Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Wonderful, so far

I downloaded the update to One Note yesterday upon hearing about it. Dis not have a chance to play with it until this morning and I must say that I am very impressed with it so far.

I loved One Note on my Windows laptop, but two years ago moved to a MacBook and have primarily used the MacBook over the past two years with Evernote on my iPhone and iPad as well. I have Evernote on all my devices, including the Windows laptop that I use when I need an app that isn't on the Mac (i.e. Access, Publisher, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2) so I can honestly say I only use the Windows computer 10-15% of the time. Evernote has been a good replacement, but after playing with the new iPad and iPhone apps I am very impressed.

What my hope that Microsoft will finally do is get their collective heads out of their collective butts and update Office on the Mac to match that of Office 365 and I mean ALL Office apps, plus get iPad versions finally out there for Office as well. They missed the boat when they didn't come out with iPad versions of at least Word, Excel and Powerpoint. The One Note app is fantastic, but without a Mac counterpart kind of useless to those that just have a Mac and do not have a Windows computer. The new Office for 365 subscribers for the iPhone is a small step in the right direction, but a lot more could be done. Although usable on an iPad, that app is crippled in many ways.

I am an Office 365 subscriber and I love the direction that things seem to be going and y hope is that the Mac version will be updated soon as well as iOS versions of the core apps. If they could come out with the core apps as well done as One Note has been done they should see a jump in sales.

I find it funny these days that the Office main apps, Excel, Word and Powerpoint, were originally made for the Mac and later ported over to Windows. Now those apps are treated like the red headed stepchildren. Quite frankly if I didn't use Office at work (which is 85% PC driven) I would have dropped them a long time ago.

I have no plans to drop Evernote at this time, but if the next version of the Mac Office suite includes One Note and is more in line with the Windows versions of the rest of Office then I will most likely drop Evernote and iWork. Of course if the newer version of iWork blows Office out of the water then Office will have to go.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Microsoft will never make One Note for Mac because they don't want to give people another reason to ditch Windows in favor of Mac, which is just plain sad on their part.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Microsoft will never make One Note for Mac because they don't want to give people another reason to ditch Windows in favor of Mac, which is just plain sad on their part.
To be fair, that makes no sense... They've brought over Word and Excel: the two super-killer Office apps. OneNote is very low in priorities in comparison to those two, so I hope that Office for Mac 2013 does include some new stuff.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
To be fair, that makes no sense... They've brought over Word and Excel: the two super-killer Office apps. OneNote is very low in priorities in comparison to those two, so I hope that Office for Mac 2013 does include some new stuff.

But your point isn't making sense though. MS Office isn't free like One Note is on iPad and if they are going to offer Office on the Mac they should offer all the apps that are available on the Windows version, namely One Note. They are charging the same price for either Mac or Windows. Mac users have to pay for that suite so it makes good business sense for Microsoft to keep producing it for Mac. Why should Mac users pay the same price for less included apps than what's on the Windows version? You're saying it like they are doing the Mac community a favor. They didn't bring over anything, Office was on Mac before it was Windows.

Hackmodford

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
The new update is great!
But I'm curious, are there any plans for a mac version of one note?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida

They did not "bring over " Word and Excel to the Mac. Word, Excel and Powerpoint were originally Mac applications and were then brought over to Windows back when Windows 3 came out.

Given the history of releases the next Office for Mac would be 2014.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
They did not "bring over " Word and Excel to the Mac. Word, Excel and Powerpoint were originally Mac applications and were then brought over to Windows back when Windows 3 came out.

Given the history of releases the next Office for Mac would be 2014.
Well, for the last 15 years anyway, Microsoft has developed Office primarily for Windows. While the original versions were on the Mac, it's weak to say that they are anything close on the current software.

With regards to the next version, I think Microsoft indicated recently: "Buy Office 2011 for Mac and get a free upgrade to 2013"... I'll need to look it up.

----------

But your point isn't making sense though. MS Office isn't free like One Note is on iPad and if they are going to offer Office on the Mac they should offer all the apps that are available on the Windows version, namely One Note. They are charging the same price for either Mac or Windows. Mac users have to pay for that suite so it makes good business sense for Microsoft to keep producing it for Mac. Why should Mac users pay the same price for less included apps than what's on the Windows version? You're saying it like they are doing the Mac community a favor. They didn't bring over anything, Office was on Mac before it was Windows.

Your argument, once again, makes no sense... you're arguing with yourself?

I wasn't ever expecting a full Office for iPad to be free, I'd be more than happy to part a lot of money for such software. It also makes sense for Microsoft to charge more for the Mac version: they have a smaller install base, therefore lower margins.

If I wasn't mistaken, we're talking about Office for iPad, yeah?

b52hbuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Thanks to the Microsoft OneNote team! Love what you did with the update. You addressed some very basic/annoying omissions. My favorites are the table editing/manipulation and the bullets.

One feature that I would still like to see added is the linked audio notes. I want to be able to take linked noted from the iPad.

I would also like to see a little better Safari integration. Would love to see the Safari "Send To" (box / arrow icon next to URL) add a "OneNote" icon to send a URL or a rendered page to OneNote.

p.s. I was just about to pony up the $15 for the prior version. I'm glad I didn't, but I would have paid $15 for this version! :)

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
I just downloaded the update this morning, and it wow'd me. I used to use OneNote before, but it just had too many flaws on my iPad Mini. However, I think this update got rid of a lot of the flaws and brought it almost to the level of OneNote on PC.

The only thing I think it needs is the ability to add new Notebooks in-app. That is the only thing that I still don't like about it. But, after this update, it is definitely going to be my primary document/note application.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
How well does this handle pen input? We'd like to use an iPad for taking notes (among other tasks) but I haven't seen much information about how OneNote works with pen input on the iPad now.

valipro

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
Great apps!

Very helpful and useful apps.

Please develop OS X version.

Thank you.

b52hbuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
How well does this handle pen input? We'd like to use an iPad for taking notes (among other tasks) but I haven't seen much information about how OneNote works with pen input on the iPad now.

Answered earlier in the thread. Inking can be rendered. You cannot use pen input on the ipad.

PhilGqln

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
France
One Note 2.0 and proxy settings

I was running OneNote 1.3 on PC, iPhone and iPad for a wile. Professional use.

I updated to OneNote 2.0 2 days ago. Our internet connection is through an authenticated proxy. It was fine with OneNote 1.3 and both ipad and iphone wifi are setup coerrectly regarding proxy.

It doesn't work any more, i'm forced to sync my ipad and iphoneto SkyDrive from home.

Any idea ?

Thanks

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
I was running OneNote 1.3 on PC, iPhone and iPad for a wile. Professional use.

I updated to OneNote 2.0 2 days ago. Our internet connection is through an authenticated proxy. It was fine with OneNote 1.3 and both ipad and iphone wifi are setup coerrectly regarding proxy.

It doesn't work any more, i'm forced to sync my ipad and iphoneto SkyDrive from home.

Any idea ?

Thanks

What do you mean it doesn't work? Like, I get you saying about synching. But what doesn't work? Does it not open on the browser? Does it give you an error? Crash?

PhilGqln

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
France
:mad: One Note 2.0 and proxy settings

sorry,

I mean that connection to SkyDrive is not working behind the proxy, works well w/o proxy. The error is : "cannot connect to skydrive" or "cannot synchronise notebook".
SkyDrive apps is working fine like was OneNote 1.3

OneNote is workung fine but cannot synch at all through proxy.

Thanks for your reply

Phil

Last edited:

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
You cannot use pen input on the ipad.

This is so crazy stupid, I want to bang my head against a wall.

I used to use OneNote on a Toshiba laptop/tablet convertible back in 2005, doing most of my input with a stylus. Now it's 8 years later, OneNote has come to the iPad (an extremely hand-interaction-based OS UI), and there's no stylus input? Absolutely insane.

I was ready to download it immediately. I would have even paid up to $100 for it. But without stylus input I find it pointless. That was one of the best things about it—in fact, the ONLY reason I bought it and was able to use it on my Toshiba—back in 2005.

Sadly, yet another Microsoft misstep. So glad I completely switched over to Apple in 2007.

Renzatic

Suspended
Sadly, yet another Microsoft misstep. So glad I completely switched over to Apple in 2007.

Uh. This isn't MS' fault. The iPad doesn't have a digitizer onboard, so you can't use a fine tipped pressure sensitive stylus to take notes with it period.

That's not stopping you from using a nub end capacitive stylus in OneNote, though. It's not nearly as good, but it's a decent substitute for the time being.

WiG

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
Huge app size

Can anyone explain how OneNote app size jumped from 8MB to 278MB ??
Even the Windows OneNote is not that huge!

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Can anyone explain how OneNote app size jumped from 8MB to 278MB ??
Even the Windows OneNote is not that huge!

Likely due to the interface overhaul. If I remember correctly it didn't half the features and options before than it does now. It looks like completely redid the app. I mean, there are a lot of features that it just didn't have before. One notable is the ability to make tables with the Tab key.

That and adding the ribbon-like navigation. It looks like just completely redid the entire app.

EDIT

Something strange I noticed. Sometimes, when I am typing in One Note, my text is white and transparent and stays that way for up to 20 seconds before appearing in black, as it should be. Not a huge issue, but still a little weird.

Last edited:

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
How do you insert a file in onedrive from Word, excel etc. from iPad?
I can insert from email app but MS cripples Word so you cannot open-with a file in any other document. Same with onedrive IOS app.

Am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.