crossed your mind? Checkmate 1.

So ask yourself this? Soon the ipad mini 2 will come out more than likely with retina and cheaper than larger iPads as usual. The initial Mini outsold them regardless. Guess what will happen even more? Checkmate 2.

Glad you are not my opponent playing that game. Would be very boring for me, lol.

Did you know that The US is introducing a new initiative to combat the newly classified disease, "Trollism". From July 21st 2013, all known trolls will have their Frontal Lobe zapped in a measure to combat outrageous examples of reasoning on popular talkback/forum sites. The DDC believes this will dramatically make the internet a much healthier place for everyone.

And in the interest of everybody who doesn't care about my opinion - the iPad 5 will sell bucketloads and so will the mini 2 if it's Retina.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Did you know that The US is introducing a new initiative to combat the newly classified disease, "Trollism". From July 21st 2013, all known trolls will have their Frontal Lobe zapped in a measure to combat outrageous examples of reasoning on popular talkback/forum sites. The DDC believes this will dramatically make the internet a much healthier place for everyone.

And in the interest of everybody who doesn't care about my opinion - the iPad 5 will sell bucketloads and so will the mini 2 if it's Retina.

The ipad 5 might sell better than the 4 (which many felt wasn't a big deal and stuck with what they had) cause it will be lighter and the bezel smaller if rumors are correct.

Will it sell in bucket loads? The 4 sure didn't and the Mini crushed it 2 to 1 with proof offered with resources linked back a few months ago. I'm sure the price had lots to do with it and will again.

State your reasons as to why to defend your position as many have. The Mini 2 may not crush the 5 the way it crushed the 4 but again the price and form factor has already proven to be hard to dispute given the sales and that was even without retina.

Personally? I don't care per se but I just inquired as to who would buy the 5 especially if the Mini 2 comes with retina. Whose trolling??????????

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Will it sell in bucket loads? The 4 sure didn't and the Mini crushed it 2 to 1 with proof offered with resources linked back a few months ago. I'm sure the price had lots to do with it and will again.

There are a couple of reasons why the Mini sold really well including the novelty of it. The most compelling reasons were weight, size and price.

Weight. If the 5 is light enough the desire to have a larger faster device may bring people back to the full iPad. The Mini isn't completely pocketable so you would need to have a bag regardless in which case the smaller size isn't a completely compelling reason.

Size. Some people genuinely wanted a smaller iPad, some people just wanted to see if they used a smaller iPad more. This is where the novelty of the Mini may have been responsible for purchases.

Price. There is no way the full iPad will beat it on price, but the Mini will never get the full specs of the full iPad. The only reason I went smaller was that I could pick up two for the cost of a deluxe iPad 4 and I was willing to put up with the sacrifices that choice entailed. Had my budget been higher I wouldn't have chosen a relatively low-spec device.

The only way to know if the Mini is objectively preferred is over several years sales not the first year sales of a new device.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Count me in the ipad5 camp. Really hoping it gets the same bezel design as the mini. I'm returning my mini today as its just too small.
My thoughts exactly. I prefer having more screen real estate, especially when working with photos while out in the field. This will be my first iPad & it's been difficult at best being patient for its release but I believe in the long run, it's the right move for me and worth being patient. The mini's screen is just too small for me, as I need the larger screen area for work and sharing work related photos of options on the fly.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I'll reserve judgment until I see a Retina iPad mini in person. I like the form factor and weight of the mini, but not the standard display, so I bought an iPad 4 last December. (I upgraded from an iPad 1.) I like the large display of the iPad 4, because I use it for reading and looking at photos. If everything looks as readable to me on a Retina mini, and the "wow factor" of seeing photos at the larger size isn't dimisnished too much, then I might go for the mini next time. If I still prefer the larger size of the conventional iPad, then I'll probably sit out the 5 and wait for the 6.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
if they slim down the 10 inch ipad 5 to have thinner boarders like the ipad mini and make it lighter i will be grabbing an ipad 5 instead of ipad mini.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The ipad 5 might sell better than the 4 (which many felt wasn't a big deal and stuck with what they had) cause it will be lighter and the bezel smaller if rumors are correct.

State your reasons as to why to defend your position as many have. The Mini 2 may not crush the 5 the way it crushed the 4 but again the price and form factor has already proven to be hard to dispute given the sales and that was even without retina.

Personally? I don't care per se but I just inquired as to who would buy the 5 especially if the Mini 2 comes with retina. Whose trolling??????????

Mate, you're a troll as you just harp on and on about irrelevant things that nobody is disputing and ignore the answers given.

The simple answer is: The 5s bigger screen will be a big deal to a lot of people. Will the mini be more popular than the 5 if it has retina? Of course! There's room for both. What's your point? it's not Sega v Nintendo.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
To "me" the cheaper price point of the Mini is not an issue. However, getting my work done is. I travel and teach around the world. I do most all of my lesson building right on my ipad. Then teach from it as well. When the Mini came out I bought one. Then returned it two weeks later. As did many of my colleagues. The screen is just not big enough for my personal likes. It's to hard to type on the Mini. Plus the reading experience while teaching was less than optimal.

My ten year old has a Mini for gaming and fun. I'm not a Mini hater. It just didn't meet my work needs.

For me, I would much rather pay the extra $ and have a product that works better for my style of use. I will be getting the iPad 5.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think there will be lots who get iPad 5. It won't be as big and heavy as iPad 4 vs mini, so this will not put off people.

Also, I think the iPad mini 2 will be retina + A6X + 16gb -> 64gb.

I think iPad 5 will be retina + A7X + 32gb -> 128gb.

So the extra 16gb on the base model might be worth while to a lot of people, because at current prices *hypothetically* it would only be an extra $70 to go from a 32gb mini to 32gb 5. Getting the faster chips in the process.

Maybe the iPad 5 will have a better battery life too? Like the MacBook Air 11 vs 13.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Anyone who likes a bigger tablet would still get the 5 >_>

Yup. Size trumps all this other stuff. Most people who buy a mini are buying it for the form factor. They either don't understand the spec differences, or just don't care.

Personally, I'd love to have iPad 4 specs in my mini, and for music production, they'd be used. But the full size iPad form factor just doesn't work for me, so I just accept what's under the mini's hood.

Next gen I'll still be getting a mini regardless of specs vs specs. I'm hoping for 1GB of RAM, as that's what I'm missing the most.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yup. Size trumps all this other stuff. Most people who buy a mini are buying it for the form factor. They either don't understand the spec differences, or just don't care.

Personally, I'd love to have iPad 4 specs in my mini, and for music production, they'd be used, but the full size iPad form factor just doesn't work for me, so I just accept what's under the hood.

Next gen I'll still be getting a mini regardless of specs vs specs.

Exactly.

Everyone should realize that this is why the mini exists. Some people just want a smaller tablet. That being said, I couldn't get by with a mini... my tablet needs are different than what it would meet.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I totally love the size and weight of my Mini, but lately the small fonts are really getting to me so I find myself using my iPad 3 more. Hopefully the iPad 5 comes in lighter. That might convince me to sell both my Mini and my 3. Otherwise I'll just tough it out until version 6 comes about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.