Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MriPadMiniMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Hello,

I recently killed my iPad mini when I was walking home from my class at college and it was in my book bag and my book bag somehow wasn't zipped so I'm going to buy a new one soon but I don't know what Carrier to go with, my last one was with AT&T they have no LTE here but there HSPA+ is rocking 10mb down and 3 up almost always I hear Verizon has LTE my mom has a iPhone 5 and I ran some tests around 30mb down and 20mb up I've seen AT&T LTE and it blew me away at the speeds AT&T said LTE would be in our town around September I don't know if I should wait for AT&T LTE or just go with Verizon...

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
We can't decide for you.

I have AT&T on my Mini but don't get LTE at my house, it stops two blocks away where I can get 40Mbps down. At home on 4G, I am lucky to get 1Mbps and that is at night. In the day, I get nothing.

Verizon was the same way at my house but I never had anything that could use LTE so I have no idea how they can be.

So currently, I am using AT&T on both my Mini and my Nexus 7 although I may go back to T-Mobile on my Nexus 7 because I can get data at my house using them.

What does this tell you? Your experience will vary so again, we can't tell you what carrier to try. Pick one and try it. If you aren't happy, exchange it for the other. I'm past my exchange period so I am staying with the AT&T model although I can use any other carriers sim in it since iPads are unlocked.

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
This decision is based on the area you live in, so its up to you. Follow the advice given above and you won't go wrong

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have LTE available to me on both networks but I went with Verizon because of the free personal hotspot feature.

Quite nice to share the connection with other devices.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
It really depends where you are, for me personally I like AT&T their LTE is great but HSPA+ isn't bad either. If your fine with your last iPad experience I would suggest to go to AT&T again. Ultimately though its your decision.

Edit: after re reading your post I would suggest waiting, if you're going to end up getting LTE soon just wait, AT&T's LTE is mind blowing fast if your willing to wait for them to roll out in your area.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I have LTE available to me on both networks but I went with Verizon because of the free personal hotspot feature.

Quite nice to share the connection with other devices.

Exactly why my next iPad will connect to Verizon.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Exactly why my next iPad will connect to Verizon.

AT&T includes hotspot.

For me, I have my ipad opposite of my phone. That way I can just use hotspot on either to get the best possible speed for both devices.

Ohh and I will say my ATT iPhone had 4 bars and LTE in ocean city but my download speeds were so bad I couldn't even compare to 3G. So just saying, just because LTE is there doesn't mean it'll be fast.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
AT&T includes hotspot.

For me, I have my ipad opposite of my phone. That way I can just use hotspot on either to get the best possible speed for both devices.

Ohh and I will say my ATT iPhone had 4 bars and LTE in ocean city but my download speeds were so bad I couldn't even compare to 3G. So just saying, just because LTE is there doesn't mean it'll be fast.

How do you get hotspot with AT&T? Mine just tells me to contact AT&T to enable it but I see no way to add it on the iPad account area or on the website.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
How do you get hotspot with AT&T? Mine just tells me to contact AT&T to enable it but I see no way to add it on the iPad account area or on the website.

You have to set up a share plan, then add your iPad to it. No thanks, I want the freedom of no contract hotspotting, which Verizon currently provides.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I chose AT&T because of the experience I had with Verizon lacking lte indoors in NYC. It really all depends on your location
AT&T is horrible in the towns but real strong in the cities. Verizon is the other way around

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
In my area, both AT&T and Verizon provide LTE service. Ultimately, I went with Verizon because of the included hotspot feature and the 1GB of data for $20. I didn't need a lot of data and AT&T only offers and 250MB plan which isn't enough. Overall, I am happy with my choice.

MriPadMiniMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I went with Verizon there LTE is pulling 20 MB constantly witch is better than our 15mb wifi

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
If you plan to use FaceTime, go with Verizon. AT&T hates people using FaceTime all the time so they have so so data plan. But AT&T has the FASTEST LTE than Verizon.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
If you plan to use FaceTime, go with Verizon. AT&T hates people using FaceTime all the time so they have so so data plan. But AT&T has the FASTEST LTE than Verizon.

That of course depends on the area you are in.
Some areas AT&T will be better and of course Isome areas Verizon will be better.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Anyone know if you can stick a T-Mobile Monthly 4G sim in an AT&T iPad and use, for example, the 5GB of data on the $30 100 minute plan?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Hello,

I recently killed my iPad mini when I was walking home from my class at college and it was in my book bag and my book bag somehow wasn't zipped so I'm going to buy a new one soon but I don't know what Carrier to go with, my last one was with AT&T they have no LTE here but there HSPA+ is rocking 10mb down and 3 up almost always I hear Verizon has LTE my mom has a iPhone 5 and I ran some tests around 30mb down and 20mb up I've seen AT&T LTE and it blew me away at the speeds AT&T said LTE would be in our town around September I don't know if I should wait for AT&T LTE or just go with Verizon...

Do they no longer teach how to write in sentences and paragraphs in college?

Will you keep your monthly plan going, or will just activate it when you need it?

I have read several complaints where Verizon has deactivated LTE SIM cards after several months of inactivity on an account. This forces the owner of the iPad to go to a Verizon store to reactivate their cellular account.

I believe that Verizon's cheapest data plan is $20/mo. for 2GB and AT&T's is $15/mo. for 350MB. So the amount of data you use may have an influence also.

Reception is probably the most important thing to consider. Can you talk to classmates using Verizon and see how they feel about reception in the areas they frequent around campus?

One thing I've noticed this that there seem to be more refurbished Verizon iPads on Apple's refurbished store than there are refurbished AT&T iPads. Why that is I do not know.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.