Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
I have recently installed a tv above my fireplace in one of our living rooms, and it is a solid brick fireplace, and a bear to get wiring to. Is the Directv Genie truly wireless where I can just connect it to power and to the tv with an HDMI and it work, or does it need a coax connection? I am hoping it works like the UVerse wireless receiver where I can have just one connected to coax and others wireless.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, clarify the question. I have the DirecTV Genie and it is just an HDMI connection to the TV.

Yes, the box itself needs a coax connection from satt dish but, depending on your HDMI run, you don't necessarily need the box to be right next to the TV. For example, in my case, I have HDMI out to a receiver and then a long run of HDMI from the receiver to the TV (I don't recall the exact length but it's probably 12-20 feet in total). If you've managed to pre-wire for HDMI and Power for that TV, that should be good enough for the Genie. It (Genie box) will need to be around somewhere (the other end of your run of HDMI). I read your question like you are asking if you'll also need coax to the TV and that's not the case.

Another way I read the question is maybe you are actually talking about the smaller supporting boxes C31 or C41 instead of the DVR box (C34) itself. If so, they do need coax too but the answer above still applies. Put them where your run of HDMI away from the TV ends and that should work.

Maybe the problem is that where you ran the other end of that HDMI, you didn't also run some RG6? If so, RG6 is a lot easier to fish/flow through walls than HDMI.

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Rvu

I have the DirecTV genie box plugged into my wired network. Twelve Cat5e runs total throughout the house, all of which funnel to my office where I have a network switch connected to my cable modem/router.

2 of my TVs are RVU-enabled Samsung units. With the Genie and a RVU TV, all you need is power and ethernet. No coax necessary! The TV acts as its own client to your networked DVR server. Your brick fireplace poses a potential issue to this solution, but I believe RVU TVs can talk wirelessly, as well. I've never tried it because I'm hard-wired into the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.