Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
So I have a dilemma... I will be graduating soon (Bachelor's in Healthcare Management and a BSN (Bachelor's in Nursing) since this will likely play role in your feedback) and I want to move from Pensacola, Florida. While we do have the most beautiful beaches in the nation, there really isn't much more here and I find it very uneventful. I know the grass is always greener but my five years here have been plenty enough and am certain I'll be happier elsewhere. The problem is that I'm exceptionally picky and am wanting the best of all worlds. I know Utopia doesn't exist but I'm hoping you guys can help me in my research.

Random facts. I'm 23 and what I'm looking for is somewhere modern, upkept, thriving, et cetera. I want to live somewhere that is not hot but where people are still very adventurous and love to get out. Somewhere with giant city parks where people are walking their dogs and reading books on the lawn of a hill; that kind of thing. I am a city guy but I don't want to live somewhere exceptionally crowded like say, Manhattan. Another thing that will play a big role in my decision is the weather. I love going to the beach, don't get me wrong. But I'm just not a fan of the heat. I'd like to live someplace that's cool and only moderately warm during the summer. Also, I'm somewhat stubborn about spending money on certain things. I'm not wanting to spend an inane amount of money on living expenses. I do understand that I'm not going to find cheap places to live in a thriving, medium sized metropolitan area. I don't mind renting for the first few years but I definitely plan on buying/building a house. I also want somewhere that'd be considered a good place to start a family and the lowest crime rate possible.

Places in mind. The first place I fell in love with was Austin. It seemed to be the the perfect place. It is growing, the job market isn't terrible, cost of living is pretty darn good given the state of the economy. No matter what research I'm pursuing it seems that Austin is always there. I'd prefer to be in a more conservative area but a liberal area is not going to stop me from moving somewhere I genuinely fall in love with; I just want to be surrounded by decent people. That's not to say liberals are indecent, but people generally "click" better with people they share the same views with and I'd hate to live somewhere and feel like a minority. I also heard the nightlife is great here which is something that's important to me as well. I love music and I love going out. The one thing that is really turning me off is the heat. I already am not a fan of the Florida sun and I couldn't imagine weeks, even months, of 95 to 100 degree weather.

Portland. Apparently this is of the "trendiest" places you could move in 2013. In my research I've found that many people find Portland to be overrated yet it seems to top the "best cities to live", "the best place to start a family", and "the best cities of the near-future" list. One thing that I will love about Portland is the weather. While depressing to many, I love the rainy and over-casted environment. Often times people say this and discover they really miss the sun after a year or two but I'm almost certain that won't be me. Portland is said to be the greenest city in America which I also love. People love to get out and do things here as well. The cost of living, from what I've discovered, seems to be on the rise but not quite as much as other popular metropolises... yet.

Seattle. Seattle seems to have that modern, new, fresh, feel that I'm wanting but the cost of living is said to be exceedingly high there. With my education I will be making a fair amount of money (average middle class I assume) but I most certainly won't be wealthy, at least not until I've continued my education and acquired more experience in the field. I don't want to have to worry about money all that much... is Seattle out of the question?

I am excited to hear what you guys have to say and your thoughts on different places. Please suggest some of your own and ask me question to help me further decide what place is best for me. This post is sloppy and quickly thrown together but the basic facts should be here. Thanks!

Last edited:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
It gets hot as balls here in Austin.

But other than that, it fits the bill perfectly. I love the city.

Which is unfortunate because even thought everything I want seems to be in Austin I can't stand the thought of that heat. Mid 80's and low 90's in the summer is quite enough for me here in Florida. :(

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Which is unfortunate because even thought everything I want seems to be in Austin I can't stand the thought of that heat. Mid 80's and low 90's in the summer is quite enough for me here in Florida. :(

You could move to Ohio. The winters are cold and the summers are milder than most places, and the cost of living isn't that high in some places from what I can remember.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
Chicago. If you don't mind the cold for 6 months out of the year Chicago is the perfect place. You will still have your sweltering hot and humid summer months along with a very pleasant fall. There are lots and lots of parks where people hang out as well as a beautiful lakefront.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You have a large list of requirements that will pigeonhole you into a few select places. That's not bad except that unless you're sitting on a ton of cash and do not need to work, you're likely going to go where work will be. If you have a BSN then are you planning on being a nurse? I know a handful of nurses and their salaries range drastically. Point is, getting a job right out of school is somewhat difficult from what I've witnessed. You'll be able to pick any hospital, but I'd say move after you've landed the job. Apply to many and be certain you'll be ready to go.

Denver is great, San Diego is amazing, Seattle is absolutely not out of the question, and Portland is nice. These places have mild summers or summers with fewer 100+ days. The ideal of you being absolutely against spending a fair amount of money on living expenses is problematic. You'll soon find that in many cases the higher cost of living has plenty to do with climate, among many other things. This is where the real world smacks you upside the ass. I fully understand wishing to spend less than a certain percentage of income on living. I was born and raised in Southern California, I am more than accoustomed to paying for the beauty of weather, beaches, and all that. I live in another state and I appreciate things here I couldn't have in So. Cal. without lots more saving.

Just food for thought. You may find yourself having to live someplace you're not thrilled with before you land the job you want in the place you want.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Boston is a very nice city. Small, walkable, cultural stuff abounds, good restaurants, and outdoorsy ares within very easy striking distance.

And we have all 4 seasons...:D

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
You have a large list of requirements that will pigeonhole you into a few select places. That's not bad except that unless you're sitting on a ton of cash and do not need to work, you're likely going to go where work will be. If you have a BSN then are you planning on being a nurse? I know a handful of nurses and their salaries range drastically. Point is, getting a job right out of school is somewhat difficult from what I've witnessed. You'll be able to pick any hospital, but I'd say move after you've landed the job. Apply to many and be certain you'll be ready to go.

Denver is great, San Diego is amazing, Seattle is absolutely not out of the question, and Portland is nice. These places have mild summers or summers with fewer 100+ days. The ideal of you being absolutely against spending a fair amount of money on living expenses is problematic. You'll soon find that in many cases the higher cost of living has plenty to do with climate, among many other things. This is where the real world smacks you upside the ass. I fully understand wishing to spend less than a certain percentage of income on living. I was born and raised in Southern California, I am more than accoustomed to paying for the beauty of weather, beaches, and all that. I live in another state and I appreciate things here I couldn't have in So. Cal. without lots more saving.

Just food for thought. You may find yourself having to live someplace you're not thrilled with before you land the job you want in the place you want.

I'm currently working as an Emergency tech and have been at this trauma center since I graduated high school in 2008 and although this is not standard practice I am almost certain the clinical manager will let me slide right into an ER RN position. I plan on working for a year once I become an RN here and then moving. While I'm working as an RN I will be going to school "full time" for Spanish so that I may become fluent in the language. Hopefully with two 4-year degrees, a second language, and 6-7 years in the emergency medicine environment (1 as a nurse) I'll be able to get a job as an RN wherever I want... that's what I'm hoping at least.

I really find Austin to be IDEAL for me in every aspect except that damn weather. Is anyone here from Austin? I'd love all your input, not just regarding weather but about anything.

I'm also still very open to ideas, stories, and suggestions so keep the feedback coming! Thanks guys. :) :apple:

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Boston is a very nice city.
And we have all 4 seasons...:D

Shrink - we had all 4 seasons, however I think we've since switched to digital with our seasons. We didn't stop with TV, we had to take things just one step further...

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I know Austin is the most liberal place in Texas, but any city mentioned is still more liberal than Austin.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I would say the sf Bay Area in particular somewhere between San Francisco and San Jose on the peninsula side, though cost of living is high.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
minneapolis/st paul.

fittest city in the nation, tons and tons and tons of parks/lakes/outdoorsy stuff even right in the city, very trendy (recently voted one of the top 5 snootiest cities in the country based on factors such as cultural diversity, number of museums, theaters, etc. also consistently voted as a top place to raise a family. also good size but not huge, somewhat reasonable cost of living, and st paul and minneapolis give you two big cities in one, both with different feels and attractions. minneapolis is also the most biker friendly city in the nation.

dont worry about the -40 windchills in january;)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
While we do have the most beautiful beaches in the nation,

I would rank the Sarasota FL beaches much higher :D.

You should probably concentrate on getting the best job for yourself rather than on the final destination. Apply for careers in all the locations you might like and let the best job offer make the decision for you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
... I am almost certain the clinical manager will let me slide right into an ER RN position.

The problem with this thought process is that the CM may let you slide in but they'd have to have a ton of pull throughout the hospital to get you past the bureaucratic BS that you probably know is prolific in hospitals. If it all works easily for you then great. You'll be truly fortunate to appreciate the special favor without hiccups.

It sounds like you knew where you wanted to go before you asked the question though. If you are insistent on Austin then I would certainly head for there. I moved from So. Cal. to NC and the weather is absolutely different. Summers are hot and sticky here whereas in So. Cal. they're just hot. I do enjoy the four seasons quite a bit though. So maybe you can live with Austin. You're not going to be the first person who has to deal with adapting to new weather conditions.

Good luck to you buddy.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I want to live somewhere that is not hot but where people are still very adventurous and love to get out.

Minnesota, Colorado, Montana, Washington State, New Hampshire. (Warning: Minnesota gets cold.) It would be worthwhile to find one of those City/State comparison books to evaluate quality of living and issues such as State Income Tax. New Hampshire= 0. Minnesota is relatively high.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Minnesota, Colorado, Montana, Washington State, New Hampshire. (Warning: Minnesota gets cold.)

Minnesota gets cold!?:confused::eek:

I visited friends there during the Winter (I was in Grad School and my judgement was seriously impaired by the ingestion of consciousness altering substances) and it was way more than cold. It was beyond cold! Overnights approached absolute zero, daytime approached the temperature of liquid nitrogen.

Yeah...cold!:eek:

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I'm biased, but I recommend Charleston. MUSC is a fairly prominent medical university here (who seemingly is always hiring). Plus, downtown is pretty cool. Lots of quirky interesting bars, a few okay clubs. Wonderful restaurants. And approximately a 7-1 female to male ratio at the College of Charleston.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

I visited friends there during the Winter (I was in Grad School and my judgement was seriously impaired by the ingestion of consciousness altering substances) and it was way more than cold. It was beyond cold! Overnights approached absolute zero, daytime approached the temperature of liquid nitrogen.

I love Minnesota. Who else envies Canada's mild winters and lack of snow?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Cost of living may be a little higher (and then there's the taxes) but Saratoga, NY is a beautiful city, certainly walkable. It has the racetrack (horses, not cars but there one of those a few miles South), wonderful Victorian architecture and is in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Lake George is a short ride away, the Catskills are accessible.

If you don't mind a short commute, there are more-than-affordable apartments about 20 minutes South (<$850/month for 1,000 sq. ft. 2 BR with attached garage). There is public transit (CDTA) but I don't know what they run in Saratoga, I just know they run TO Saratoga.

TONS of national history in the area - Saratoga Battlefield, Ft. Ticonderoga, Erie Canal, Albany.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Hey, it's all relative. When I lived in Minnesota and flew between there and Texas, in the Winter, people would get off the plane in Minneapolis and say "I don't know how people live here". And in the Summer people would get off the plane in Houston and say the same thing! :p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hey, it's all relative. When I lived in Minnesota and flew between there and Texas, in the Winter, people would get off the plane in Minneapolis and say "I don't know how people live here". And in the Summer people would get off the plane in Houston and say the same thing! :p

And they were right both times!

Summer in Houston, Winter in Minnesota...both to be avoided if humanly possible! :p ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
And they were right both times!

Summer in Houston, Winter in Minnesota...both to be avoided if humanly possible! :p ;)

Curious as to where you live in New England? If I had a choice (as in not married) I'd seriously consider New Hampshire for the tax advantages, mountains, and climate. I love the North woods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.