Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I've been making it a habit to work in cafes a few hours of the day to escape the monotony of the office and put myself in a environment that helps bring out the creative vibes.

One thing that I noticed is that Apple products seem to dominate the cafe crowd - seems as if 90% of the laptops are Apple with many being Macbook Air. For tablet users, its hard to see anything but an iPad.

So whats it with the cafe demographic and Apple products? It does not seem to be just young people.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know, but all I can speculate is that the partnership of Apple, AT&T and Starbucks may have gotten the ball started for doing this type of thing. Couple that with popular movies and TV shows displaying similar behavior. Then you have the whole thing of people watching others do it and they in turn follow suit.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
There are many Macs in Cafes, but it's nowhere near 90%. Some days you only see Macs, other days there are a bunch of ThinkPads and Dells, or just some random stuff. Once I saw a guy with a 19'' or 20'' portable workstation - just the power brick was as big as my MBP.

Tablets the majority are iPads, but I don't see many people work on them. What I really like is that I still see many people with their older MacBook (Pro) models. The white MB can still be seen very often, and I'm happy every time I see a black MB or a non unibody MBP.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It depends where you go. I went to a Panera a few months ago and observed:

1. The wireless was G
  2. The sandwiches were fresh
  3. The coffee wasn't
  4. The laptops were Windows

I thought I was in Bizarro Starbucks

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
Any time I've gone to Starbucks in the past it seems to vary. Sometimes it'll be dominated by Windows machines, other times Mac's....

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Maybe because Macbooks generally have better battery life than other notebooks (prior to ultrabooks and tablets), so it's just easier for Macbook owners to take their machines out and about. I've had a netbook since 2008 and that's the only notebook you can reasonably take outside without the accompanying power adapter, something you can say is true about all Macbooks since the unibody.

DarkoDonnie

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
I've never seen macbooks at a Tim Hortons (huge cheap coffee chain in canada), but it's all i see at starbucks..

I know once i get my rMBP I'll be headed to starbucks to sit there and work when I'm sick of my desk. seems like a better crowed to work around. pricey drinks brings in a crowd of people you dont think are going to pour coffee in your face and steal your laptop. i onno.

maybe it has somthing to do with this *steve jobs look alike* drinking at Starbucks ;p

fasdfasfd.jpg

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I've never seen macbooks at a Tim Hortons (huge cheap coffee chain in canada), but it's all i see at starbucks..
View attachment 421651

Tim Hortons (which operates hundreds of stores in the United States) only put in WiFi last year, years after Starbucks, McDonald's, Timothy's and Second Cup. And they're very much a downmarket chain with most of their sales "to go" and none of the comfortable living room type furniture found in the more upscale chains. Not surprising you don't see MacBooks there - I wouldn't drink their coffee on a bet.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Serious IBM users are at their offices and visiting clients, not sitting in cafes. :p

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
One thing that I noticed is that Apple products seem to dominate the cafe crowd - seems as if 90% of the laptops are Apple with many being Macbook Air.

I've seen the same. It also applies to schools.

Serious IBM users are at their offices and visiting clients, not sitting in cafes. :p

People who have IBM's, HP's or Dell's assigned to them, have also been assigned desks.
Or conversely: Free-roaming people buy the hardware they like :)

RGDS,

Memole

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
i find people who bring laptops in cafes are just showoffs ( you cant do any serious work in cafes ffs )

maybe i should come with my black macbook to feel unique :rolleyes:

or when i buy rMBP 15" to install gentoo and to not have any GUI :p how different is that haha :p

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
i find people who bring laptops in cafes are just showoffs ( you cant do any serious work in cafes ffs )

maybe i should come with my black macbook to feel unique :rolleyes:

or when i buy rMBP 15" to install gentoo and to not have any GUI :p how different is that haha :p

Scientific research says you are wrong there pal. Never mind, eh.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

That is certainly your opinion, however, I am ready to believe that there are, in fact, folks who are able to get serious work done while in the café. Moreover, not everyone is a show off simply because they brought a device in to do some work. You may feel that way, but it may not always be the person's intent to be that way.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

IBM hasn't made personal computers for years. So technically, serious IBM users are unproductive since they're using ancient hardware. ;)

Memole

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
Scientific research says you are wrong there pal. Never mind, eh.
Cafeine and coffee helps but you can drink a coffee in your home or office ;) or somewhere where is more quieter than cafe bar places ;)

That is certainly your opinion, however, I am ready to believe that there are, in fact, folks who are able to get serious work done while in the café. Moreover, not everyone is a show off simply because they brought a device in to do some work. You may feel that way, but it may not always be the person's intent to be that way.
yes i know that not everyone is a showoff, but in my opinion and i personally i cant do much serious and dedicated work in cafe bar due the crowded people and noise, only thing i could do in cafe bar is to enjoy in my coffee and talk with my friends in person :)

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
When I am anywhere using my laptop or tablet or phone it is because I have crap to do and need internet while away from home. For example when on a business trip between meetings at different locations I may stop at a Starbucks to do some work. I do not look around to see who is using a device nor what they are using as I don't care. If you are looking around to compare devices being used perhaps your a poser?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
yes i know that not everyone is a showoff, but in my opinion and i personally i cant do much serious and dedicated work in cafe bar due the crowded people and noise, only thing i could do in cafe bar is to enjoy in my coffee and talk with my friends in person :)

I only responded like that because you had made an all-encompassing sweeping statement about the crowd of people who do this sort of thing.

I've not brought my laptop into a café before as I feel it's too much and I don't usually spend a lot of time inside. I have brought the iPad in a couple of times since it is much easier to carry around.

Most of the time, it's the drive through for me.:)

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
When I am anywhere using my laptop or tablet or phone it is because I have crap to do and need internet while away from home. For example when on a business trip between meetings at different locations I may stop at a Starbucks to do some work. I do not look around to see who is using a device nor what they are using as I don't care. If you are looking around to compare devices being used perhaps your a poser?

Not really, just an observation. I am interested in tech so I do tend to pay attention to device adoption.

BTW, this is perspective from Singapore and Asia......but perhaps not reflective of the rest of the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.