Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iucakeov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Hi this might be an unusual question, but is there any way to make applications load exclusively in the background, instead of popping up as they load..

For example, suppose I'm working in Dreamweaver or writing emails on Mail and I decide to lead Photoshop to edit a photo quickly. And while Photoshop is loading, I want to go back to work on my other Application but as I'm typing and working, Photoshop pops and interrupts. And then it keeps doing it for the next minute as it loads..

Is there any script or something I can run to make this not happen?

Thoughts appreciated!
Ivan

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Nothing in OSX I don't believe, but I have no experience beyond Leopard, so I'm falling behind the times. Perhaps something within an application, but I doubt that every one would have it.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
A little shell scripting partially solves this:
Code:
open -a AppName &
This tells OSX to open the application AppName (if found) in the background. All you have to do after running this is Cmd+Tab back to whatever you were doing before.

iucakeov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Thanks for the reply wrldwzrd89
Does this mean I would need to run this script from Terminal every time? Is that how this would work? I am not very used to running scripts.
Or can I maybe load this in the automator somehow?
Or is there way to save this somewhere so that it knows whenever I run an application?
I don't mind hitting cmd-tab every time I load a new app..

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Thanks for the reply wrldwzrd89
Does this mean I would need to run this script from Terminal every time? Is that how this would work? I am not very used to running scripts.
Or can I maybe load this in the automator somehow?
Or is there way to save this somewhere so that it knows whenever I run an application?
I don't mind hitting cmd-tab every time I load a new app..
1. Yes, but see #2
2. You can make an AppleScript out of this, but I don't know how you'd provide it with the application name as an argument in that case - so you can make it general, and run THAT with Automator.

iucakeov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Great, thanks for the reply!

I just did it and it looks like it worked, I loaded Photoshop and it just ran in the background.

Just to recap, this is what I did:

In the Automator, I created a new Application, and then added a "Run Shell Script" into the workflow.
I saved this into my Applications and named it something like "Open app in Background".
The reason why I saved it as an Application is so that I can go into the System Preferences / Users and add it as on of the Login items at startup, so that it would run every time I restart my computer.

Let's see how it holds up.

Thanks for all your help again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.