Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattysouthall

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Hi,

So I am looking for a way to use maybe XBMC on my Apple TV so I can stream MKV movie files from my NAS drive using my Apple TV, I heard this is possible through jail breaking and XBMC plays almost any file type and audio. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction to jail breaking?

EDIT: Fail just saw another thread ask the same thing and I have Apple TV 3 so looks like no :(

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Hi,

So I am looking for a way to use maybe XBMC on my Apple TV so I can stream MKV movie files from my NAS drive using my Apple TV, I heard this is possible through jail breaking and XBMC plays almost any file type and audio. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction to jail breaking?

If you have a first or second gen AppleTV then it can be jailbroken. If it's a 3rd gen, then no it can't be done, but if you have a PC to run Plex Media Server there is a hack called PlexConnect that works on 2nd and 3rd generation AppleTV's.

mattysouthall

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
If you have a first or second gen AppleTV then it can be jailbroken. If it's a 3rd gen, then no it can't be done, but if you have a PC to run Plex Media Server there is a hack called PlexConnect that works on 2nd and 3rd generation AppleTV's.

Just found plex connect in the other thread, will this let me play mkv files through it?

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Just found plex connect in the other thread, will this let me play mkv files through it?

def plays mkv and everything else plus you can have DTS audio too :) only thing is you will have to have a comp running plex media server

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Nice I just got an Apple TV too yesterday. So plex connect on my computer and I can play on my atv? But it's not a Mac. Do I do it on my ios device instead?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Nice I just got an Apple TV too yesterday. So plex connect on my computer and I can play on my atv? But it's not a Mac. Do I do it on my ios device instead?

Plex Connect works on any computer. Linux, Windows, or Mac. Same thing with the Plex Media Server.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Oh so once I get that on my computer it'll stream to atv? Pretty cool if so. What about an external hd hooked into my router USB port?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Oh so once I get that on my computer it'll stream to atv? Pretty cool if so. What about an external hd hooked into my router USB port?

however you want. For instance I have a DLINK nas as a mapped network drive on my spare PC. I set up plex media server and pointed it to the mapped network drive. Let it build the library, then install plexconnect and set up the Dns on the appletv.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Plex allows content to show on any foat right? So an avi file can play on the atv as long as its on the server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.