Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
it's strange to see that they decided to go with the old 30 pin port than the new lightning port.

IPad 2's are much cheaper, the interface is more well known and cheaper and business don't need zomg Retina. 1024 res is fine.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So you think consumers should be able to call these guys up and tell them what to sell, regardless of how little business sense it makes for them? And, in case you missed it, this is not a consumer product. It's not marketed to technology addicts who want the latest model of iPad, its for business owners who could seriously not give a damn whether it has a Retina screen or not.
No matter who is buying it... they're a 'consumer' of the product. I'm well aware this is for small business owners looking for an affordable PoS system... I'm just saying the lack of options there is a little surprising. I'm sure they'll add it later... and right now I've no use for an iPad, but this thing may just give me an excuse to get one when I start my biz possibly sometime next year. It's certainly a cool idea and I've used the Square phone app quite a lot for side jobs and such. I'm sure if this catches on enough it'll evolve to be quite a system.

And what do you know what business owners give a damn about? I would certainly prefer the higher rez screen... considering it makes the menu text easier to read, among other things.

And considering the Retina iPad is only 100 dollars more than the iPad 2...

Last edited:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
As for the Europe/Non-US Chip-PIN folks, this isn't designed for you. Almost no one in the US has Chip-PIN cards. Until recently, without a great deal of effort, they were almost impossible to obtain here. It's the problem of inventing and then deploying widely a technology that has long-term downsides. The rest of the world, doing more copying rather than inventing, gets to learn from our mistakes (GSM is a prime example of where Europe took a technology we invented and made it much better).

I don't think this is the case - it's not as if Europe adopted credit cards using Chip and PIN from the off; up until a few years ago we used the same magnetic strip/signature combination on our cards just like you do in the U.S. So, in fact, with a population of more than double that of the U.S. (though credit/debit card usage may be more directly comparable) I would imagine the transition to the Chip & PIN system was probably no less of a challenge for Europe than it would be for the U.S, indeed the number of different countries involved could have added to the difficulties.

greg12345a

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
I don't think this is the case - it's not as if Europe adopted credit cards using Chip and PIN from the off; up until a few years ago we used the same magnetic strip/signature combination on our cards just like you do in the U.S. So, in fact, with a population of more than double that of the U.S. (though credit/debit card usage may be more directly comparable) I would imagine the transition to the Chip & PIN system was probably no less of a challenge for Europe than it would be for the U.S, indeed the number of different countries involved could have added to the difficulties.

It depends from country I guess but in Poland most of the transactions with credit cards are done via PIN system.

jjwarwick

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Canada does PIN numbers too, but when I bring my card across the border I just need to swipe. They would need to introduce pins worldwide and not allow just a swipe and signature to combat is.

Of course none of this combats online illegal usages......

In Europe we have chip and pin for store transactions, and 3D secure (Verified by Visa/Mastercard Securecode) for online transactions. It's basically a PIN number you use online within a retailers checkout.

Both of these technologies are about 5 years old and in the UK are certainly mandatory. I have no idea why the US banks would ignore technologies that have significantly reduced fraud.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007

Chip-PIN only give the illusion of security. In reality, chip-PIN was broken back in the mid-80's, when it was first deployed in payphone cards (EU having a problem with vandalism, coin phones are all but almost extinct. And besides, communication prices typically varies according to the time of the day so makes more sense to bill per unit than for a fixed price). The engineer who found the vulnerability was imprisoned for publishing it.

Only low-end fraudsters can be defeated with chip-PIN cards, and most fraud still happen by installing trapped payment terminals at willing retailers' stores, or by snatching a pic of both sides of credit cards. Even the chip can't do anything against that.

But relax, even EU retailers can take magstripe + signature from Americans who don't have a chip. I am not sure what happens when you want to pay with a chip-PIN in a non-chip-PIN enabled retailer. Properly configured terminals will ask for magstripe I guess.

I still come accross customers who just replaced their chipless cards with a chipped one. AFAIK deployment was not really sped up here in Canada, and I guess is still limited by how fast retailers upgrade their payment terminals. As some of them must pay a large premium to upgrade, they don't have any incentive to accept chipped cards.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Carefully read the post. For legibility, I agree, they should have added the word 'only', at the end of the sentence.

I think someone changed or deleted their comment. I was replying to someone who suggested the article should say its compatible with the iPad mini and 4th Gen iPad.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Well I'm not sure, since my areas of expertise are the spelling of ridiculous, and the construction of the phrase couldn't care less.

Nevertheless I'm fairly sure vice versa isn't strictly limited to the transposition of subject and object, and is therefore prone to ambiguity. I'm absolutely sure though, that vice versa is an adverb and so your phrase the vice versa of a is b makes as much grammatical sense as the quickly of slow is fast.

:p
ಠ_ಠ Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.