Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obsesivegamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I attempted an ssd install on my 2010 unibody mac mini. I got the ssd in and installed the os when I released the I forgot to plug in the fan cable. I quickly opened the mini back up and very very stupidly pulled the logic board out while the all the various cables were still attached to it. While the connectors did not break of the logic board one or two of the wires were damaged. Basically the individuals leads were pulled out of the connector and the connecter remains on the logic board.

So is there a way to just shove the leads back inside the connector? I will post close ups soon.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This posting exemplifies why I recommend an external SSD setup (either via USB3 or Thunderbolt) over digging into the Mini -- especially for "first timers".

Chances are this guy screwed up his motherboard so badly, he'll need a replacement.

'Nuff said.

ked188

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
gone wrong

The connector for the fan just lifts out. I used a small plastic measuring spoon to LIFT the connector very gently, or you can purchase a "spudger" from OWC with their tool kit. Also a magnifying glass comes in very handy.

I successfully upgraded my new late 2012 mini yesterday with a Samsung 840 without having to move the moboard.

OWC has a very good instructional video on youtube and a link from their web site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrlN...ith the performance increase. Thanks, ked188

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.