Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Kantar Worldpanel has released a new report (via The Next Web) highlighting U.S. smartphone sales over the March-May period, finding that Apple's share of the market rose by 3.5 percentage points compared to the prior-year period. The report attributes that growth to the iPhone becoming available on T-Mobile USA, the last of the four major U.S. carriers to begin offering the device.
Consequently, with Android remaining unchanged (+0.1%) to date this year, the gap between the two leading operating systems has decreased, according to data released today by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.

Through the 3 month period ending May 2013, Android continues to lead smartphone sales at 52%. Close behind is iOS with 41.9% of sales. Windows remains in third with 4.6% of sales, up 0.9% versus the same period last year.
kantar_may13_smartphones_us.jpg
According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.

Article Link: iPhone Tops T-Mobile USA's Smartphone Sales as Carrier Expansion Drives Growth for Apple

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Research firm Kantar Worldpanel has released a new report (via The Next Web) highlighting U.S. smartphone sales over the March-May period, finding that Apple's share of the market rose by 3.5 percentage points compared to the prior-year period. The report attributes that growth to the iPhone becoming available on T-Mobile USA, the last of the four major U.S. carriers to begin offering the device.According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.

Article Link: iPhone Tops T-Mobile USA's Smartphone Sales as Carrier Expansion Drives Growth for Apple

Doesn't the chart say that android phones outsold iOS phones? :confused:

I'm guessing the iPhone5 sold the most of any device and Apple is very likely the best selling single manufacturer, though.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

I'm guessing the iPhone5 sold the most of any device and Apple is very likely the best selling single manufacturer, though.

The chart is showing the US market, while the headline refers to T-Mobile only.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

EDIT: Sorry, I see what you're getting at. It's obvious though that Android sales were slowing significantly at T-mobile.
Only iOS, android and windows will remain in the world for battle.

Windows phone has been out long before the iPhone was even thought of and to this day it's still struggling the same as it's always been. Sorry but the only cell phone battle that Microsoft will be involved in is their own against themselves.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL

Android phones as a whole outsold iOS phones. But if you take individual overall smartphone sales, that was lead by the iPhone 5.

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
I was finally able to get an iPhone because T-Mobile is the only provider I don't feel dirty giving money to. Fortunately I'm in an LTE market! :D

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.

T-Mobile might do better, if they would stop confusing potential customers with already several changes to their pricing structure, since April.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Samsung is very likely the best selling single manufacturer.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
after two weeks with my Galaxy S3 that i got from work, not surprised people are dumping android for iphone

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Windows phone has been out long before the iPhone was even thought of and to this day it's still struggling the same as it's always been. Sorry but the only cell phone battle that Microsoft will be involved in is their own against themselves.

Windows vs Blackberry for the ultra hipster market? :p

----------

Samsung is very likely the best selling single manufacturer.

With that narrow of a gap between iOS and Android on T-Mobile USA, I doubt it. Motorola, HTC, etc would have to be selling very few.

----------

I didn't care about Blackberry until the CEO and others made a huge deal about how they were going to rebrand and take over the smartphone market with amazing innovation that would blow away every other company, and all the news stations made it seem like an amazing comeback in the making. Now I just want them to lose. Look at their stock and sales :D

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

Please read the article.

According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Blackberry appears to have died in the same period.
I would say this is a bigger contributor than T-Mobile.
If you want an iPhone, you know where to go already.

Windows had a stellar growth period (30%?).

Seems like Blackberrys losses went to Apple and Microsoft, to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.