Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm debating spending nearly $3K an AirPlay speaker from Bang & Olufsen (link below).

I'm asking because if I spend this much money on a speaker, I want to be able to use it for 10+ years.

Do you think AirPlay technology will stick around for a long time, preferably a loooooong time? lol

http://www.beoplay.com/Products/BeoplayA9#just-add-music

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It would be good if the B&O gives u a set of WIRED jacks so they can function as normal speakers, not tied to Airplay, as needed.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm debating spending nearly $3K an AirPlay speaker from Bang & Olufsen (link below).

I'm asking because if I spend this much money on a speaker, I want to be able to use it for 10+ years.

Do you think AirPlay technology will stick around for a long time, preferably a loooooong time?

Good question. Might be worthwhile to shoot off an email to the Apple CEO and ask him if Apple is long-term committed to Airplay.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Do you think AirPlay technology will stick around for a long time, preferably a loooooong time? lol

Forgive me for asking, but don't you think investing $3000 in a mere speaker is an exorbitant choice?

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Forgive me for asking, but don't you think investing $3000 in a mere speaker is an exorbitant choice?

A little, but thats why I'm investigating before pulling the trigger. To me, Bang & Olufsen has a lot of similarities to Apple. Beautifully designed, simple, artistic, and pricey. This would be something I intend on keeping as long as possible, thats why I'd like the assurance that AirPlay will stick around as well.

Dyn-tec

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I am more of an audio guy than an Apple guy.

If there is no wired hookup, I would not do it.

We all know in 3 yrs there will be Airplay 2.0 and then Airplay 3.0....then everyone with "the original Airplay" will lose support, updates, etc...

I didn't look at the speaker link, but I would just buy a B&O receiver and wired speakers with airplay...just to be safe.

This is coming from the guy with a 2k 3D TV...other than looking awesome in the glasses, all they are good for is collecting dust...

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Read the link kinda fast but it seems like it has wired connectors too.

I think airplay will be around for awhile but wouldnt be surprised if down the road, apple found a really silly reason to change the specs of airplay to prevent usage on older tech. In those cases you can buy an updated airport express or something and wire it up without too much trouble.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
^+1.

In one swoop, 30-pin out, Lightening in, all 30-pins accessories to the museum. Just saying.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
AirPlay is here to stay, but personally I'd invest in a wired speaker, hooking it up to a receiver and use an AirPort Express that is optically connected to the receiver.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Who can even say with any certainty that the iPhone platform will be around in ten years considering the platform itself is only 6 years old now? Even the Blackberry phone is only 10 years old (and almost certainly will NOT be around in 10 years).

I'm not a doom-and-bloomer who is convinced disaster looms at every product introduction, but 10 years is a long time.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Who can even say with any certainty that the iPhone platform will be around in ten years considering the platform itself is only 6 years old now? Even the Blackberry phone is only 10 years old (and almost certainly will NOT be around in 10 years).

I'm not a doom-and-bloomer who is convinced disaster looms at every product introduction, but 10 years is a long time.

AirPlay is actually older than the iPhone and was released in 2004.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Looking at those speakers I can understand why you like the looks of them. I hope you have listened to them before deciding on them.

AirPlay should be around for a long time. And even if Apple updates the AirPlay protocol , it should still be compatible with the the current AirPlay speakers.

And worst case there is a line in you can use according to the web page you linked so at the least the speakers will still be useable even if something (which I doubt) happens to AirPlay.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd also ask yourself if YOU want to be using airplay and apple 10+ years from now. That's just too tight of an ecosystem for me personally.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I was going to start a similar thread like this not too long ago. What do you guys think about auxiliary jacks? What is their highest potential? It's amazing that they've been around as long as digital audio has been evolving.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
1. I suspect that most people that believe this is a lot of money to spend on speakers have never heard great home speakers.

2. The OP wants to keep the speakers for 10+ years. Ironically, most of the people commenting on this post will buy 5 $700 phones during that same time period (yes, the phone costs you that much whether you're paying the amount outright or subsidized over time). At the end of the 10 years you will have an outdated phone and great speakers will still sound great.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Phones, yes, but speakers, people tend to keep for a long time. There just isn't big innovations with speakers every 12 months.

I meant phones. I know the speakers will still be working, but in ten years Apple could be a memory.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
For sum1 with so many Apple toys, must say, u are non-believer? ^)

I'm a non believer in many things. I'm sure when Blackberry was on top its fans couldn't conceive of a day when BB wouldn't be around - just a few years later it's hard to imagine they're still in business. If I could predict 10 years out, I'd tell you what stocks to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.