Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekkifi

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012
It completely depends on your wants and needs. What are you looking to get from a tablet?

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I would say it depends on your usage and how invested you are in the different Eco systems.

Here is my thing. I have three ATV3s, 2 iPhone 5s, an iPad mini, an iPad 3, and a Mac Mini (late 2012 fully loaded model). I have about 20 movies purchased through iTunes, almost all of my music is purchased through iTunes, apps, etc...

I heavily use my iPhones and iPads to AirPlay a lot of video, especially new downloaded content that hasn't been added to iTunes yet. I have TONS of movies and TV shows as well that the seamless integration between my iOS devices, ATV, and Mac make it so easy to watch content on my TV.

Now I have a cheap android tablet that I bought to just mess around with and try out android but not very impressed. It has a few nice options like using MicroSD cards and USB drives. Toggles are nice as well but I can get all tht functionality with my iPad mini that I am using to type this out with a Jailbreak. IFile and NCSettings gives me those options. Problem solved. While the android tablet does play video, Internet, email, etc... It does not integrate into the rest of my setup making it pretty much useless for my needs.

Overall, get what you think is best for you though. I wish u luck with whatever you purchase.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
I would definitely go for the iPad Mini, because of the great os and apps available for this device.

Keep in mind that Apple will refresh this device in September / October, maybe it is a good idea to wait with your purchase or buy it at Ebay or whatsoever. :)

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Someone buying a mini now won't be able to jailbreak it. Keep that in mind.

I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago. Came with iOS 6.1 on it. It is JB'd.

Granted not all will come with 6.1 so it is hit or miss. Buy one see, then return it and buy from another store to see if they have one with 6.1.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Ipad mini , eyes closed. Whatever android device it be, sooner or later it starts to show little annoyances- lags, force closing , apps not compatible etc. If you are the kind of person who wants the best out of apps and performance/stability mini is the way.

If you want to experiment with rooting, roms of course its gotta be 7.7.

In my view, one should all own kinda devices if one can afford it :):p

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
The Samsung 7.7 inch tab has been out for awhile but and this is a big but, the screen quality is really nice.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I had a 7.7 prior to the mini launching. Actually a really nice piece of kit, exceptionally well designed - pity Samsung dont apply similar principles to its other lines - and the screen is markedly better than the current Mini. However, I sold it the moment I got a mini, the app's are incomparably better on the iPad.

Also, I only really truly liked the 7.7 when I rooted and bunged CyanogenMod10 on there. Touchwiz isn't quite as bad on tablets, it was slightly toned down, but it was still godawful. CM10 was far better, and much smoother.

Given how much time has passed, I wouldn't go near a 7.7 now unless you can get one for peanuts, which is unlikely - bar the Nexus 7, its still amongst the best android tablets, better than newer Samsung models too. If you really want an Android tab, Nexus 7 2nd gen without question will be the better option.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Just buy both offline then keep them for week only then one you are really happy with keep it and just send the other one back and say you are not happy with the product and you would like to return the product

Doesn't matter what people think of the iPad mini or the Samung 7'7 its all down to you are you going be using the device.Only you can make your decision and you shouldn't go what someone else say really because you are going to be using the device.There is going to be good points about both products and bad points to about both products there is no perfect product out there on the market you just have to get the one that suites your needs the best like i said only you can answer that question best thing to do is try them both out and then you can make decision

Last edited:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Someone buying a mini now won't be able to jailbreak it. Keep that in mind.
I bought mine a month ago and it came with 6.0.1. I jailbroke it but upgraded to the latest OS last week. There were too many bugs in 6.0.1.

There is always a chance that the Mini today will come with an version that can be Jailbroken.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
Get the mini, I had an android tablet before my iPad its a buggy and laggy OS.
And apple has more apps.hope this helps

interinfo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I had a 7.7 prior to the mini launching. Actually a really nice piece of kit, exceptionally well designed - pity Samsung dont apply similar principles to its other lines - and the screen is markedly better than the current Mini. However, I sold it the moment I got a mini, the app's are incomparably better on the iPad.

Also, I only really truly liked the 7.7 when I rooted and bunged CyanogenMod10 on there. Touchwiz isn't quite as bad on tablets, it was slightly toned down, but it was still godawful. CM10 was far better, and much smoother.

Given how much time has passed, I wouldn't go near a 7.7 now unless you can get one for peanuts, which is unlikely - bar the Nexus 7, its still amongst the best android tablets, better than newer Samsung models too. If you really want an Android tab, Nexus 7 2nd gen without question will be the better option.

which one is better for outdoor use ?

----------

Honestly wait for the nexus 7 2nd generation.

when will it come out ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.