Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I know everyone is guessing but I'm trying to figure out in my head what I want to do (no hurry, I can wait) I currently have a Mac Pro with 4 cinema displays and would prefer not to lose that capability, but it get's flippin hot in my office. I was thinking it was a combo of the Mac Pro and the displays, but after pluggin in a new Mini to a couple of the displays, the temp dropped approx 10-12 degrees...big difference. My question to all is if they think that the new Mac Pro will run a ton cooler than our old Mac Pros? If so I'll just use my current cinemas as they still work wonderful. I guess my last option would be to just get a new iMac and a couple of Thunderbolts, but then I only have 3 screens. If an iMac could do 4 screens, it would be a nonissue. Any thoughts?

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
It's not the displays. This morning, I hooked up all four displays to 2 mac minis at same time in same office and temp is constant 70 degrees. After 60 minutes of pro hooked up to same 4 displays, it's 80 degrees. It's the Mac Pro.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
It's not the displays. This morning, I hooked up all four displays to 2 mac minis at same time in same office and temp is constant 70 degrees. After 60 minutes of pro hooked up to same 4 displays, it's 80 degrees. It's the Mac Pro.

Get a window A/C and be done with it....

Good for you & good for the hardware....

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Easier said than done as my office is in the middle of the building. I guess I'll just wait and see. You would think since there is so much less to keep cool that it may run a little cooler.

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
The new MP probably won't be much cooler than the current ones. The CPU and GPU chips aren't radically different and they are the main heat producers. A fan cooled computer is basically a really fancy space heater. Either direct more AC to your office or find a way to channel the heat somewhere else.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I know everyone is guessing but I'm trying to figure out in my head what I want to do (no hurry, I can wait) I currently have a Mac Pro with 4 cinema displays and would prefer not to lose that capability, but it get's flippin hot in my office. I was thinking it was a combo of the Mac Pro and the displays, but after pluggin in a new Mini to a couple of the displays, the temp dropped approx 10-12 degrees...big difference. My question to all is if they think that the new Mac Pro will run a ton cooler than our old Mac Pros? If so I'll just use my current cinemas as they still work wonderful. I guess my last option would be to just get a new iMac and a couple of Thunderbolts, but then I only have 3 screens. If an iMac could do 4 screens, it would be a nonissue. Any thoughts?

I think you'll find for equivalent tasks, the new MP will be cooler. It uses chips with smaller gates which will lower the leakage and thus heat.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
What graphic cards do you have in the MP?

Configured with heat sinks? 1 fan? 2 fans?

What's the GPU temp?

Any PCIe slots open?

Room for a:

Attachments

• Vantec Fan.jpg
    Vantec Fan.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 94

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base

I bet you have a 2008 MacPro. The RAM gets very hot on those, hence the massive Heat sinks. On Top of that, the 1000watt power supply adds substatial heat on all models. I doubt, the new pro will be much cooler, but the heat will be more channeled upwards.

:apple:

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I actually have a 2006...do the 2010s run cooler than the 2006s?

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
My thoughts are that the new Mac Pro will run internally cooler since it looks like it will be more efficient at expelling the heat, less internal places for heat to be trapped and more of a chimney design. But that means that your room would be hotter since it would get the heat.

Also it will have no devices inside to generate extra heat.

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
I am pretty sure my 12 core uses less peer than my 2008 8-core did. I seem to recall the 32 gb of ram in the 2008 used 50-80 watts alone (measured at the PDU after upgrading).

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I think someone needs to blow out the collected dust from their 2006. 2008's so far are the hottest running I have been around. Dual 3.2GHz precisely. Really hot expulsion air. Makes me sweat. 2010's are much cooler. 2006 was cool for me as well but I had the lowly Dual 2GHz.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

Get a window A/C and be done with it....

Good for you & good for the hardware....

Easier said than done....

Dr. S. is absolutely right tho. 4 monitors and a busy workstation is enough to heat a 400 to 500 square foot office to 80˚f in just a few hours. And there is no fan system internal or external that will help - they will only mix the air around - the hot air. In such conditions you NEED something that will exchange the heat in the room for cold - out with the hot and in with the cool. In what I think is your situation there simply is no other way than generating cold air and hopefully also expelling hot air.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
And there is no fan system internal or external that will help - they will only mix the air around - the hot air. In such conditions you NEED something that will exchange the heat in the room for cold - out with the hot and in with the cool. In what I think is your situation there simply is no other way than generating cold air and hopefully also expelling hot air.

Exactly. Having a more hot computer, or a less hot computer is not going to affect the temperature of your office one bit. Therefore increasing the airflow through your computer, will only affect your CPU temps, not those of your office.

That said, if the new Mac Pro idles with a lower power draw than the present one, that may make a difference. Also, you would expect that the new Mac Pro will be able to do the same tasks as the old one far more quickly, thereby producing less heat. So if you are using a new Mac Pro to its full capability for hours on end, no; it will not be cooler. If you are performing a certain amount of computations every day, the Mac Pro will be cooler.

THAT said, if your old Mac Pro is a dual CPU, the new Mac Pro could well be 130W less of a space heater than the old one, assuming you are not using the GPUs.

THAT said, if you ARE using the GPUs, the new system (470W of just GPUs) will likely produce far more heat than the old system.

What you need is a fan blowing the hot air in your office out, possibly into the hallway, or the cool air in the hallway into your office.

Then again, 80˚F, or less than 27˚C, seems quite comfy to me. I would suggest the OP should not visit Australia in the summer ;)

Right here, right now, it is ~21˚C, 70˚F, in the middle of winter, and I'm cold :p

Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Then again, 80˚F, or less than 27˚C, seems quite comfy to me. I would suggest the OP should not visit Australia in the summer ;)

Right here, right now, it is ~21˚C, 70˚F, in the middle of winter, and I'm cold :p

hehe, yeah, I "idle" my office space at exactly 27 to 28˚C which is 78.8 to 80.6˚F. At 80.6 the air-con kicks in and shuts down again when it gets down to 78.7.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I'm really appreciating the feedback... That being said, it seems that it is possible that a new 6 core 3.33 would run cooler than my current dual quad 2.66 2006. Is it all basically in the heatsinks then?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I'm really appreciating the feedback... That being said, it seems that it is possible that a new 6 core 3.33 would run cooler than my current dual quad 2.66 2006. Is it all basically in the heatsinks then?

I am running into the same temps with my Mac Pro. I have the same one but I replaced to the processors with 2 quads (8 core). The CPU runs really cool, hovers around 100F all the time. The problem lies, like others have said, in the memory. My memory cage area sits at like 150F and it blows out constant hot air.

I tried everything and it just doesn't stay cool. The PSU is also pretty hot, the GPU and CPU are nice and cool. I cranked up the fans a bit, but that doesn't help much either. I am going to possibly upgrade to the new Pro or I may get the 2011/2012 model in the future.

Goodluck OP

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia

A single 130W CPU should be much cooler than two 130W CPUs.

I am of course assuming that both the quad 2.66 and the hex 3.33 are 130W CPUs.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Ok then, does the newer memory produce a lot less heat then 06-08? It sounds like if I had an 08 I could bake stuff in my office. :)

Pedrith

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Hi. I've just upgraded to 6 core mac pro and have noticed that the cpu runs around 68 degrees celcius when working on certain tasks (handbrake) or on multiple tasks (safari, itunes, copying over files etc) and am wondering if this is normal? Should I be worried? I'm having a few other problems with the computer that I'm taking it in to the apple store tonight and need to know if I should bring my question about the temp with the apple people?

I've only had the computer 2 weeks so I'm rather pissed about the other problems.

Thanks,

David

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
Hi. I've just upgraded to 6 core mac pro and have noticed that the cpu runs around 68 degrees celcius when working on certain tasks (handbrake) or on multiple tasks (safari, itunes, copying over files etc) and am wondering if this is normal? Should I be worried?

You say that you upgraded. Do you mean that you bought a new Mac Pro with a 6 core already installed? Or did you add the 6 core cpu yourself?

I own a 2009 Mac Pro and have added a faster cpu recently (4 core). My temperatures when performing multiple non-cpu intensive tasks are quite a bit lower than 68C (low 50's at the most).

But.........using Handbrake sends my cpu temps much higher than 68. The diode reaches 85C and the cores average 95C.

If you are using the original Cpu that came with the machine, then there is no reason not to ask the Apple techs about the temperatures. 68C is not particularly hot for Handbrake, though. Try some other stress testing like Cinebench and Luxmark.

Pedrith

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
yeah Its a brand new 6 core. Ran cineabench and it didn't go past 68 degrees.

My handbrake was everything maxed out and constant quality at 12 and still 68 degrees.

Just wondering cause I'm having problems with my monitor showing up gray or worse grey and pixilated and a loud clicking noise like when you use the dial on the old ipods.

Thanks for the help.

David

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
As requested, here is my exact setup...

Mac Pro 2006 (upgraded to 2 x Quad 2.66 5355s)
16GB RAM (8 x 2GB modules)
3 HDDs
1 SSD
ATi Radeon HD 4870 (driving a 30" ACD and 23" ACD)
ATi Radeon HD 2600 XT (driving two 23" ACDs)

I posted my temps below...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 3.00.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 3.00.31 PM.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 136
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.