Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
To this day I've yet to find a mobile which is as responsive.

Many Android phones just don't respond to a first click on the internet browser or it takes a few pushes for texts.

Why is there not a half decent touch phone? Yes they have improved but I have to admit the Iphone 3GS still beats these Android phones.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
I don't get what you're trying to say.. The iPhone is fast in a lot of things, but the touch screen being faster? LOL!

Most capacitive touch screens are the same speed in reaction, even my low-end Sony Live has a quick touch screen.

Maybe you're comparing to the real-low end android phones, the ones with resistive touch screens.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Some might say its the great optimization of hardware and software designed to work together but I think you just haven't experienced a top end android or windows phone. They are smooth and responsive too.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Are you referring to the responsiveness while the page has not completely loaded yet? I know on my Android phone, if the page is still loading, it may not be very responsive when you tap the screen. The same thing happens on my PC browser. Some pages take some time to load and while loading, it isn't responsive to mouse clicks.

I think Safari on iOS may suspend the rendering of the page if you use the touch screen to zoom or scroll. Once you stop touching the screen, the page resumes loading. The same applies for animations. They stop if you scroll and resume once you release your finger.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Well when I tried Xperia phones they are quite laggy with the touch screen. Same with some Samsung.

Admittedly the Galaxy 4 seems better but the same can't be said for many others.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
To this day I've yet to find a mobile which is as responsive.

Many Android phones just don't respond to a first click on the internet browser or it takes a few pushes for texts.

Why is there not a half decent touch phone? Yes they have improved but I have to admit the Iphone 3GS still beats these Android phones.

My android phone is as responsive as my iPhone 4,4s, 5.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
What a load of rubbish

I don't get what you're trying to say.. The iPhone is fast in a lot of things, but the touch screen being faster? LOL!

Most capacitive touch screens are the same speed in reaction, even my low-end Sony Live has a quick touch screen.

Maybe you're comparing to the real-low end android phones, the ones with resistive touch screens.

My android phone is as responsive as my iPhone 4,4s, 5.

I notice that Android users deliberately ignore this fact of it being perceptively smoother.

They simply choose to see it as being the same.

It's the best part of having a closed system.

For people to admit to themselves that Android has less smooth touch response would be equivalent to admitting the huge downside of having an "open" system where you can install all types of 3rd party garbage and customize.

They can't handle admitting that. They are too proud of that selling point which is their number one boast in the Android world; being customizable and open.

The Galaxy 4/Note 2 or any top tier phone still has not caught up though.

The Android OS is to blame, not hardware. It doesn't matter how powerful the processor gets or how much memory it gets thrown at it.

And the low end Android phones are just ridiculous. I've seen people push a button 3 times before it registers the push.

But with top tier phones, it's just feels like you are operating the GUI at like 20FPS and on iPhone it feels like everything is 60FPS. It's the best I can explain it.

All praise goes to the marriage of the OS to the Hardware and the closed system philosophy.

The main reason I would never switch as well.

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I notice that Android users deliberately ignore this fact of it being perceptively smoother.

They simply choose to see it as being the same.

It's the best part of having a closed system.

For people to admit to themselves that Android has less smooth touch response would be equivalent to admitting the huge downside of having an "open" system where you can install all types of 3rd party garbage and customize.

They can't handle admitting that. They are too proud of that selling point which is their number one boast in the Android world; being customizable and open.

The Galaxy 4/Note 2 or any top tier phone still has not caught up though.

The Android OS is to blame, not hardware. It doesn't matter how powerful the processor gets or how much memory it gets thrown at it.

And the low end Android phones are just ridiculous. I've seen people push a button 3 times before it registers the push.

But with top tier phones, it's just feels like you are operating the GUI at like 20FPS and on iPhone it feels like everything is 60FPS. It's the best I can explain it.

All praise goes to the marriage of the OS to the Hardware and the closed system philosophy.

The main reason I would never switch as well.

Never had such issues with my HTC one.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
What a load of rubbish

http://youtu.be/J6oWDLk31EQ

http://youtu.be/RVDMOP1pWCQ

I believe he's referring to these above. I'm sure JB has lessened it somewhat but I can still see the lag on the HTC One and S4, especially when pinching to zoom on webpages or photos. There's a slight delay between the finger motion and the action on screen with any kind of finger input.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
i believe this is due to ios prioritizing the UI above all else.

This.

iOS will suspend loading/downloading while you are doing something related to the touch screen.

Load a busy web page in safari (or any browser on iOS) and start scrolling without taking your finger off the screen (up and down). The web page will never load, until you stop. It does this in a lot of different ways. Take Tapatalk for example, it will lock out touch response when its loading.

Android on the other hand will load while you are touch the screen. And usually it feels like a delay in the touch response when that's happening.

The you can't rule out apps either. Like the Pizza Hut app (don't judge me) is a laggy mess on iOS. I can't say iOS is laggy because one app sucks. You can find browsers in android that are much smoother then others just due to being written better.

falkedup

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Windows phones are just as fast, even the older ones (7,7.5).

Android unless you have a nexus, doesn't hold a candle

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Are you referring to the responsiveness while the page has not completely loaded yet? I know on my Android phone, if the page is still loading, it may not be very responsive when you tap the screen. The same thing happens on my PC browser. Some pages take some time to load and while loading, it isn't responsive to mouse clicks.

I think Safari on iOS may suspend the rendering of the page if you use the touch screen to zoom or scroll. Once you stop touching the screen, the page resumes loading. The same applies for animations. They stop if you scroll and resume once you release your finger.

iOS uses multithreading more extensively, which is why your animations still occur while the page is rendering

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Just testing the iPhone 5 next to the nexus one. Both are super responsive. Depends on what android device you have.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Apple does use a touchscreen that has more response points than the others. The article I read was from a few years back, so android may have caught up by now.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This story again? An actual Google employee came and and bashed this "former intern" and his rubbish, which is completely inaccurate.

Ok, post the story. I haven't read it and I never really followed this story that much (articles on the nitty gritty of software seem to be few and far between).

I'd be interested in what made the first major wave of Android so laggy for touch. Now it's not even an issue but I remember those old days. Any insight? :confused:

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I use both everyday (see my sig) and iOS has a more fluid touchscreen response. My android has a 1.5ghz dualcore with 2gb of ram so its not slow, but the touch response still "lags" in certain elements where the iPhone keeps up. I can't explain it technically, but if you think Android Jellybean is as smooth as iOS i don't know what to tell you. The videos above seem to explain it/describe it.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Ok, post the story. I haven't read it and I never really followed this story that much (articles on the nitty gritty of software seem to be few and far between).

I'd be interested in what made the first major wave of Android so laggy for touch. Now it's not even an issue but I remember those old days. Any insight? :confused:

Not the exact article I was looking for, but it still sheds valuable insight.

http://blog.crazybob.org/2011/12/truth-about-android-ios-ui-performance.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.