Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skippydumptruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
Hello,

The green LED lights on my iBook battery lights are not lit while running on battery power, but will light while charging. When I press the little button on the battery (what does that do, by the way?) it will light all four LEDs for a few seconds, and then go dark again. Is this normal functioning, and if so, why have the battery indicator and not have it active while on battery power? Is there a way to turn the LED lights on or off? Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The little lights simply show how full your battery is. Pressing that button turns them on (as you found out) but there is no way of keeping them turned on permanently. That would be a bit of a waste of power anyway. :)

Four lights means full, flashing single light means pretty close to flat. :(

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
skippydumptruck said:
Hello,

The green LED lights on my iBook battery lights are not lit while running on battery power, but will light while charging. When I press the little button on the battery (what does that do, by the way?) it will light all four LEDs for a few seconds, and then go dark again. Is this normal functioning, and if so, why have the battery indicator and not have it active while on battery power? Is there a way to turn the LED lights on or off? Thanks!

When you push the button it will indicate the battery charge, all four LED's=full charge. :eek:

Because it uses up battery power. :D

No. :(

skippydumptruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
Thanks for all the replies. I just switched last week, so I wanted to make sure my new mac was operating as planned ;)

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
If they were supposed to be on all the time, there would be no need for a button.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
4 LED's???

i thought there were 5, well there is on the powerbooks...

each light represents 20% battery capacity

if there are 4, well, do the maths.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
ibook = four lights = easier to understand = students!

powerbook = five lights = particle physics like complexity = grey and wise!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.