Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
ambient light sensor? Do you mean the IR sensor? It detects remote controls...

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
The Black dot isn't an ambient light sensor? Sheet.

Who told you it was an ambient light sensor? That's not the sort of thing you just assume. I am interested to know :)

----------

Hence apple sells remotes for the mini, older models came with remotes and their long standing popularity as htpcs.

The remotes have no genuine function anyway on a mini. I bought one assuming I could control iTunes like I do on ATV3. What a waste of money. Well as least I have a backup remote now.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
opinio, not sure about your setup - but on my 2010 mini, the remote does quite a lot - via front row. Does yours not?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
opinio, not sure about your setup - but on my 2010 mini, the remote does quite a lot - via front row. Does yours not?

Apple discontinued Front Row in 2011. They've also removed the IR sensor from all the hardware redesigns after that.

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

I looked at front row that I used to have in an older version of OSX but and I understand it uses iTunes in the back end but I wanted it to navigate itunes itself because my two young girls know itunes inside-out and they use the Apple touch pad for it. Front row is more of an ATV style GUI right? Anyway they were complaining at the time so I went back to old (not so old) faithful because it is what they use (Apple Touchpad w/ iTunes).

But all I remember is that the only thing you could do in iTunes with the remote was play. You couldn't navigate through movies, music etc. Please prove me wrong otherwise. I only spent 5 minutes at the time and gave up.

I might take a second look at Front Row. I have so many audio/visual apps already though.

----------

Apple discontinued Front Row in 2011. They've also removed the IR sensor from all the hardware redesigns after that.

So the IR sensor in the current 2012 mini is a relic from yesteryear? Wooo how retro :)

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Did not realize they ditched it, reason # 435 I'm glad I stuck with SL.

So, Apple kept the IR sensor in the hardware, but removed the OS based functionality it once provided?

Why does this not surprise me? :rolleyes:

Edit: FYI, on the US Apple site - it still lists the IR port for the Mini.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Did not realize they ditched it, reason # 435 I'm glad I stuck with SL.

So, Apple kept the IR sensor in the hardware, but removed the OS based functionality it once provided?

Why does this not surprise me? :rolleyes:

Edit: FYI, on the US Apple site - it still lists the IR port for the Mini.

IR functionality still exists. One of the uses for my 2011 Mini is as a HTPC running Plex, and it works awesome with my Harmony remote.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I use mine to control both my minis at the same time to mute them when I have to take a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.