Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rovio has released a number of Angry Birds titles since its original game took off in 2009, but today its first Angry Birds game received a significant update that adds Bad Piggies gameplay in the form of a new Egg Defender mode.

In Egg Defender mode, players will use the Red Bird (who has been equipped with new powers) to fight off wave after wave of Bad Piggies. Egg Defender mode adds 15 new levels to the original game, along with 73 pig contraptions.

piggies-800x600.jpg
The #1 app of all time gets a fun new update! You may be an expert pig popper, but how will you cope with a moving target? One bird stands between the egg and the advancing pig army in the all-new Red's Mighty Feathers episode. The fearless Red Bird faces wave after wave of Bad Piggies in their crazy contraptions. But wait! He now has some magic feathers from the Mighty Eagle himself - giving Red incredible new powers as he darts toward those pesky pigs at incredible speed!

Fun new gameplay - the Egg Defender mode gives Red special powers to attack the advancing pigs!

15 new levels - the latest Red's Mighty Feathers episode brings fresh new challenges!

73 crazy pig contraptions - wave after wave of Bad Piggies edging closer in their wacky machines!
Angry Birds is available for both the iPhone and the iPad for $0.99 and $2.99, respectively.

- Angry Birds for iPhone [Direct Link]
- Angry Birds HD for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: Original Angry Birds Updated with New Egg Defender Mode

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
Egg Defender is pretty laggy on my iPhone4... An it seems to be optimized for the iPhone5 display. Things you should see aren't displayed during the game :confused:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
And it's not one of those freemium games where you have to keep pouring money into it to actually advance, either.

It can be a freemium game if you decide to spend in app money to help you through a level. What is different is that you can actually make it through the game with effort and not be forced to spend money.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
I kind of lost a lot of respect for Renio as even in their paid version of their apps they still shove in tons of ads and try to make you buy a lot of crap.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I kind of lost a lot of respect for Renio as even in their paid version of their apps they still shove in tons of ads and try to make you buy a lot of crap.

If by 'Renio' you mean 'Rovio', I agree. I used to play Angry Birds a lot before they started shoving ads in my face and removed the button to disable them.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
It can be a freemium game if you decide to spend in app money to help you through a level. What is different is that you can actually make it through the game with effort and not be forced to spend money.

Exactly. You can actually realistically win the game and with practice, get 3 stars on all levels without paying a cent more than the app's price. If you're stuck on a level, want to speed things up, etc. you can choose to do an in-app purchase, but you don't need to. If someone is going to offer in-app purchases for games, I think that's how it should be.

mollyparrot

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
If you BUY the app, there are NO ads and there ARE free updates. :rolleyes:

Rovio have marketed and capitalized brilliantly, but they have been great to their customers. What other game has ever provided so much continuous free content once you've bought it? If they had wanted to be greedy, they could have been adding all the new levels as in-app purchases. I appreciate that they haven't resorted to that and I think it shows that the developers actually care that their users have a fun, satisfying and challenging experience.

Compare that to something like Candy Crush...

nnynas

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Rovio have marketed and capitalized brilliantly, but they have been great to their customers. What other game has ever provided so much continuous free content once you've bought it? If they had wanted to be greedy, they could have been adding all the new levels as in-app purchases. I appreciate that they haven't resorted to that and I think it shows that the developers actually care that their users have a fun, satisfying and challenging experience.

Compare that to something like Candy Crush...

+1

although I don't like Angry Birds that much, this is really the way to go, not that freemium BS or overpriced apps.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why is everyone so critical when there are Angry Birds articles? They still periodically put free updates in a 99-cent game that came out in 2009. (It's 2013 now.) And it's not one of those freemium games where you have to keep pouring money into it to actually advance, either.

What I have an issue with is the fact that there are dozens if not hundreds or thousands of lesser known apps that deserve more coverage, but MacRumors never touches, while they simultaneously decide to write Angry Birds articles every week.

As an example app they should cover, IDK, maybe one of MacWorld's favorite 50 apps from 2012 (I wonder which one I'm talking about...)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
What I have an issue with is the fact that there are dozens if not hundreds or thousands of lesser known apps that deserve more coverage, but MacRumors never touches, while they simultaneously decide to write Angry Birds articles every week.

As an example app they should cover, IDK, maybe one of MacWorld's favorite 50 apps from 2012 (I wonder which one I'm talking about...)

So you want your MAC app to be featured on the iPhone blog of MacRumors.

I'm sure if you really want MacRumors to feature your app you can pay for it as obviously they wouldn't randomly post about it otherwise. As it stands your app wouldn't generate anywhere near as much affiliate income for MacRumors as an AngryBirds link.

I do however agree that MR over-promotes AngryBirds updates. Taking a look at the top 100 games, or getting a few guest posts from their sister sites AppShopper and TouchArcade would be way better reading.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So you want your MAC app to be featured on the iPhone blog of MacRumors.

No, but they do have a Mac Blog (which they actually treat exactly like Page 2... Apple stores, Apple's executives, and Apple's minor court cases are all the sorts of news that they stick in the Mac Blog.)

I'm sure if you really want MacRumors to feature your app you can pay for it as obviously they wouldn't randomly post about it otherwise. As it stands your app wouldn't generate anywhere near as much affiliate income for MacRumors as an AngryBirds link.

Although this theory sounds plausible, it's not the case. MacRumors doesn't take bribes to run news stories. If they did, they'd be a deeply flawed news source with a questionable interest in actually sharing news. As is, when MacRumors stands to gain from you clicking on a link in a story, they mention it (IE, when they post about various sales during the Winter holidays, they mention that some of the retailers are giving MR a small portion of the revenue if you get to the page via the MR link.)

I am aware that MR has paid advertising banners, but I have no budget for anything.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Although this theory sounds plausible, it's not the case. MacRumors doesn't take bribes to run news stories. If they did, they'd be a deeply flawed news source with a questionable interest in actually sharing news. As is, when MacRumors stands to gain from you clicking on a link in a story, they mention it (IE, when they post about various sales during the Winter holidays, they mention that some of the retailers are giving MR a small portion of the revenue if you get to the page via the MR link.)

Take a look at every outgoing link - if its going to any 3rd party that sells stuff, its an affiliate link using Viglinks ;) Even if MacRumors dont mention it, every single post that links to an app is a moneymaker.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Take a look at every outgoing link - if its going to any 3rd party that sells stuff, its an affiliate link using Viglinks ;) Even if MacRumors dont mention it, every single post that links to an app is a moneymaker.

The indirect links point to MR's sister site, AppShopper, while the [Direct Links] go directly to the App Store pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.