Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_icon_170.jpg
As first noted by The Verge, a number of popular paid App Store apps have been discounted to free for the first time in their histories today.

While no specific announcement regarding the sales has been given, Wednesday marks the App Store's fifth anniversary and it is possible that Apple will be rolling out a special promotion in honor of the occasion. With no additional information available, it is currently unknown how long these sales will last.

Among the popular titles noticed so far:

- BADLAND, regularly $3.99 [Direct Link]
- Barefoot World Atlas, regularly $4.99 [Direct Link]
- Day One, regularly $4.99 [Direct Link]
- How to Cook Everything, regularly $9.99 [Direct Link]
- Infinity Blade II, regularly $6.99 [Direct Link]
- Over, regularly $1.99 [Direct Link]
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, regularly $4.99 [Direct Link]
- Traktor DJ, regularly $19.99) [Direct Link]
- Traktor DJ for iPhone, regularly $4.99 [Direct Link]
- Tiny Wings, regularly $0.99 [Direct Link]
- Tiny Wings HD, regularly $2.99 [Direct Link]
- Where's My Water?, regularly $0.99 [Direct Link]

Last week, Apple sent out commemorative posters to members of the media in celebration of the App Store's fifth anniversary, and less than two months ago Apple celebrated 50 billion downloads since the store's opening.

Update: Apple has now officially launched its "5 Years of the App Store" promotion [App Store link] featuring the above apps.
From the 500 apps available at launch in 2008 to the more than 900,000 at your fingertips today, it's been a remarkably prolific five years for the App Store. To celebrate, we're giving everyone five landmark games and five groundbreaking apps for a limited time. Plus, look back at the key moments that have made the App Store the world's most innovative destination for apps.
app_store_5_years_promo.jpg
The feature also includes a timeline of milestones similar to that seen on the promotional posters sent to members of the media last week.

Article Link: Several Top Apps Go Free Ahead of App Store's Fifth Anniversary [Updated]

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Already downloaded a few of these this morning! At least this time everyone gets to celebrate with a gift.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Hmm wondering will they ever discount their own applications? Bought all of them except "numbers".

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
i'm glad i didn't spend $2.99 on tiny wings. why was this so popular?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Can't complain about free stuff. But I bet you someone will..

Oh my God, free stuff? First Apple screw us over by releasing new products, rendering my OLD 2005 PowerBook G4 COMPLETELY obsolete :mad: Then they discount products that I paid for ages ago because I enjoyed them, and made them free? :mad: They should keep everything expensive for everybody else so I don't feel bad about my purchases. :mad:

Honestly, Apple's completely gone downhill since Steve died. Steve would never have allowed this. Tim Cook is a rubbish CEO. Apple should start innovating rather than spending their time in courtrooms. iOS 7 looks like it was designed by a child with crayons, whilst wearing oven gloves. Android rocks, Apple are just copying. Apple are doomed. /s

I think that's pretty much covered everything guys ;)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Awesome! Picked up Badland and Tiny Wings HD for my iPad! Thanks Apple!

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

...Because it's a great game!

Heh. Well, I loved it anyway. You might like it better as you get a little better at it. And at its current price you can't go wrong.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA

To each their own with apps. I personally love Tiny Wings (and play almost no games in general). A fun game without the 'stressed out' feeling. I get stressed enough programming all day :)

I'm glad I paid for both iPhone and iPad version.

Andrewleonardi

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
Well isn't this bittersweet? Painful to see apps you just paid for go on sale for free! But I will not complain because I do not have all of these apps! Thanks Apple! High five.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
The Barefoot world atlas download is huge, you need about 4 gig free for the installer, not good if you've only got a 16GB device.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You forgot to call us fanboys, but otherwise, I think you covered it.

Haha! Can't believe I forgot about that, well spotted. They say Android is about choice, but if you choose iOS then you're nuthin' but a deluded 'fanboi'. Or an 'iSheep'. Damn crApple products, hurr durr :D

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Got them all just cuz :cool:

Agreed. I did the same. I'll likely try them all, but even if I don't like them, they're now in my history, for free re-download - forever.

I'm most excited about Tiny Wings, though. :p Good stuff! Simple, pick-up-and-play good stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.