Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Looking at those speakers I can understand why you like the looks of them. I hope you have listened to them before deciding on them.

AirPlay should be around for a long time. And even if Apple updates the AirPlay protocol , it should still be compatible with the the current AirPlay speakers.

And worst case there is a line in you can use according to the web page you linked so at the least the speakers will still be useable even if something (which I doubt) happens to AirPlay.

Ya I've listened to them a few times and the quality is stunning. Like you said, it's very reassuring to know there is a wired possibility, but with something that cool looking, I love it not plugged into a device.

----------

1. I suspect that most people that believe this is a lot of money to spend on speakers have never heard great home speakers.

2. The OP wants to keep the speakers for 10+ years. Ironically, most of the people commenting on this post will buy 5 $700 phones during that same time period (yes, the phone costs you that much whether you're paying the amount outright or subsidized over time). At the end of the 10 years you will have an outdated phone and great speakers will still sound great.

That's a wonderful point, and a great way of helping me decide to buy it :D

Like mentioned, smartphone technology moves much faster than speaker technology. You never see people using first gen iPhones, and those are 6 years old. My grandfather still has Bang & Olufsen speakers that are 20+ years old. That's why if I spend all that money, I want to make sure not only it will work for a long time, but that all the features (such as AirPlay) will still be a possibility.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
You could get great audio for much less with an airplay audio receiver and a set of good speakers. Won't look as good, but ...

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
You could get great audio for much less with an airplay audio receiver and a set of good speakers. Won't look as good, but ...

Do you have any recommendations you could link me towards?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think AirPlay is going anywhere anytime soon. Remember it's been around even before the iPhone in a way of an AirPort Express and iTunes on your computer.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
For everyone that didn't follow the link, the speakers have mini jack and "phono" connectors. They also support the open streaming standard DLNA. So OP you have another streaming technology available.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'm asking because if I spend this much money on a speaker, I want to be able to use it for 10+ years.
If you're worried about long term use then get a good set of speakers, a receiver/amp and an Airplay solution (if the receiver doesn't include it) like the ATV or Airport Express. That way if Airplay does die off you still have good speakers. No one can guarantee anything with tech. As you yourself pointed out, the tech world moves much faster than the audio world in this regard.

If you value the all-in-one aspect then by all means go for the Beoplay or similar. In general, I'm personally not a fan of all-in-one solutions because they tend to have more points of failure than dedicated separates. I'd also prefer having digital inputs but that preference may not be relevant to you. I wouldn't be so concerned about Airplay disappearing but more with regard to it being supplanted by a better solution down the road. That said, I'd consider such a solution for specific applications where lack of room and/or appearance would be a higher priority to me. You have to make the call based on your preferences and priorities.

3k speakers. Wow.
Forgive me for asking, but don't you think investing $3000 in a mere speaker is an exorbitant choice?
3K isn't even near the upper limit of what speakers go for. Lots of things can seem pricey when you're not familiar with the range of options. Additionally, these aren't "just speakers" and design like this doesn't come for free either.

I suspect that most people that believe this is a lot of money to spend on speakers have never heard great home speakers.
People have varying preferences on all topics. Not everyone chooses to spend the money for high end speakers. Some are restrained by budgets that prevent them from doing so. Some just don't care and can't tell the difference. Nothing wrong with any of the options but we all choose where to spend our time attention and money and it's not always in the same areas from person to person. One person's "exorbitant" can be another's "acceptable" (or any number of other adjectives).

I don't own $3K speakers. I have some Magnepans that come in just under $1K but I could see moving up to their higher end models -- though maybe not all the way to the 20.7's which run ~$14K. One never knows and one can't assess that which one hasn't experienced though many seem willing to pass judgement anyway.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.